Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 28-12-11

Pity about the mag - I started buying it early last year when I got sick of the bias in the other mags. I enjoyed the reviews OL had on all types of 4wd's - even the soft roaders. I also enjoyed "window shopping" the price lists in the back of the mag.

As for the 4wd OTY - yes I realise that OL runs with whatever the manufacturer gives them. But why can't the mag make use of 4wd clubs to widen the field of vehicles being tested? How can they proclaim “4wd OTY” without testing nearly all of the contenders?

I also wonder about how statistical the point scoring system is. What weighting do they give for price verses functionality? I mean to compare a $70k Paj with a $100k LC200; well - for an extra $30k you'd expect the LC200 to be better (if I spent an extra $30k on my 4wd I’d expect it to walk on water!) Bit of a no brainer really. Whack $30k of mods onto any ‘average’ priced 4wd and it would probably leave the LC200 in its wake. So is an extra $30k really worth it? Hence the argument for the Disco (but I’d love to see a section in the criteria which could access RACQ/V/ NRMA stats on breakdowns per make of vehicle also) .

If price had a heavier weighting per point than 4wd ability / functionality per point - then what would the scores look like then? Having some sort of weighted average where some things count for more than others would probably iron out some of the bias (then again - maybe not), especially if they published each category score per vehicle so then all could see?? If two different manufactures can produce 4wds capable of traversing the same terrain, one can do it for $50k and one for $100k; both in relative comfort – then surely the $50k vehicle would have to score higher in that particular section?

Last year they had groupings - and this was a good idea (eg "best ute" ; "best value family 4wd" etc). At least doing it this way was closer to comparing apples with apples.

Allonfour - I agree; while I'm sure the V8 diesel in the LC200 is sweet; other engines of smaller capacity (but not too small) also produce similar outputs. I was debating this point recently with a mate of mine who was eyeing off the Toyota 70 series LC; I pointed out to him that the V8 in these things was basically obsolete (different to the LC200 block) - but you still pay through the nose for it. In fact I think the Paj 3.2 produces figures almost as good as the LC 70 - all with 4cyl (correct me if I am wrong - I learnt that from 'window shopping' and reading the stats in the back of OL when they uesed to publish such readable material). Anyway - horses for courses; I think he wants the "T" badge more than anything else.

It was good to see a Paj section from the Vic Club in the back – I enjoyed reading that and not because I am biased. It was something different to the “Toyota! Toyota! Coopers! Coopers!” Even when I turn on TV and watch Great Southeast its all the same now – paid for by the ‘sponsors’.

Does anyone know of a good 4wd mag? Or was OL the last of them?

Last edited by frogfuzz; 28-12-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 29-12-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfuzz View Post
Does anyone know of a good 4wd mag? Or was OL the last of them?
Try Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventure magazine. It is a new magazine that hit the shelf late this year and is only published quarterly (4 mags a year).

Now: Mazda MX5 NB8A
Past: Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 29-12-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilli View Post
Try Pat Callinan's 4x4 Adventure magazine. It is a new magazine that hit the shelf late this year and is only published quarterly (4 mags a year).
We're off the original topic here but I agree with Chilli. Pats magazine is a high quality informative read and I'll certainly be purchasing volume 2 when released.

Craig
2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank
Old 29-12-11

i spoke to my brother the other day and he was talking about buying a defender 110 dual cab, some limited edition thing at, wait for it - $60k

You could have almost two similarly equipped tritons (ie pretty much base model) for that price, ill admit i used to love range rovers and discos but defenders i cant stand

i could get an extreamly low km nt exceed too, oh well horses for courses, but to be honest if the budget had of stretched toa td grande prado when we bought the np, the paj would not have even been considered, seeing as though i didnt want a paj at all but the good wife dragged me along to look at one or two, drove them and loved it, especially for 10k less than the equivelant prado.

"love that car"

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1
Old 29-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Haven't looked at the mag yet, but the TV show is predominantly an advertising-vehicle for ARB & it's products! That's not to say it isn't interesting & informative on places & things 4WDrive!
At least Pat doesn't drive another blandcruiser!

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 29-12-11

In the same topic, I saw this ad near the Brisbane Airport. Why a pajero ? :-)

See: http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/__data/...-forget-it.jpg
Old 29-12-11

Quote:
... the TV show is predominantly an advertising-vehicle for ARB & it's products!
G'day,

I'll always watch the show but have also noticed it's basically half advertising time... Still enjoy seeing where he goes though... Haven't seen the mag...

Must say I went on a High Country tour recently with some really tricked-up trucks and the one that impressed me the most was the new Cruiser one guy had but for WELL over 100k it should impress...

Interestingly during the trip I used 13l/100k's and the Cruiser used >25! wow... Before we re-fueled during the trip, he had a 135l tank (I think) and was low on fuel, I had a 70l tank and I think I had more left in the tank than he did... Seemed a really nice and capable vehicle but for well over 100k Vs my 42k it should be...

The FJ seemed nice, drove like a car on the road etc but felt I coudn't see out properly on the road in traffic was never sure if there really wasn't anyone in that blind corner when changing lanes etc... And only in petrol too...
Old 29-12-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Interestingly during the trip I used 13l/100k's and the Cruiser used >25! wow... Before we re-fueled during the trip, he had a 135l tank (I think) and was low on fuel, I had a 70l tank and I think I had more left in the tank than he did... Seemed a really nice and capable vehicle but for well over 100k Vs my 42k it should be...
Was that because his 200 series was a petrol V8 and yours a diesel?

Now: Mazda MX5 NB8A
Past: Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 29-12-11
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to JoshF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
G'day,

I'll always watch the show but have also noticed it's basically half advertising time... Still enjoy seeing where he goes though... Haven't seen the mag...
interestingly I think the current series (4) has significantly less marketecture and product placement segments than series 3
NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/
Old 30-12-11

Quote:
Was that because his 200 series was a petrol V8 and yours a diesel?
G'day,

It was the diesel V8 (4.5l I think?)... Seemed a great vehicle and grunty but the owner paid WELL over 100k for it, so for that price I'd expect something pretty flash... Loaded with techno bits, made it awkward sometimes following as every now and again he'd hit the "crawl" button and the vehicle would sit on about 0.1 k/mh so I'd have to stop every now and again and wait, wait, wait, lol... Seemed a great vehicle though...

Actually the patrol's on the trip also used about the same I think, about 23-24l/100... There was one patrol that was converted to a 6l v8 diesel (might have been a Cummins?), wow what a beast, NFI how much that used, lol... But wow, nuthin would stop it...