• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reformedjeeper
    • Jun 2012
    • Ballarat Vic

I Bought a V6 AMAROK

today "retired" / traded my trusty Pajero at 180,000 km, never had a spot of bother with it and disappointed that Mitsubishi have not kept pace with technology in engine, gearbox and Tow capacity, as this has been an extremely reliable vehicle.

See for sale posts for Cargo Barrier and Alloy Wheel

as my handle indicates, my previous Jeep GC with the Mercedes V6 engine broke down regularly and I was only able to keep it to 115,000 km before it became a liability, known engine fault from Mercedes.

So a new Amarok V6 Sportline is competitively priced and has many bells and whistles
    More importantly 3.5 Ton tow capacity and an engine and gearbox to match.
    Plan to build this one up like the Pajero, Canopy, LRA long range tank and electrics to run our fridge and Anderson plug to caravan.
    Many thanks to Dale at Traralgon VW for our assistance and rapid delivery
    cheers,
    JohnV
    Regards and best wishes Johnv,

2012 NW Active, Ironbark, 3.2 DiD Auto

Tow Bar, Nudge Bar, Cooper AT3 265/65R17 LT, CB Radio, Redarc Indash Brake Controller, AutoSafe Cargo Barrier, 2-Auxilary Battery System w/Redarc Isolator, Custom Storage Unit, 50mm / 300kg OME Suspension with Firestone Airbags.
    81 Lt Auxilary Fuel Tank by Long Range Automotive, Lillydale (Vic)
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Mate towing numbers are approved by ADR on figures supplied by the manufacturers. In real life they mean bugger all.

The GVM is six tonne!

From carsguide....Alongside a rise in gross vehicle mass (GVM) from 5550kg to 6000kg, the improved tow rating was reached via modifications to the Amarok V6's rear bar, allowing it to match rivals including the Toyota HiLux, Ford Ranger and Isuzu D-Max.

“It also means that we’re above the Mitsubishi Triton which is 3.1 tonnes and the Toyota HiLux SR5 which is 3200kg, adding that customers should be aware of their vehicle's gross vehicle mass.

It's a pg contest between the manufactures for no gain for the consumers except trouble.

Image it trying to drag it's full 6,000kg up the Toowoomba Range, the climb out of Woolongong, Cunninghams gap, the two climbs on the M1 north of Sydney at Mooney Mooney Creek and the Hawkesbury River.

Hope you enjoy your new ride they a very nice. Just don't think the 6,000kg is realistic.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Mate towing numbers are approved by ADR on figures supplied by the manufacturers. In real life they mean bugger all.

The GVM is six tonne!
      No. GCM is six tonne. GVM is 3080 kg. Yes, Cars Guide's author doesn't understand the difference.

So, GCM of six tonne, with 3500kg towing capacity. So, at max towing capacity, the GVM is 2500kg.

Unladen mass of the Ultimate is listed as 2,212 kg, leaving 288kg for passengers and other payload.

Good luck towing 3500kg legally in Australia.

Edit: I originally had it wrong - 2500 doesn't need to include ball load.

Because I have a thing for numbers, I compared a few more.

Amarok GVM is 50kg higher than Pajero, but GCM is 30kg less. When the Amarok is at GVM, it's towing capacity is less than the outdated technology of the Pajero.
      Hook up the 3.5t boat, and there won't be too many Australian families of four who can travel in the cabin.
      With a 3.5t trailer, at GCM, the trailer will be 40% heavier than the Amarok.
      With a 3t trailer, at GCM, the trailer will be (very slightly - 1%) lighter than the Pajero.

Don't get me wrong - I think the Amarok is a great vehicle, and that's despite my distaste for Volkswagen. But I wonder how many VW sales reps will extol the virtues of 3.5t towing, then fully explain the limitations imposed by such a load.

The Amarok's lower kerb weight gives it a great payload number, and all that torque will mean it will move its GCM quite easily (in comparison), but all these numbers don't really answer one of the important questions - just because one could tow 3500kg with an Amarok, does it mean one should?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Morville
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2008
        • Buxton Vic

Originally posted by reformedjeeper View Post
        today "retired" / traded my trusty Pajero at 180,000 km, never had a spot of bother with it and disappointed that Mitsubishi have not kept pace with technology in engine, gearbox and Tow capacity, as this has been an extremely reliable vehicle.

