• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

PVC catch can/or no catch can

Still undesided about the oily mist we get through the inlet system.

Fit a proper Provent catch can, or not.

Or, by pass it all together and run the hose from the rocker cover into a separate can with that can vent, or run the hose down the back of the engine block and let it vent into the atmosphere.

Plug the inlet hose between the air box and the turbo.

I know this "may" be ilegal, but so is 33 inch tyres.

Would this have any detrimental affect on the motor?
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
  • blackdragon
    • Apr 2014
    • tennant creek, NT

yeah mate, venting to the atsmosphere is illegal.
    most definitely do not block it off, the motor has to be vented.
    over period of time the oil and other contaminates will build up to an alarming level thru out your complete intake system and honestly has no benefit being returned to your engine as it currently is...at the end of the day, its just a simple and cheap solution by the manufacturers to meet pollution criteria.
    check out my post in DIY section for and easy and economical approach to installing a catch can. cheers alan
    '91 NH SWB (import) intercooled turbo 4D56T, Manual, factory mags 31x10.5 15's, alloy bulbar, snorkel, UHF, Rhino alloy rack, sunroof, bonnet bug deflector, LED light bars, driving lights, air bags, new shockies, polished stainless rear ladder, GPS, on board air, telescopic rear light, 60ltr fridge/freezer, dual battery system plus aux batteries, comprehensive set gauges, security system, air horns, on board solar panels, roof lightbar/spotties, worklights, towbar, rear bumper lights,

Comment

• PC Challenger
      • May 2014
      • Earth

ive read somewhere the oil mist extends the life of your turbo?
      Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• fester
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by PC Challenger View Post
        ive read somewhere the oil mist extends the life of your turbo?
        Very marginally if at all. Given the lubrication system in turbo like any other component is designed around a sealed and pressurised system to deliver and flow the oil I can't see how much if any misting oil can get in enough to actually make a measurable difference.

The only detrimental effect that the oil mist has in a diesel that has the EGR disabled is a reduction in the inter cooler efficiency due to coating the inner surfaces and therefore reducing the heat exchange effect by insulating between the air and oil.

Not good long term but not nearly as important as the issue of the EGR mixing.

I have no time these days for people who bypass the system and vent to atmosphere. Do it properly or not at all. And don't do it with the cheap eBay cans, I've seen test data that shows they do very little.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X