• Show
Clear All
  • likatiger
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • WAMBERAL NSW

Sat Nav systems

Hi all,

I am thinking of replacing the very inadequate sat/nav of the MMCS -V1 that is in my 2012 NW.
    I am drawn toward the Hema HX-1 but do not know much about them.

Have any forum members had any experience with the Hema ones or are there better/cheaper ones around.
    I would like to replace the whole NW system and still maintain the steering wheel controls etc. is that possible ?

Thank you
    NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

There are a number of options available, and it really depends on how much you are prepared to spend. There are some for around $400 or if you buy a name brand look towards $2000.

you will also most likely need a harness and a new surround so add a couple hundred to you initial purchase price
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Instead of a Hema HX-1, which is around $500, buy a Samsung Tab A 8" tablet for about $270.

Load it with Ozi Explorer which is $45 including a 250K Aus map or $32 with no maps.

Mine sits on the ledge in front of the MM display held there with double sided tape on the bottom and the top and never moves, even on rough tracks. It covers the original display but that's not needed and you just peel it off when you don't need to use the tablet around home.

The tablet can also do all the other stuff like hold all your music and play it through the car bluetooth, access the internet for emails and web browsing etc.

You can buy extra maps online like the Hema 150k set for all of Australia or 25k DSE maps for Vic and NSW. I've also converted some paper maps to digital Ozi format so that's another option.

You should also get a copy for the home computer which you can then plot ytracks on, add waypoints and transfer them to your tablet for a trip. It records the daily track logs and conversely, you transfer those back to the computer for future reference.

It's a fabulous program and well supported by the maker here in Aus.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• likatiger
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks Tickey and Ian, all good info that I can research to get the best option for me.
        Thank you.
        NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

I've done a series of 5 tutorials on using Ozi Explorer for our 4WD club and loaded them up on YouTube If your interested.
          (Idlers 4WD Club) Hope it's ok to post that on here, Admin please delete if not.

Ps, I have no affiliation with the developer at all, just a happy user.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Paul (SA)
            • Apr 2013
            • Australia

This is only one person's opinion but I would save your money and use your mobile phone.

Data plans are getting more and more generous and if you can get the Hema Explorer from your App Store and a decent phone mount you will be way ahead on all counts.

The days of Sat Nav in cars is fast becoming numbered.

Comment

• likatiger
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • WAMBERAL NSW

Thanks Ian & Paul I will have a look at those options. Being of senior age, modern phones and technology do not come easily to me but I will investigate.
              Thanks, Larry

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Paul (SA) View Post
                This is only one person's opinion but I would save your money and use your mobile phone.

Data plans are getting more and more generous and if you can get the Hema Explorer from your App Store and a decent phone mount you will be way ahead on all counts.

The days of Sat Nav in cars is fast becoming numbered.
                Having used sat nav on my phone and on a bigger screen I will choose a bigger screen every time.

Having said the above, I use an Android tablet for navigation in my Pajero, because I find the stock factory position too low, and subject to nasty reflections (depending on the position of the sun).

I refuse to have an Android Auto head unit, as I want to use my phone for Torque Pro, and it irritates me the prices some companies want to charge for an essentially dumb piece of electronics. I like the concept of head units running a full OS, but I don't understand why the market seems to be dominated by cheap units with disappointing performance - where are the mid-range units that cost less than the Alpine / Kenwood / Pioneer systems, but actually do what their specs promise without aggravation?
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Way too small to read as you drive in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, data plans don't help if you don't have service and running Ozi on a tablet doesn't use mobile data anyway, connected or not. Same as any GPS.

Comment

• 1533rl
                    • Jun 2007
                    • armadale wa

Sat Navs

Thanks Ian for the direction to your utube vids, I use a similar system to yours , mainly as I have an older paj that does not have an in-car system. I use a 7" tablet but would love to mount a 65" 4K screen in the car so I could read it without my reading glasses !!!
                    PM sent re the vids.
                    Cheers
                    Peter

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

A mate of mine has a Ford Ranger which is a few years old came with an inbuilt off road Nav system. It runs Ozi Explorer but not very well. It's slow to react, the screen is small and the menu system is hard to get your head around. But the main issue is the way the screen is set in the car, which means it's exposed to direct sun a lot of the time and not readable. He made a cover for it but after seeing my tablet working he bought one and made a bracket to attach it to.

I haven't seen a standard in car system which is much good.

Comment

• Paul (SA)
                        • Apr 2013
                        • Australia

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                        Way too small to read as you drive in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, data plans don't help if you don't have service and running Ozi on a tablet doesn't use mobile data anyway, connected or not. Same as any GPS.
                        Seriously, more than 99% of the tracks you take would be on Google Maps. Download HEMA Explorer for $25 on special for those rare tracks you would take that are not shown that you can access via your phone's GPS. I guarantee unless you are the All 4 Adventure boys you would hardly even use it.

Use your data for the tracks within range and download HEMA maps beforehand for those tracks when you are not in data range.

Most phones and tablets are big enough to use in a vehicle and have the added value of being portable and multifunctional.

Comment

• Ian H
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2015
                          • Melbourne

The maps with the standard Hema app are 1:150K which are useless in the high country. I have one on my Ipad and never use it.

To get higher quality via Hema Pro, you have to pay a yearly subscription of $60. They say on their site you can get 1:9K but good luck downloading maps of that size on a phone. I've got all of Vic on Ozi at 1:25K and those files are about 8G. Once installed, I've got the whole state covered in high res.

I've attached 3 files of the same location on Lake Eildon where we went last week. One is Google maps, one is the Hema 150K map you get with the Hema app and the other is the DSE 25K map.

The Hema even doesn't have the track we went up on, called Sheep Dip track and none of the smaller tracks and fire breaks running off the ridge as you go along.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but we are restricted to 190kb on this software but I think you'll get the idea.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Onslow
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2007
                            • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                            The maps with the standard Hema app are 1:150K which are useless in the high country. I have one on my Ipad and never use it.

To get higher quality via Hema Pro, you have to pay a yearly subscription of $60. They say on their site you can get 1:9K but good luck downloading maps of that size on a phone. I've got all of Vic on Ozi at 1:25K and those files are about 8G. Once installed, I've got the whole state covered in high res.

I've attached 3 files of the same location on Lake Eildon where we went last week. One is Google maps, one is the Hema 150K map you get with the Hema app and the other is the DSE 25K map.

The Hema even doesn't have the track we went up on, called Sheep Dip track and none of the smaller tracks and fire breaks running off the ridge as you go along.

Sorry about the quality of the pics but we are restricted to 190kb on this software but I think you'll get the idea.
                            Hema App also has the Vic Topo which shows Sheep Dip track, as does the Hema Pro option on the App.
                            NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Ian H
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2015
                              • Melbourne

If you're talking about the Vic 100k topo, there's no Sheep Dip on mine and no Highett Ridge either. I keep a copy on the computer but deleted it from the tablet.

As for the Hema Pro, it costs $60/year. No thanks.

You guys in WA ands SA probably don't need the detail we have to have in Vic and NSW. Tracks through the outback are easily followed but tracks through the high country are completely different. I went from Vic to Exmouth quite happily following the Hema 150 maps but they are no good for around Lake Eildon as per my pics.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X