Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 20-03-12
Valued Member

Default Smartbar bullbar fitted - Headlight washers

We had the Smartbar fitted to our NW Platinum today. It looks a very neat and professional job. One thing I didn't know is that the Platinum has headlight washers. The fitter rang me to tell me about the washers saying the vehicle is technically unroadworthy without them. I told him to go ahead anyway.
I thought it was only the Exceeds with headlight washers.
It sounds like all Platinums will be in the same boat with a bullbar unless they can overcome the washer issue.
Peter
Old 20-03-12
Valued Member

Nice one Peter. Did you get it sey up for a winch?

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
Old 20-03-12

that is correct with the washers, but you only legaly require them if you have hid lights. so it should not make it unroadworthy.
Old 20-03-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyk View Post
Nice one Peter. Did you get it sey up for a winch?
No, I didn't get a winch compatible bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMc1980 View Post
that is correct with the washers, but you only legaly require them if you have hid lights. so it should not make it unroadworthy.
Thanks for the info.

Someone asked recently for some pics, will do it soon.
Peter
Old 20-03-12

When I had my SmartBar fitted to my NP......they had to remove and replace the windscreen washer bottle with a smaller one......it was a hard job finding a new spot for it...I'm sure the later models would be worse

Dave
Old 20-03-12

Hi Dave

I also recently fitted a Smartbar to my NP Exceed.
I assume they supplied you with a washer bottle.
I used a short piece of steel bar, bent it at a right angle and bolted it to a convenient hole next to the radiator in front of the air cleaner. I then bolted the washer bottle holder to that.
It meant that I could push the washer tube on the washer bottle and also use the power lead without any extensions.
I hope this is of some help.
Jan.
Old 21-03-12
Valued Member

My understanding was that washers are only needed legally if there are glass lenses. The Pajero does not have glass lenses.
2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
Old 21-03-12
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My understanding was that washers are only needed legally if there are glass lenses. The Pajero does not have glass lenses.
The washers are necessary only if you have HID headlights. The light from HIDs is susceptible to diffusing when the headlight lens cover gets dirty. If you were to have an accident at night and the insurance company found that the washers were removed then they or the road authorities could make life difficult.

I had a Smartbar installed on my NT and was able to have the washers extended by flexible hose and screwed to the Smartbar so they still work.

It was easy to do and looks very neat.

John

2010 MY11 NT RX Diesel Turbo: Smart Bar, Bush Skinz Bash Plates, Bush Skinz rock sliders, Ironman side awning, Cibie driving lights, rear LED work/reversing light, Black widow rear drawers, 2nd battery, UHF, cargo barrier, Airtec snorkel, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, poly airs, air compressor, Hankook RF10 265/65R18s, Rhino aero bars

Wish list: Rear diff locker, long range tank, 48L water tank in rear seat well, 3" exhaust, Rhino roof basket
Old 21-03-12
Valued Member

I went back and had a proper read. Note: My Pajero doesn't have HID lights.

Australian Design Rule 13/00 :

Quote:
6.2.9: Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s)
producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective
luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in
conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. 9/

Note 9 says:

Quote:

9/
Contracting Parties to the respective Regulations can still prohibit the use of mechanical cleaning
systems when headlamps with plastic lenses, marked "PL", are installed.

I think I misread the statement about cleaning. Mechanical cleaning could be taken to mean the old style wipers, rather than any type of cleaning. So that may be a misinterpretation by me.

However, the fact remains that it only applies for beam > 2000 lumens. I wonder how bright the HID system in the Pajero actually is? There are quite a few cars out there with HID/Xenon lights and no washers.

Note that levelling is still required regardless.

2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
Old 25-03-12

Pictures!!!! Please.