• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by WHID View Post
    Took the car for a short spin today (6km).
    I think it's important that you confirm this was round trip. If it was one way the storm-troopers may already be inbound.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• WHID
      • Oct 2019
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
      I think it's important that you confirm this was round trip. If it was one way the storm-troopers may already be inbound.
      Ha ha ha! Yep! Round trip confirmed.

Almost suggested that I am Billy not silly, but cannot, because I was well down the 'silliness' track today. The inability to detach that spare was doin' me 'ead in - big time.

Cheers . . . abiding by the law.
      Last edited by WHID; 11-09-20, 11:43 PM.
      Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• tonero
        • Sep 2020
        • USA

Originally posted by WHID View Post
        It's a pretty simple concept . . . isn't it? All I want to do is equip myself with the ability to change a wheel if I have to. I cannot even free the spare from the car.

To bring the plate attached to the chain which holds the spare wheel in place, through the centre of the wheel so as to remove it (the wheel) from under the car.

Might be cause for you to all have yet another laugh at this engineering 'genius' (and I use the term not so advisedly).

Geez, God save me; it cannot be so bloody difficult, can it? To move the plate to one side then bring the other side of it up through the centre of the wheel so as the free it (the wheel) from the chain and plate.

Crawling around with this ancient and decrepit body, knee pads fitted, huffing, puffing, cursing my way through the exercise with not a hope in Hades of completing the task. It is still under the car as I write.

Someone save me please. Is there a 'trick' to such a simple task? Because, right now with both metaphoric and real storm clouds looming, it has me flipping well beaten. Something or someone may well be dismantled - in a spirited outburst

Just went out and had another go . . . I notice the neighbours have drawn the curtains again and also ushered their young children to the 'safe' side of their homes.
        hey, there is no trick exactly, you have to be able to roll the tire down find a good position make sure the car is parked on a level round and try again

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
          • Sep 2019
          • NZ

I'm past the big seven oh so had better do a dummy run, my old '95 surf had the same system and was a piece of cake, what's the difference between them, does anyone know?
          Cheers
          PS hope you got over it and did the final leg without a heart attack. Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by nvll.mrrs View Post
            I'm past the big seven oh so had better do a dummy run, my old '95 surf had the same system and was a piece of cake, what's the difference between them, does anyone know?
            Cheers
            PS hope you got over it and did the final leg without a heart attack. Thanks for the laugh.

Same system as all utes and wagons with an under slung spare tyre.
            Issue with the Pajero Sport, Challenger and Triton is the centre bore hole in the wheel is much smaller than most other makes.
            I still prefer it to rear door mounted spare tyres.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• DID Dash
              • Aug 2016
              • Australia

I swap between off-road and highway tyres for rough trips so am pretty good at tyre changes. I find it best to wind the chain down a fair bit so there is room to move the retainer in the wheel centre. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy.
              17MY Pajero Sport, Factory Towbar, King Springs KCRS-23/Pedders 5899 Cones, 265/70R17 A/T's for the rough trips.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011
                • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by DID Dash View Post
                I swap between off-road and highway tyres for rough trips so am pretty good at tyre changes. I find it best to wind the chain down a fair bit so there is room to move the retainer in the wheel centre. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy.
                With my lifted suspension and running 235 wide tyre's, the chain is too short so I have to lift the tyre up to get enough slack in the chain to jiggle the chain and hub bore plate out of the hub bore.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                  • Sep 2019
                  • NZ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Same system as all utes and wagons with an under slung spare tyre.
                  Issue with the Pajero Sport, Challenger and Triton is the centre bore hole in the wheel is much smaller than most other makes.
                  I still prefer it to rear door mounted spare tyres.

OJ.
                  Thanks for that I also had an old Pajero 2.3 and a Nissan 2.7 with the spare wheel on a gate over the rear door and it was a daily hassle to open the rear door without hitting a car or cyclist passing by, then if you didn't latch it up fully what a weapon [emoji106]

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X