Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 24-12-11

Default 5th Place in Overlander 4wd of the Year - Bias?

Hi All

New to the website - so I am not sure if this is the place for this post.

Just bought and read the Overlander 4wd Mag Dec 2011 to have a look at their 4wd of the year article. After reading it and watching the video I can't help but think this mag is no better than 4wd Monthly in that, IMHO, it is a marketing arm of Toyota.

4 out of the 8 judges drive Toyota's.

During the testing on the video I noticed the following:
1) On the sand hill climb the Pajero did it without fuss first time, after the track had been churned up a bit. The Prado got bogged. Apparently due to driver error?
2) On the suspension test the Prado cocked a wheel up. The Pajero surprised all keeping all four on the ground - as admitted on the vid.
3) They compared "value" of the Paj VRX against a GLX Prado. Why not compare the GLX Paj against the GLX Prado - keeping the comparison the same? Maybe they didn't want to highlight the $8-10K price difference (well thats what it was when I bought my NT in 2010)

Despite the above they ranked the Paj way less than the Prado??? Maybe I am biased as I own a Paj, but they give the Prado 4 stars for 4wd ability, the Paj only got 3? If the Prado is so much better why did it need two attemps to cross a simple sand dune? If it is so much better, why did its suspension not hold all four wheels on the ground as the Paj did? To blame driver error is a cop out as all modern vehicles are near idiot proof with their electronic gizmos.

They completely bagged the Jeep - yet interestingly in the video it was the Jeep owner who praised the ability of the Pajero off road. I also wondered why they did not have any Jeep Rubicon's in the test. They retail around the same price as the FJ Cruiser, same target market. I see more of the Jeep's on the road up here than I do the FJ's. So why not include this vehicle in the test also? Or would the Jeep Rubicon show up the FJ, which would not be good as Jeep Rubicon is the FJ's main competitor?

The other thing that surprised me is that they only gave the Defender 2.5 stars out of five for offroad ability?? I've seen these things (in stock form) eat up the worst of Nagala rocks on Fraser Island when other makes struggled.

What do other people think? Am I biased or has the magazine been influenced too much by it's "sponsors"?
Old 24-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfuzz View Post
The other thing that surprised me is that they only gave the Defender 2.5 stars out of five for offroad ability?? I've seen these things (in stock form) eat up the worst of Nagala rocks on Fraser Island when other makes struggled.
That is a bit silly.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com
Old 25-12-11
Valued Member

Well, Overlander is now owned and staffed by the same mob who produce 4WD Neanderthal (think green rust-bucket 40 series Landcruiser).
Old 25-12-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psproule View Post
4WD Neanderthal
Hahahahaha, I like it Pat.
Anyway, take those magazine reviews with a grain of salt.... It does seem that they are always biased.
I read a review between an NT Paj and a Prado one day where they bagged the Paj for being too tail happy stating that the Prado was better on fast dirt roads because it was constant 4WD..... Retards. They obviously had no idea that the Paj can also be a constant 4WD at a flick of the transfer lever.
And I agree with you too Frogfuzz. It just doesn't seem credible when they give the defender '2.5 stars' and then neglect to throw a Rubicon into the mix to give the FJ a touch up.
Give me the Jeep over a FJ Cruiser ugly heap of crap any day!
Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 25-12-11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
t just doesn't seem credible when they give the defender '2.5 stars' and then neglect to throw a Rubicon into the mix to give the FJ a touch up.
Give me the Jeep over a FJ Cruiser ugly heap of crap any day!
Dan.
We had a Wrangler as a back up for film crew etc, that went pretty good
Of course you guys realise that we are at the mercy of what the manufacturer throws the testers way. The Prado was supposed to be the D4D.
By the way the Disco 4 was my pick over the 200. Only on price mind you as both are fantastic wagons. Now if Land Rover was supposed to sway my opinion their way can you ask them where the dollars/ free car is as I haven't received anything yet and it's been a couple of months
Dave
Old 25-12-11

Smile

Even before I opened the Mag I knew the result. I guess if they put the price of the car as a point to make be a different story. I got my RX 15k cheaper that the same Prado and when you think of the cost of a 200 series. Thats allot of off road goodies I can bolt to my Pajero fo rthe same cost of a stock Toyota which I have done and I have a very capable off road touring 4x4 which will take my further than a stock Toyota.

But unfortunatly the experts they use have a bias in them before they even get to testing the cars. But as Paj owners they can have the trophies and the glory we know we drive very good 4wd's and dont have to make a noise about it, just sit back and quietly laugh to ourselves at the amount of money these monkeys have shelled out for Toyota that does the same and in some cases less than a Pajero...Love That Car!!
2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc
Old 25-12-11
Valued Member

I regularly hire a Prado for long hauls and must agree with some of the findings here the I would go the Prado much quieter tends to sit on the road a bit better HOWEVER is it worth the extra $$$$$$$ and there is a few of these, you pay for the T on the front.

I will stick with the NP it does all I need with little or no fuss
Old 25-12-11
Valued Member

Have a look in the Other Makes forum for a good write up and pics of Dave's time on the 4WDOTY trip.
Old 26-12-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsch View Post
I regularly hire a Prado for long hauls and must agree with some of the findings here the I would go the Prado much quieter tends to sit on the road a bit better HOWEVER is it worth the extra $$$$$$$ and there is a few of these, you pay for the T on the front.

I will stick with the NP it does all I need with little or no fuss
hinsch,

You would be hiring the latest model Prado and comparing it to your 7/8 year old NP.

Try hiring a new NW next time, the difference between it and your NP is like comparing chalk with cheese.

Tim.
OME Deluxe Bar, OME Sports Suspension, LR Aux Tank, 2xBushSkinz, MM Tow kit, ClearView Tow Mirrors, Scotts Rods 3" Exhaust, Mickey Thompson ATZ Rubber, Spare Tyre Lifter, Nite Stalker Driving Lights, Body Protection Kit, GME TX3340 UHF, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ultra Gauge EM, Dual Batt & Redarc Isolator, Thule X'bars, Front & Rear Wet Seat neoprene covers, Black Sandgrabber mats. OzHummer's MMCS overide & iPod kit.... So far....
Old 26-12-11
Valued Member

and they keep fussing about the V8 in the cruiser but the Jeep and Discovery has almost the same power out of a V6 diesel.
BTW i have a nissan patrol diesel for work and i think the pajero should be nowhere near the patrol in its placing. The patrol is a pig at 118kw and is 10 years behind anything else there (apart from the land rover i know)
Cool Silver 09 VRX, tinted glass all around, 2 inch HD lovells, bilsteins, poly airbags, Airtek snorkel, dual battery, ARB deluxe winch bar, Lightforce 240's, Warn winch, Bushskinz full bash plates, UHF, scangauge, Bogaard turbo timer, towbar, 65 ltr brown davis fuel tank, on board ARB compressor + outlets, 50A anderson on towbar, rear diff lock-traction control modification, diff breathers, in-dash battery voltmeters, EGR blank, hacked navman, Cooper AT3's, Stebel horns.

Last edited by onallfour; 26-12-11 at 06:56 PM.