• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GSRSOL
    • Aug 2008
    • Melbourne

'99 NL GLS SWB buying tips - what to look out for

Hey guys,

After deciding that a V55W (Evo Paj) isnt really going to be the best option for the duties I require of it, Ive been looking intently for an '99 GLS SWB Paj, without much luck, they seem to be somewhat of a rare breed. I have driven one today, manual, 148k klms. everything seemed fine, apart from a few dints here and there, and a worn clutch.

I dont know much about pajeros, so I just wanted to know things to look out for when inspecting one - tell-tale signs to determine of a harsh previous life, and also if there are any common issues with them.

any input appreciated.

thanks in advance
    G5R5OL = CD5A/CE9A/E39A Bastard Child
    Daily = 2006 NP Pajero VR-X DiD
  • sharky
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Kilmore

Gday mate I guess a couple of things spring to my mind is its service history with 146k(not bad ks) see if things like the timing belt were done at 100k can be a little pricey to get done. And if it has a couple of dents check undercarriege that will give you a bit of an idea how hard a life(offroad) it may have had. End of the day have it mechanically checked as I've found that parts can be expensive for them. Sorry cant be of much more help.
    ----------------------------
    'Steve'
    2000 NL TD GLS

Comment

• Shayne
      • Oct 2007
      • Outer East - Melbourne

As with the purchase of any secondhand car - I would get a compression test done, Cylinder Leak test, to see that there is no problems with the head gaskets or heads.
      Water pressure test, to check cooling system for leaks.
      Have a good look for leaking seals from output shafts gearbox and transfer and diff pinions seals. These have a habbit of leaking with alot of 4x4 use
      Any V6 motor that hasn't been looked after can cost a furtune to repair.
      And make sure all electrics operate - the cost factor again.
      97 NL GLX - 2"OME Suspension, Airbags, ARB Bullbar- X9 Winch, Long Range Tank, Piranha Dual Battery System, UHF, Flares, ARB Compressor - air tank, BFG 265 75 R16 A/T, Draw system, Engel Fridge, Roof top tent - many more mods to come.......

Comment

• GSRSOL
        • Aug 2008
        • Melbourne

thanks for the replies guys

I'm a bit disappointed as I went to drive one over the weekend, only to find I don't fit in the bastard

the seat doesn't go far back enough, and I don't have enough headroom. The one I drove had a sunroof mind you, which would eat up some of the headroom....

Would it be worth getting seat rails modified? or is it not a good idea .... ?

I'm going to go and have a look at some challengers this weekend, hopefully ill have better luck with them.

Comment

• robbav
          • May 2008
          • Perth W.A.

holy cow - how big ARE you?

i'm 6'2" and drive a nh91 swb, no problems - although lucky that the seat goes back that far - any shorter travel and i would have been a little uncomfy. maybe they made em even shorter as they got towards 2000 8)

all i can say is: if you are looking for a swb, you wont be happy if you get a longy - so look into getting the seat rails moved back. Its not as though anyone is going to sit behind you 8)

rob.
          SWB '91 NH V6 3ltr front lokka, rear factory locker, BFG 33s, LWB springs out back, and torsioned up front. Manual hubs and next up: snorkel. Shiny custom or safari... hmmm.

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Well if you don't fit into a Paj you might be struggling to fit into a Challenger.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• GSRSOL
              • Aug 2008
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by robbav View Post
              holy cow - how big ARE you?

i'm 6'2" and drive a nh91 swb, no problems - although lucky that the seat goes back that far - any shorter travel and i would have been a little uncomfy. maybe they made em even shorter as they got towards 2000 8)

all i can say is: if you are looking for a swb, you wont be happy if you get a longy - so look into getting the seat rails moved back. Its not as though anyone is going to sit behind you 8)

rob.
              Yep, youre right there

Im set on getting a shortie, Id love an Evo Pajero, but finding replacement parts for the thing would be a mission and a half. Im 6'8" and really struggle to fit in the shorties ive sat in, mainly because of the sunroof I think. I fit in a NL LWB with no sunroof fine, but again, the seat doesnt go back far enough

Ive found a few NL GLS shorties all around the 15-16k mark.... not many, but they are coming up now and then for sale. The hardest part is finding one that has reasonable kms, as most of them have 150k + on the clock, and also finding one in Vic. Most of the ones ive found are from QLD, so have probably copped a good beach & sand raping at some stage of their lives.

I had a drive of a '05 Challenger a few weeks back, and I can just fit into them, again, I wish the seat could go back a bit further

Its really annoying, as I fit fine into my Lancer GSR, and also into my daily drive, a '98 model civic coupe, which are a fair bit smaller than the Paj/Challenger - go figure

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X