• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murphysegg
    • Mar 2012
    • Adelaide

Diff oil capacity

I drained & replaced my rear diff oil today. The manual says the capacity is approx 1.6 litres, but i removed approx 2.5 litres & have refilled with approx 2.6 litres & it still hasn't dribbled out the fill plug. & yes the car is level.

Anyone know how much the LSD rear diff takes ?

99 NL
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

Yeah, I’ve noticed the advertised capacities are way out. The non-LDS on my NP takes about 1.6lt., which might be the measurement you’ve come across. The manual gearbox in mine is supposed to take 3.2lt. but it is much closer to 4.0lt.

Just fill it until the oil dribbles out of the filler plug.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Murphysegg
      • Mar 2012
      • Adelaide

I was thinking the same, the remaining 1 litre of oil isn't much use to me so i may as well see if it will all go in.

Comment

• RedSector
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • Gippsland

Originally posted by Murphysegg View Post
        I was thinking the same, the remaining 1 litre of oil isn't much use to me so i may as well see if it will all go in.
        Don't fill past the oil level plug whatever that takes (on flat level surface). To much is just as bad as not having any.
        Pajero NJ 3.5 V45w DOHC Manual.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.

Comment

• Boosted2000
          • Feb 2016
          • Carrum Downs

I did the front and rear diffs on my 1999 NL Exceed a couple of weeks ago (used Penrite 80/90 gear oil), the front took 1.2 litres and the rear took 1.6 litres. I had three one litre bottles and I just had enough, including the amount that spilt all over the ground because the plastic pourer on the bottles just cracks as soon as you bend it and your oil goes everywhere that's about spot on what the book says it should have taken

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

The NL Exceed should have the diff lock, which may displace volume resulting in lower capacity. I can also imagine the IRS rear diff taking less than the live equivalent, so I think it all adds up.

Fill to the plug.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BerKo
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              The NL Exceed should have the diff lock, which may displace volume resulting in lower capacity. I can also imagine the IRS rear diff taking less than the live equivalent, so I think it all adds up.

Fill to the plug.
              Pretty sure the NL had no rear locker options even on the Exceed. They do have a nice torsen LSD that does a pretty good job. Particularly with a bit of handbrake help to slow the spinning wheel.

the rear quantity of oil sounds a bit low. Might be worth checking again in a week just to make sure its still up to the filler plug
              1999 NL Escape
              33" Mudhogs, snorkel, winchbar with 12000lb winch, suspension seats, dual batteries, suspension seats, double DIN android stereo with reverse cam

Comment

• BerKo
                • Dec 2008

Just checked my 1998 FSM and its saying it should take 3.2ltrs in the rear and 1.2ltrs in the front
                1999 NL Escape
                33" Mudhogs, snorkel, winchbar with 12000lb winch, suspension seats, dual batteries, suspension seats, double DIN android stereo with reverse cam

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by BerKo View Post
                  Pretty sure the NL had no rear locker options even on the Exceed.
                  You're right - my dodgy memory kicking in again. It was the NJ Exceed that had the diff lock.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Murphysegg
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Adelaide

Fill to the plug.
                    Roger that.

Comment

• Boosted2000
                      • Feb 2016
                      • Carrum Downs

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Fill to the plug.
                      Fill to the plug is pretty much it, I looked this up and the manual says :

(2) Auto transmission fuild:
                      Capacity: NL: 8.5L, NM/NP 9.3L, NS: 9.7L, NT:10.9L
                      Type: NL: Dexron 2
                      NM, NP, NS, NT: Diamond ATF SP 3 or equivalent.
                      (3) Manual transmission fluid: 3.2liters of SAE 80/90W GL-5 gear lubricant
                      (4) Transfer case oil: 2.8 liters of 75W-85W GL-4 gear oil
                      (5) Differential lubricant:
                      • Standard: SAE 80/90W GL-5 gear oil
                      • Limited Slip: LS 90 (usually you will have a sticker on the diff if you have the LSD one)

Capacity:
                      • Front: 1.2 liters
                      • Rear: 1.6 liters

Comment

• paul77
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Sunny Coast

Just preparing to exchange my oil tomorrow: the front seems to be filled above the fill hole so I'm guessing water got in...
                        Can I use Nulon 75w-90 gl5 instead of the recommended sae 80w-90? I've still got some here so that would be free.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                        Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

Sold:1997 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC V6
                        2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Maria Coast Tasmania.

Should be no problems at all for the front, just don't use it in the rear. ( I think all NLs had LSD rear)

Tom
                          Last edited by tomwithannl; 11-07-17, 08:26 PM. Reason: LSD rear
                          1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                          1953 Morris Minor ute
                          1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                          2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

• paul77
                            • Apr 2017
                            • Sunny Coast

Thanks Tom, I'll put it in tomorrow.
                            Should the rear be filled to the bottom of the fill hole? It's about 1cm below..

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                            Current: 1997 NK Pajero 2.8, 2' lift, ARB bar, warn winch, snorkel, suspension seats...

Sold:1997 NL Pajero 3.5 SOHC V6
                            2" Suspension lift, manual avm hubs, 33" Falken AT, rock sliders, solar panel, roof platform, custom mud guards, awning, snorkel, K&N intake, breathers, dual battery, inverter, various power points with fuse box, custom fridge slide and shelf in back, removable bed platform, legal 5-seater.

Comment

• tomwithannl
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Maria Coast Tasmania.

On level ground of course, fill till it just starts to dribble out the bottom of the fill hole.

Tom
                              1998 NL GLS 3.5 Auto. Bocar alloy bar with 13000lb I-Max winch & engine watchdog.
                              1953 Morris Minor ute
                              1990 Nissan Scargo van (The SNAIL)
                              2005 Mercedes ML350 Special Edition 4Matic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X