• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

$600 for my timing belt service

I reckon I have been kissed on the you know what.

Timing belt and the other little doohickey belt replaced for $600.

Considering the average quote was around $1000 plus, without the service.

At 95,000, I have decided to get it done now and save again for the 100,000km service.

Then I am getting a service every 10,000 instead of every 15,000.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Great price, Rob.
    Dealer or independent mechanic?
    Care to share who, for those that are close.

cheers, OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
      I reckon I have been kissed on the you know what.

Timing belt and the other little doohickey belt replaced for $600.

Considering the average quote was around $1000 plus, without the service.

At 95,000, I have decided to get it done now and save again for the 100,000km service.

Then I am getting a service every 10,000 instead of every 15,000.
      Hope they willl replace all the seals ☺ ...

Last edited by littleriver; 28-04-16, 10:17 PM.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• BMN
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2010
        • Perth WA

No seals needed when just doing the timing belt. From memory the 2 belts cost me around the $200 mark, and took me about 4 hrs to do. Im sure experienced techs would do them well under 3 hrs so anything over $600/$700 and they are taking the piss.

If not already done, its worth getting them to replace the fan, power steer etc belts Rob. And remember to keep all the old belts....wrap them up and keep them in the rear jack compartment
        2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• amec
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Wamberal

Nice
          PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by BMN View Post
            No seals needed when just doing the timing belt. From memory the 2 belts cost me around the $200 mark, and took me about 4 hrs to do. Im sure experienced techs would do them well under 3 hrs so anything over $600/$700 and they are taking the piss.

If not already done, its worth getting them to replace the fan, power steer etc belts Rob. And remember to keep all the old belts....wrap them up and keep them in the rear jack compartment
            Good luck with that ..

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• BMN
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2010
              • Perth WA

Good luck with what ?

I could be wrong but a doubt dealers do the cam and crankshaft seals and if they do that explains some of the oil leak issues some people are having.

The water pump and pulleys all felt good at 100k, but i would consider doing them at the 200k. I still wouldn't be touching the cam and crank seals if there is no evidence of oil leaks.
              Last edited by BMN; 29-04-16, 12:06 AM.
              2010 PB LS Auto, 7seat, silver with lots of pinstripes, Dual batts, Toyo AT2, ARB roof rack, Rear storage/fridge, Bilstien/Kings

Comment

• 02-SR5
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2010
                • Toowoomba

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Great price, Rob.
                Dealer or independent mechanic?
                Care to share who, for those that are close.

cheers, OJ.
                Toowoomba Mitsubishi.

I have considered trading in for a new D-max ute. But since I still have another 5 years drive train warranty, I'll keep it till then.

Spending $600 to get another 100,000km is a pretty good price.
                Last edited by 02-SR5; 29-04-16, 04:33 AM.
                MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• PeePee
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
                  Toowoomba Mitsubishi.

I have considered trading in for a new D-max ute. But since I still have another 5 years drive train warranty, I'll keep it till then.

Spending $600 to get another 100,000km is a pretty good price.
                  Interesting the difference, mine was in there for 3 days and was $1,200 but they found a rear seal leak and had to drop the gear box out to fix it plus the sump was leaking as well. Mine only has 60,000 on the clock and still has 5 or so years on the drive train also, so it makes a lot of sense to keep it a bit longer.
                  MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• coughy
                    Valued Member
                    • May 2014
                    • Redlands Brisbane QLD

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
                    Good luck with that ..

if its not broke dont fix it
                    you dont have to replace the seals every time you do the timing belt
                    absolute load of horse crap if that is what you people are getting told
                    i have serviced motors that have had well over 500,000 on the engine and still original seals as i have serviced it from new..
                    and like ive stated before you do it correctly you dont have a leaking seal anyhow
                    My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
                    New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• unknown
                      • Feb 2010

Just had my timing belt done as the balancer belt was squealing.
                      98,000 so they just did the 100,000 km service. Which is basically just the belts anyway.
                      $565 from a dealer.
                      Was told they normally do the 100 and the 105 together which would take it up to the $1k.

Comment

• BMN
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2010
                        • Perth WA

The balance shaft belt is critical. I did my belts at 110k and the timing looked in very good condition, but the balance belt was very stretched and I'm sure it would be the first to let go.

Your very unlucky to have seals failing under 100k or even 200k. They are either faulty or incorrectly fitted from day 1 or maybe overfilling engine oil could be causing excess crankcase pressure and causing seal failure. Only other reason might be an engine out of tolerance in some way, which will mean it will continue to cause seal failure

Comment

• PeePee
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2012
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by coughy View Post
                          if its not broke dont fix it
                          you dont have to replace the seals every time you do the timing belt
                          absolute load of horse crap if that is what you people are getting told
                          i have serviced motors that have had well over 500,000 on the engine and still original seals as i have serviced it from new..
                          and like ive stated before you do it correctly you dont have a leaking seal anyhow
                          Thanks for the info, how do i keep an eye on this then, in terms of over filling with oil, they do this all the time, havnt checked this time but will tomorrow before i fire it up to drag the trailer around brisbane.
                          MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X