JohnV
        Perhaps old technology is why the Paj is so reliable.
        Peter

Comment

• Peterng
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2013
          • Northern Rivers NSW

I agree here with many in regards to vehicle GVM and towing limits with especially twin cabs.
          This towing 3.5 tonne (which is pretty heavy) with a twin cab is becoming a joke for many are getting sucked in with the sales hype and the bull that is in the market place at present.
          Regardless of the power plant..v6 diesel etc..its the vehicle chassis, braking system and drive line that bares the brunt of the forces that are applied to it when pulling weight.
          Read your Amarok manual very very very carefully and remember the basic premise...the weightier the van..the less you will be able carry in the Amarok and the more stress on it as well.
          Speaking to a few in the mechanical trade...they shake their collective heads at the dual cab towing wars that is going around...for the lads are saying.."the manufactures are upping towing rates..2500, 3000 and now 3500kg...but not upgrading the brakes, gear boxes and suspensions on these vehicles"
          I am seeing dual cabs on the road, pulling vans that are 1.5 times greater than the size of the dual cab and nearly the same in weight ...
          That leaves me wondering..
          ...is the tail wagging the dog?
          Anyway...
          ...good luck and happy travels..

Comment

• 2bad4u
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Perth, Western Australia

Congrats on the car. A V6 Amarok was high on my list of cars to buy but ended up going with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
            Warren
            2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
            2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• spiderpig
              • Jan 2008

Totally agree with what everyone is saying about towing weights for the current crop of dual cabs.

That being said, we will never be towing anything near 3.5t anyway.

We are looking at either the new V6 X-class when it comes out or the V6 Amarok with the upgraded 200kw engine when its released in the 3rd quater of 2018. So interested to hear your thoughts on the Amarok

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

There's way too much focus on the towing capacity. I've got a Tvan with a weight of 1500kg loaded and a ball weight of 160kg. With the Tvan hooked up and Paj loaded up with a fridge, gear, etc. I'm over weight on the rear axle by 60kg !!

It's not about the towing capacity, it's about the weight of the vehicle when you add a trailer of any sort. The NX has a payload of 775kg so then start adding a second battery, bull bar, drawers, fridge, spare gear, water, passengers AND the ball weight and pretty soon you are over.

Like I've said countless times in here, you can only be sure if you head to a weigh bridge and check your own set up.
                2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • Greater Sydney

Back in the 70s I towed caravans around NSW for caravan yards, to and from caravan shows.
                  The law was the weight of the van was not allowed to be more than the towing vehicle.

Today you are legally able to tow in the case of the VW 1.228 tonne more that the VW weighs.

The unladen mass of the Ultimate is listed as 2,212kg

Comment

• spiderpig
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                    Back in the 70s I towed caravans around NSW for caravan yards, to and from caravan shows.
                    The law was the weight of the van was not allowed to be more than the towing vehicle.

Today you are legally able to tow in the case of the VW 1.228 tonne more that the VW weighs.

The unladen mass of the Ultimate is listed as 2,212kg
                    Back in the 70s there was no such thing as technology either compared to today.

Caravans and large boat trailers didn't have ESC or breakaway, did they even have elec brakes? Likewise 4wds had nothing like they do today in driver aids and vehicle safety related tech.

Comment

• davidmc
                      • Jul 2017
                      • NSW

How is the towing weight determined? Is just a figure nominated by the manufacturer to match the competition and market demands or is there some objective independent approval that the manufacturer must obtain. I think I know the answer!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2016
                        • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
                        Back in the 70s there was no such thing as technology either compared to today.

Caravans and large boat trailers didn't have ESC or breakaway, did they even have elec brakes? Likewise 4wds had nothing like they do today in driver aids and vehicle safety related tech.

Technology can only do so much. They had vacuum brake. I had some type of vacuum set up under the bonnet with a hose running to the back of the truck. Caravans over a certain weight had to have vacuum brakes fitted by law. They had a controller in the cabin much like the electric brakes of today use to control the amount of braking to the caravan.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Worth reading this thread for those that are interested in vehicle weight vs towed weight.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• flyboy
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2017
                            • SA

I agree the technology improvements in towing make it a lot safer now than 40 years ago.

Vehicle stability control, EBD, better weight distribution, better braking systems on the trailer - it all adds up to make a lot of difference. If it wasn’t inherently safe, we’d hear a lot more about accidents.

Having said that, I haven’t and wouldn’t routinely tow something with my Pajero which has a higher mass than the vehicle. Anything like that would be a once off relocation or something, not a regular or routine occurrence.

For best bang for buck to improve your towing safety - don’t buy a bigger vehicle with a better tow rating. Invest some money on some driver training.

Comment

• spiderpig
                              • Jan 2008

Had the keys to an Amarok V6 sportline for the day yesterday.

Wow that V6 and auto trans is awesome! Makes the poor old paj feel quite lacking in that area.

Still rides like a bloody ute though and apparently the rok is the best in class in this department....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X