• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gooseman
    • Aug 2010
    • Canberra

Wiring the trailer plug for reverse light power

Hi Folks

I have been agonising over options for installing reversing sensors. The biggest issues I needed to overcome were the hassle of drilling holes in the bumper and colour matching the sensors.

Anyway, I came across the MotorEyes Scanstep portable sensor system. The body of the device (containing the ultrasonic sensors) plugs into tow bar socket (after you've removed the tow bar) and draws reverse light power from the trailer socket. You then plug a dongle into an available cigarette lighter socket inside the car and - hey presto - you have reversing sensors without the drilling/painting. Got it off ebay for $113 delivered.

Before testing the device, I decided to confirm that reverse light power was indeed coming through the trailer socket. No such luck - no power!

After a bit of a look around, I found the reason for the lack of power: There is not even a cable connected to the relevant pin in the trailer plug. Thank you dealer!

Anyway the point of my post is to ask for assistance to find the nearest/most convenient reverse light power cable to the bumper bar from which I can tap power for the trailer socket (plus soon-to-be-installed camera). I have removed one of the rear light clusters, but am unable to trace the reverse light power cable beyond the grommet into the body.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gooseman
    Gooseman
    • Dec 2009
    • Sunny Coast

Gooseman the easiest way to get a reverse light power wire is from the tail light its self. Splice the reverse wire and run it back throught the grommet, run the wire down the inside of the rear quater panel where there is another grommet in the lower section that will allow the wire then to be added to the trailer plug. Hope this helps.
    Wayne
    04 NP DID GLX ARB Steel Bullbar 2" ARB/King Springs, Billies, Warn Winch, Rhino Track Mount Racks, Rola Basket, Rallye 4000 HID, UHF, Reverse camera, Custom Console, Fridge Slide and Rear Door Table, DVD Screen, 40lt Engel, Dual Battery Sytem with Auto Isolator, Cargo Barrier, polaris gps, Sat Phone, BFG A/Ts, Foxwing awning, ARB Locker, Bush Skinz sliders $ inter plate, 3" exhaust chip, custom bar & twin tyres

And a PB Challenger with a list if goodies getting as long as the Paj

Comment

• Gooseman
      • Aug 2010
      • Canberra

Thanks for the advice, Wayne.

I whipped off the left rear light cluster and it seems I will not have to run the wire through the grommet. There is a clear gap at the base of the cluster leading to the bottom outside of the vehicle. At least for the sensor installation, I will just run a cable through the gap.

Gooseman
      Gooseman

Comment

• Josooowa
        • Dec 2009
        • Adelaide, Australia

Gooseman,
        Please post a pic of your device....reversing sensor array that is...
        Would be interesting to see what it looks like.
        Also, what was the search term that you used for evilbay?
        Josh
        Josooowa
        2019 NX GLS ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo
        2004 3.8 NP Manual ARB Bar Billstein Lovell HD Combo (soon for sale...)

Comment

• Dion
          Valued Member
          • May 2010
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Gooseman View Post
          After a bit of a look around, I found the reason for the lack of power: There is not even a cable connected to the relevant pin in the trailer plug. Thank you dealer!
          To be fair, I don't think this is usually wired up anyway.
          2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Gooseman
            • Aug 2010
            • Canberra

Further to my original post, all is now well.

The ScanStep comes with both a trailer plug adapter and a kit for a more permanent wiring setup. I used the latter, running the wire along the bumper and up to the left rear light cluster.

I striped back the +ve and -ve cables running to the reversing light cluster and spliced the adaptor kit wire onto these wires.

As mentioned before, the device plugs into the trailer hitch socket and connects electrically to car by a removable plug. This means it can easily be removed to connect the tow hitch. I have plugged the dongle into the power socket in the cargo area.

The upshot is the device works a treat! The dongle alerts are easy to hear from up front - slow beeping -> faster beep as you get neared -> continuous tone when you are within a metre or so.

There are no false detections of the spare wheel. I am very happy with the result!

Herewith a link to image of the installed device - it blends in quite well:

Originally posted by Josooowa View Post
            Gooseman,
            Please post a pic of your device....reversing sensor array that is...
            Would be interesting to see what it looks like.
            Also, what was the search term that you used for evilbay?
            Josh
            Josh

Search ebay for "MotorEyes Scanstep"
            Gooseman

Comment

• Gooseman
              • Aug 2010
              • Canberra

Originally posted by Dion View Post
              To be fair, I don't think this is usually wired up anyway.
              You are right - I suppose, Dion.

I just thought that if a plug has a pin with a valid function then it would be wired in!
              Gooseman

Comment

• Gooseman
                • Aug 2010
                • Canberra

This is a follow up to the installation of the ScanStep portable sensor device onto my 'jero ...

It does not seem to like getting wet! It rained buckets on my weekend trip and my Pajero was out in the open for the whole weekend. When I tried to reverse, the sensor did the continous tone indicating an iminent 'prang'. However there was no obstruction in the way.

The same issue recurred until I blew out each of the 3 sensors to remove some water within the rim of the sensor. Then the device worked okay.

Does anyone have similar problems with other types of reversing sensor?
                Gooseman

Comment

• wasarangie
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2010
                  • Ocean Grove

This is a follow up to the installation of the ScanStep portable sensor device onto my 'jero ...

It does not seem to like getting wet! It rained buckets on my weekend trip and my Pajero was out in the open for the whole weekend. When I tried to reverse, the sensor did the continous tone indicating an iminent 'prang'. However there was no obstruction in the way.

The same issue recurred until I blew out each of the 3 sensors to remove some water within the rim of the sensor. Then the device worked okay.

I have owned many vehicles with reverse sensors. The only one that did not like water or dirt was on a VX Clubsport. It had to be fairly clean otherwise it played the constant tone. The best was a 530 BMW, it worked in all conditions. My current Challenger factory sensors work well even with the constant rain we have had over the last few days.
                  SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• Dion
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2010
                    • Brisbane

Nope, both my Paj and VW Jetta have them and no issues.
                    2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• Gooseman
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Canberra

Thanks for all the responses.

I've dropped a line to the supplier of the ScanStep and will see what transpires.

Gooseman
                      Gooseman
                      2003 NP Exceed DiD; Kenwood DDX5036 VGA Monitor with DVD Receive + iPod connector; MotorEyes Scanstep reversing sensor device; nothing else as impressive as some member's setups!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X