• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spook
    • Jul 2015
    • hawkes bay Nz

Another injector pump hassle

Hi team,I am anew member with the slightly different injector pump problem.yesterday was my third try to tow my 2.5ton boat up to Taupo,a200 km trip with a2000 ft increase in altitude.Just like last time we came to ahold after 50 kms.The pajero runs perfectly without the loadeD boat.we lost power,the N trans light came on engine stalled while still rolling on slight down hill,no power steer or brake boost.great clouds of grey smoke.turned everything off then started it up after about 1minute.reved uncontrolled with more grey smoke so turned off again.after about 2mins tried again and it ran but sounded as if one cylinder was missing about every 1or 2 seconds.settled down a bit so drove up the road a it to turn round and we drove home.stopped at the traffic lights and still with the intermittent miss.disconnectedthe boat and the Paj now drives perfectly again.Done 50 kms since with no problem..
    After it happened las time I read all the forum leads so replace the injector pump sensors,and blanked off EGR.
    Any ideas greatly appreciated.
  • Easykill1978
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Melbourne Vic

some details would be nice..

year, engine type etc.

did u get any dash lights when this happened?

also if DiD (diesel) try replacing the speedsensors first.

thanks

Easyk
    My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Cairns

You should never have lost the brakes, they are boosted by a 12v motor and accumulator, not by engine vacuum...
      Have you checked the ECU for the presence of any fault codes?
      Cheers, Dan.
      2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• GHendo
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2012
        • Northern NSW

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
        You should never have lost the brakes, they are boosted by a 12v motor and accumulator, not by engine vacuum...
        Have you checked the ECU for the presence of any fault codes?
        Cheers, Dan.
        Agreed, the first step is to see what fault codes are being thrown up.

Geoff
        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Change the engine speed sensors bolted to the side of the pump. Do this before anyone tries to tell you to change the pump. This sounds just like when mine threw a wobbly. Only did it when towing and under heavy load. Would return to normal after a period of idling / cool-down.
          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• The Spook
            • Jul 2015
            • hawkes bay Nz

Thanks for the responses.My pajero is a2000 model swb 3.2 D.we have done the sensors on the injector pump.The trans lights on the dash flashed the N light before we stopped.This vehicle is a 4speed super shift and the latest local info suggests that the flashing N is telling us the trans is overheating.So yesterday we had the trans serviced on a big trans oil cooler fitted in front of the radiator.Next week I will have another go up the steep hills.

Comment

• The Spook
              • Jul 2015
              • hawkes bay Nz

Sorry team I meant to say that we had no trouble codes showed for either engine or trans.

Comment

• Dicko1
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2014
                • Cairns, FNQ

Good luck.
                Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

Originally posted by The Spook View Post
                  Sorry team I meant to say that we had no trouble codes showed for either engine or trans.
                  With due respect, do you know how to check the computer for codes? not just what shows up on your dash at time of driving.
                  02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• The Spook
                    • Jul 2015
                    • hawkes bay Nz

The vehicle has been in lodge autos,the tuning team that does Murphy's race cars and all sorts of tuning.they had all their diagnostic gear on while it was on the dyno trying to replicate the problem.I have the print outs showing no codes..The vehicle drives beautifully again without the load of the boat.I hope the new oil cooler does the trick,haven't done the the trip with the boat yet as the weather forecast is not nice.

Comment

• joel510
                      • Aug 2007

Just a note on losing the brakes.

Non ABS models have a conventional booster that is fed from the vacuum pump on the front of the engine. My 02 NM GLX DID has this set-up.

Joel.

Comment

• The Spook
                        • Jul 2015
                        • hawkes bay Nz

Update on my towing problem.the Paj drive absolutely magic without the boat on the back.I had another trip up the Taupo road last week,same hassles,at the end of a long climb we lose power,grey smoke,engine stalls.leave for a minute then restart,runs a it rough then drive on.3 times it did this in about 100 kms.on one of these stops,when I had the engine idling again all of a sudden it starts to rev its heart out.it stopped when I turned off the key.Gave it another spell then started again and finished the trip.The lake is about 2000 ft above sea level where we started.No trouble on the way home as it is more down hill.
                        Any bright ideas as to what is happening would be appreciated
                        Paj is 3.2 diesel with 265000 kms

Comment

• conquistador
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • sth east queensland

Its not possible your inlet is severely blocked and due to the stress of a long climb some of the soot is being injested enmass and causing the symptoms you describe?

Comment

• Easykill1978
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2008
                            • Melbourne Vic

well first off i would
                            • check the air & fuel filter, ensure its not totally blocked or really dirty. maybe get a set of filters and replace them.. check out sites like sydney filters
                            • then i would check the intercooler, ensuring their are no leaks
                            • then inspect the turbo vacuum pipes
                            • then i would inspect the exhaust, ensuring that i have no leaks or cracks anywhere, and i would also inspect my catalytic converter ensuring its not blocked.
                            • then i would check the intake manifold and clean if its full of soot, and block the egr
                            • then i would check the fan clutch, to ensure its spinning correctly
                            • ensure radiator is not blocked. (why cause the pump speed sensors can be easily heat soaked and cause all sorts of problems)
                            • ensure no contamination of your cars fluids and that they are maintaining their level.
                            • lastly if it is still happening, get the injectors serviced/replaced

and after all of that, then its more than likely the fuel pump
                            My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• The Spook
                              • Jul 2015
                              • hawkes bay Nz

Many thanks to Conquistador and Easykill1978.Listing as your suggestions
                              Air and fuel filters have been replaced
                              Exhaust all solid and not blocked
                              Inlet manifold perfectly clean,checked when we did the injector pump sensors
                              EGR blocked off
                              Radiator clean,temp never moves much at all
                              Digressing totally,200000 kms ago I sprayed a Teflon additive through the inlet and added to the oil,it was called Slider 2000 made by the Slick 50 mob.we think this may have stopped anything sticking in the inlet manifold.
                              Last question,how do we check turbo vacuum

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X