• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craigw
    • Feb 2011
    • sydney

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
    Which bfg type of tyre did you go with ?

Bfg kao2 lt .
    They were great .
    Ended up putting pirelli Atr plus 265 65 18 on the PS .they are quiet and seem to ride better than the oem h t .good in the wet on the black stuff as well .just havent tried on the ruff stuff yet
    2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
    2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Originally posted by craigw View Post
      Bfg kao2 lt .
      They were great .
      Ended up putting pirelli Atr plus 265 65 18 on the PS .they are quiet and seem to ride better than the oem h t .good in the wet on the black stuff as well .just havent tried on the ruff stuff yet
      They are a nice tyre .. good reviews

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• craigw
        • Feb 2011
        • sydney

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
        They are a nice tyre .. good reviews

Just driven up to the hunter .mainly freeway and a few backroads .excellent .will let you know how they are in the rough when i get a chance.have my fingers crossed
        2011 Ls Manual , Cooper ST 265/70/17 , Tough Dog Suspension, Safari Snorkel
        2018 Pajero Sport GLS 5 Pirelli scorpion ATR plus 265/65 18

Comment

• Bladerunner99
          • Apr 2019
          • Sydney

How do the Cooper AT3LT compare with the BFG K02s? I am looking at fitting new tyres and want an AT for my Pajero Sport.
          I was recommended the BFG but have read reviews stating that the latest/new compound are not too good in the wet on bitumen.

My requirements are bitumen through the week and to trails, then sand, rock fire trails and powerline access trails at weekend and the occasional camping trip when time permits and if I can arrange, I would like to attempt a Simpson trip.

I have read numerous reviews and understand that there is no one size fits all. I am aware that some are noisier on road than others, I also do not want to keep two sets of wheels so would look at fitting 265/65/18 to oem rims.

Any advise/opinion/experience is much appreciated.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Both the BFG AT and the Cooper AT3LT are 10ply light truck construction, so they are strong tyres, both are available in LT265/60R18 standard diameter and LT265/65R18 a plus one size that will give you an extra 13.5mm of ground and ride height. The BFG are more aggressive so off road traction will better but they will be noisier, wet weather performance on bitumen will also be worse.

Both will use more fuel because they are a heavier tyre than he factory HT passenger construction tyres.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Bladerunner99
              • Apr 2019
              • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Both the BFG AT and the Cooper AT3LT are 10ply light truck construction, so they are strong tyres, both are available in LT265/60R18 standard diameter and LT265/65R18 a plus one size that will give you an extra 13.5mm of ground and ride height. The BFG are more aggressive so off road traction will better but they will be noisier, wet weather performance on bitumen will also be worse.

Both will use more fuel because they are a heavier tyre than he factory HT passenger construction tyres.

OJ.

Thank you OJ, I guess that the Cooper may well be the better option for my requirements.

I have read a fair bit about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W being fitted to the PS, would you consider them as a comparable tyre, not sure if they are a LT construction though.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
                Thank you OJ, I guess that the Cooper may well be the better option for my requirements.

I have read a fair bit about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W being fitted to the PS, would you consider them as a comparable tyre, not sure if they are a LT construction though.
                The AT3W in 265/60R18 or 265/65R18 only come in a passenger construction with a load index of 114 so this is a extra load XL P tyre, it is slightly stronger than a normal Passenger construction tyre but it is nowhere as strong as either of the 10 ply LT rated BFG or AT3.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Sydney

The AT3W in 265/60R18 or 265/65R18 only come in a passenger construction with a load index of 114 so this is a extra load XL P tyre, it is slightly stronger than a normal Passenger construction tyre but it is nowhere as strong as either of the 10 ply LT rated BFG or AT3.

OJ.

Thank You again OJ

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Sydney

Hi OJ,

I noticed that you have Cooper ST Max tyres, are they similar to BFG K02s, would you recommend them for the uses I have mentioned in an earlier post. To be honest I am struggling to select a suitable tyre for my purposes........ "My requirements are bitumen through the week and to trails, then sand, rock fire trails and powerline access trails at weekend and the occasional camping trip when time permits and if I can arrange, I would like to attempt a Simpson trip"

Cheers

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Bladerunner99 View Post
                      Hi OJ,

I noticed that you have Cooper ST Max tyres, are they similar to BFG K02s, would you recommend them for the uses I have mentioned in an earlier post. To be honest I am struggling to select a suitable tyre for my purposes........ "My requirements are bitumen through the week and to trails, then sand, rock fire trails and powerline access trails at weekend and the occasional camping trip when time permits and if I can arrange, I would like to attempt a Simpson trip"

Cheers
                      The ST Maxx is a hybrid AT/MT tyre, it is more aggressive and stronger in my opinion then the BFG AT, the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 is very similar but the I think the ST Maxx is slightly less aggressive, has better stone ejectors and better snipes for wet road conditions. Both these tyres are made in the same factory and apparently from the same carcass and compound.

