Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 07-07-14

Default EGR & SPV etc

OK - I have read through as many threads as I could, but I didn't find the answer I was looking for, so forgive me if I missed it, but . . . .

Life was simpler on my Patrol with its stone age engineering and when I wanted to block off the EGR I just did it and never thought twice about it. However, things seem much more complex on the Pajero with holes needing to be drilled in blanking plates and/or throttle plates and the alternative of fitting the SPV device.

So, can anyone tell me how the EGR is controlled on an NW Pajero and what the SPV device does to inhibit the discharging of exhaust gas into the inlet? It seems that this is the most effective way to go, but I'd like some reassurance on that.

Thanks

Joe
Old 07-07-14
Valued Member

HI

Just fitted SPV mod.

This module (variable resistor) works by telling the sensor in the EGR that the motor is cold which ensures the butterfly in the EGR stays closed.

By closing the EGR the engine will run hotter and certainly cleaner with no recycled gases. Fuel consumption should be slightly better.
see below

Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[11]

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gcw2a3GTVxsC&lpg=PT98 ( perhaps cut and paste into browser as no longer hyperlink)

National Academies Press, 2008, p. 98

SPV is easy to fit with good instructions. The only thing I have noticed is that the motor has slight run on when shut down. I'll let CH post the fix for this.
Old 07-07-14
Banned

"SPV is easy to fit with good instructions. The only thing I have noticed is that the motor has slight run on when shut down. I'll let CH post the fix for this."

There is a fix for this?

Come on CH post it please.
Old 07-07-14

Thanks for that Hill - appreciate you educating me there.

So the SPV device is really just using the EGR butterfly as a de facto EGR block then. Clever.

OK - I'm up for it I think. I will contact SPV and order one.

Engine run on - I read about a 12mm hole being drilled in a throttle butterfly that caused an instant shut down. Is this the fix for the run on?

Not that I am too bothered - my current Patrol has a turbo timer so it runs for at least 30 seconds after I shut down the ignition anyway so I am used to a little run on.
Old 29-09-14

I fitted the SPV Mod a month or so back, and as we were only on our second tank of fuel I cannot give any feedback on fuel consumption. I can though let you know 3000km later we have no engine run on. The Mod has the ability to be tweaked though it appears to be perfectly tuned for the Pajero. Below is a photo of where I added it to the wiring, it was an easy 15 min job I did whilst waiting for my wife to get ready to go out.

It's not a great photo but you can just make out the blue end of the Mod, I had left it exposed in case it needed fine tuning. I can now tape it up and it will not be at all noticeable. Even as it is you would have to go looking for it.
Cheers Mark
2014 VRX raised Bilstein & Lovells HD front SD+Polyair rear. OEM Nudge bar with Narva 225's upgraded to HID, MM Towbar MM electric brake harness. Tekonsha P3. Dual battery with Redarc BCDC1225. Soon to Bullbar (OL or ARB????) plus winch. Rhino Pioneer Rack. Bushskinz Plates and side steps. Provent 200 Catch can.
Old 29-09-14
Valued Member

I've been running the SPV mod for quite a while now, makes no difference to fuel consumption or power. Engine temps are the same as pre mod. Slight engine run on at shutdown which is hardly noticeable though.
But it does keep the EGR closed. 5 Minute job to install and does what it is meant to. Cheap effective fix that has caused me zero problems since install.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | UFI Remap |
Old 30-09-14

Hi All, I have read several posts here and in the Challenger section about the SPV mod. I cant seem to find Tony's (SPV) email. Could someone please post or PM me?

Thanks for your time.
Macca
Old 30-09-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca68 View Post
Hi All, I have read several posts here and in the Challenger section about the SPV mod. I cant seem to find Tony's (SPV) email. Could someone please post or PM me?

Thanks for your time.
Macca
tony@spvindustries.com

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | UFI Remap |
Old 30-09-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
HI

Just fitted SPV mod.

This module (variable resistor) works by telling the sensor in the EGR that the motor is cold which ensures the butterfly in the EGR stays closed.

By closing the EGR the engine will run hotter and certainly cleaner with no recycled gases. Fuel consumption should be slightly better.
see below

Though engine manufacturers have refused to release details of the effect of EGR on fuel economy, the EPA regulations of 2002 that led to the introduction of cooled EGR were associated with a 3% drop in engine efficiency, bucking a trend of a .5% a year increase.[11]

http://books.google.ca/books?id=gcw2a3GTVxsC&lpg=PT98 ( perhaps cut and paste into browser as no longer hyperlink)

National Academies Press, 2008, p. 98

SPV is easy to fit with good instructions. The only thing I have noticed is that the motor has slight run on when shut down. I'll let CH post the fix for this.
Just a little more information
EGR mainly operates at cruise condition, when the EGR opens the ECM closes partly the throttle butterfly to ensure EGR is drawn thru
The pointless part of this, EGR is designed to reduce Nox by lowering combustion temps, Nox is at its highest at peak torque, now that would kill the power too much so they open it up to 60% plus on cruise to create a average reading for Nox which allows the engine to pass emissions, Blanking the EGR or switching it off will leads to slightly higher combustion temps on cruise however these temps are nothing like what is produced at peak torque as an example I run 300c on cruise 500c on hard climb with no van so a few degrees at cruise is nothing.
so in summary
1 EGR design to reduce peak NOx, which it doesnt
2 EGR reduce oi llife due greater amount of soot in combustion with ingess of exhaust instead of air
3 EGR combined with oil vapour from Crank vent will lead to a build up of sludge /carbon in the intake manifold, this is also known to mblock the sensing line for the turbo boost signal , leading to fault code
4 EGR will have a marginal impact on fuel economy, no impact on power
2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Last edited by Muzza; 30-09-14 at 10:26 AM.
Old 30-09-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
Thank you.