• Show
Clear All
  • Griff76
    • Jan 2013
    • Perth

Noisy air-con Belt - Again

Hi all,

it's been a while since I last visited.

I have had a noisy air con belt. It's been replaced, but started making the same annoying chirp chirp chirp sound after a few months. The mechanic seemed to think that the pulleys were all aligned correctly. It's now been like this for at least 12 months if not more. Last service it was tightened, but again, started making the noise again after a week or two.

It hasn't got progressively worse, however it does change in volume depending on the weather - go figure.

Is this a common problem - I find it annoying as hell.

I'm about to take my car in for a service, so I thought I'd ask the brains trust here for some info before speaking to the mechanic.

I've tried the search function, so apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything.

LG>
    2012 LS Manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, King Springs and Bilstein Shocks, Kumho AT51's 265/70/17, Narva Ultima 225's, Factory Tow Bar, Tint, Rola Aero Bar and Rolla roof Basket.
  • rykiel575
    • Sep 2017
    • Sydney

Have you checked/replaced the idler pulley or tensioner?
    2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Silly question - are you sure it's the aircon belt and not the alternator belts?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Griff76
        • Jan 2013
        • Perth

Originally posted by rykiel575 View Post
        Have you checked/replaced the idler pulley or tensioner?
        The mechanic said they were fine last time. I will have them check again.
        2012 LS Manual, ARB Deluxe Bar, King Springs and Bilstein Shocks, Kumho AT51's 265/70/17, Narva Ultima 225's, Factory Tow Bar, Tint, Rola Aero Bar and Rolla roof Basket.

Comment

• Griff76
          • Jan 2013
          • Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
          Silly question - are you sure it's the aircon belt and not the alternator belts?
          Yes, I believe so. Did you have a noisy alt belt?

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Griff76 View Post
            Yes, I believe so. Did you have a noisy alt belt?
            Most of the time my belts are squealing it's the alternator belts that are loose, not a/c.

A/c belt should only squeal when the a/c is on - turn your a/c off to see if it makes a difference.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• BMN
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • Perth WA

Yeh aircon belt will usually start to squeal when you turn on the aircon then go away.
              If its a constant squeal drip some water onto the belts while its running and the noise should stop. If not it might be an idler or if it does, tighten or replace belts.
              2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• whereswes
                • Feb 2015
                • Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by Griff76 View Post
                Hi all,

it's been a while since I last visited.

I have had a noisy air con belt. It's been replaced, but started making the same annoying chirp chirp chirp sound after a few months. The mechanic seemed to think that the pulleys were all aligned correctly. It's now been like this for at least 12 months if not more. Last service it was tightened, but again, started making the noise again after a week or two.

It hasn't got progressively worse, however it does change in volume depending on the weather - go figure.

Is this a common problem - I find it annoying as hell.

I'm about to take my car in for a service, so I thought I'd ask the brains trust here for some info before speaking to the mechanic.

I've tried the search function, so apologies if this has been covered, but I couldn't find anything.

LG>
                Hi LG and sorry I missed this earlier.

I've had the dreaded bird chirp on 2 previous vehicles and on both occasions, were failed idler pulleys. Once replaced, problem gone.

Now, I experienced the same problem on my PC at ~15,000kms. With me it was only on warm up and almost disappeared after a few minutes of run time.

I asked the local dealer to check for play in idler and tensioner pulleys but they advised that I had some pitting on some of the pulleys which they cleaned and lubricated (?). When I got the wagon back, bird chirp gone but replaced by a singer sewing machine. Constant whiring fluctuating with engine speed until warmed up.

By 30,000km service, chirping starting again so requested belt changes. Chirp gone, sewing machine back.

Dealer advised common problem and sees a lot on Tritons. Stated profile of belt (? which one) is not an exact fit to profile of pulley (again, which one?).

No expert but I suspect chirp is a failing pulley and whiring is how the pulley behaves when put under excessive belt tension.

Anyway, 60,000km service due next month with a new Service Manager so I'll ask the same question again. Guess at least, other than annoying noises through warm up, hasn't failed in the last 45,000kms.

Let you know how it goes.

Cheers
                Wes
                2014 Auto PC Challenger, TJM Bar with Centre/Side LED Bars & 12,000lb Winch, Uniden UHF, ARB Rack with single row LED Bar & Awning, Safari Snorkel, Boos Bash Plates, 265-75R16 BFG KM2s, 100AH AGM Battery and Redarc DC-DC to power Waeco, Custom rear interior, HR Towbar, Combo suspension (Lovells front/ARB rear), Brown Davis LR tank, Diff Breathers, 2 1/2" S/S cat back, ScangaugeII, Munji EGR controller, Bushskinz side steps, DPChip, LM8,

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Sounds like a common dry belt
                  . About once a month I puts bit of lube on mine..

. Problem fixed...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                    Sounds like a common dry belt
                    . About once a month I puts bit of lube on mine..

. Problem fixed...

What do you use?
                    PC, 2"OME, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batts, TJM Bar, Ironman Winch, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2's, ARB Fridge/Slide, Cargo Barrier, Provent Catch Can, Roof Rack, Lightbar, Inverter, UHF, Lock Up Mate, ScangaugeII, IDrive

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by KevsChallenger View Post
                      What do you use?
                      I use a end of pointer finger amount (5cent 4mm high)
                      Blue greese...

There are also products out there in pressure packs you can Google it also....

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X