I had 2 sets of BFG KO on my previous 4wd, I never had a puncture but I found in deep standing water on bitumen they would aquaplane easily and when the tyres were at the end of their life they would easily pop off the rim at pressures of around 15 psi in sand.

No such issue with the Coopers, 2 sets of ST on the previous 4wd.
                      I am now on the 3rd set of ST Maxx on the Challenger over 9 years and 165,000kms.
                      I get about 70,000kms from a 4.5 or 5 tyre rotation, I got similar kms from the BFG's.
                      My 4wds are always 2/3's to GVM+150kg and we normally do about 1/3 off the bitumen and about 18,000km a year. I always change tyres when they have between 3 mm and 5mm of total tread depth. I could maybe squeeze an extra 10,000kms before they hit the legal limit but to me the risk an accident, loss of off traction both on and off road and increased chance of tyre problems is too great to risk for me.

Any hybrid AT/MT tyre requires rotation every 5,000kms to 7,500kms to keep the wear even and the noise down. On road they ride harder, use more fuel and are noisier than a HT or mild AT but off road you get the traction and toughness that gives you confidence. Nowhere near as good as a full blown MT for off road traction but much better than a HT or AT and easir to live with on a daily driver than a MT tyre.

OJ.

Comment

• Bladerunner99
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Sydney

The ST Maxx is a hybrid AT/MT tyre, it is more aggressive and stronger in my opinion then the BFG AT, the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 is very similar but the I think the ST Maxx is slightly less aggressive, has better stone ejectors and better snipes for wet road conditions. Both these tyres are made in the same factory and apparently from the same carcass and compound.

I had 2 sets of BFG KO on my previous 4wd, I never had a puncture but I found in deep standing water on bitumen they would aquaplane easily and when the tyres were at the end of their life they would easily pop off the rim at pressures of around 15 psi in sand.

No such issue with the Coopers, 2 sets of ST on the previous 4wd.
                        I am now on the 3rd set of ST Maxx on the Challenger over 9 years and 165,000kms.
                        I get about 70,000kms from a 4.5 or 5 tyre rotation, I got similar kms from the BFG's.
                        My 4wds are always 2/3's to GVM+150kg and we normally do about 1/3 off the bitumen and about 18,000km a year. I always change tyres when they have between 3 mm and 5mm of total tread depth. I could maybe squeeze an extra 10,000kms before they hit the legal limit but to me the risk an accident, loss of off traction both on and off road and increased chance of tyre problems is too great to risk for me.

Any hybrid AT/MT tyre requires rotation every 5,000kms to 7,500kms to keep the wear even and the noise down. On road they ride harder, use more fuel and are noisier than a HT or mild AT but off road you get the traction and toughness that gives you confidence. Nowhere near as good as a full blown MT for off road traction but much better than a HT or AT and easir to live with on a daily driver than a MT tyre.

OJ.

Many thanks (yet again), for taking the time to write a detailed response, you have given me more info to help with my selection.

Cheers

Comment

• cb3
                          • Nov 2018
                          • SE QLD

I have the Wildpeak 265/70/17's and they are LT. I think it depends which sizing you go for

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by cb3 View Post
                            I have the Wildpeak 265/70/17's and they are LT. I think it depends which sizing you go for
                            Wildpeak AT3 are available in;
                            P265/65R17 116, this is an extra load passenger construction tyre.
                            LT265/65R17 120, this is a light truck 10ply heavy duty construction tyre.
                            LT265/70R17 121, this is a light truck 10ply heavy duty construction tyre.
                            P265/60R18 114, this is an extra load passenger construction tyre.
                            P265/65R18 116, this is an extra load passenger construction tyre.

OJ.

Comment

• Marek
                              • Sep 2010
                              • Adelaide

Falken Wildpeak AT3W are also available in 265/65/17 LT (10 ply tyre) - I know as I just ordered some today for the Chally. City Discount tyres are doing a deal with 4 for the price of 3, and they were nice enough to knock some cost off the spare as well, so I'm getting 5 tyres for less than 4 in some other brands. Looking forward to testing them out!

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Marek View Post
                                Falken Wildpeak AT3W are also available in 265/65/17 LT (10 ply tyre) - I know as I just ordered some today for the Chally. City Discount tyres are doing a deal with 4 for the price of 3, and they were nice enough to knock some cost off the spare as well, so I'm getting 5 tyres for less than 4 in some other brands. Looking forward to testing them out!
                                Thanks Marek,

Not sure if the website has changed or I missed the info when I did the post.
                                Post changed to include theLT265/65R17.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X