• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2007_pajero
    • Oct 2012
    • Adelaide

Fuel economy

Am not sure if I have notice it before but its kinda 2-3 litres difference between running with Aircon On. With Non AC car is running about 9.5L/100 KM in city and with AC ON am getting around 12L/100KM.

I think its normal for every car little more juicy with AC On but I never notice this difference before.
    2007 NS--- Sold
    2014 NW--Current
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Pretty normal for vehicles to use more fuel with aircon running bud.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

I seriously cannot pick any significant difference in fuel consumption with or without A/C operating. I think my NW uses slightly more fuel when things are hot (performance seems to be down a little) but when it is cooler, I can barely pick the difference. Modern A/C systems are quite efficient.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by 2007_pajero View Post
        Am not sure if I have notice it before but its kinda 2-3 litres difference between running with Aircon On. With Non AC car is running about 9.5L/100 KM in city and with AC ON am getting around 12L/100KM.

I think its normal for every car little more juicy with AC On but I never notice this difference before.
        Sounds high - a/c uses some engine power of course (old room a/cs were rated as 2 or 3hp, etc.), but that seems a lot - is that in light or heavy traffic, warm or hot days, etc?

None of my Gen 4 Pajeros have used anything like that extra just for the a/c - I would think no more than 1L/100 in mine, although not usually many people in the car & mostly only front a/c on. More people, rear a/c, 40C+, red hot car parked in sun all day, etc. will use more fuel. The slower your travel in traffic, the higher the rate /100km of fuel the a/c will record (as less kms per hour of a/c use). If I get stuck in heavy traffic (don't you love all the roadworks in Adelaide at present!) mine might get to 12L/100 on a short trip in the worst case, but even without the a/c on.

Are you comparing apples with apples, ie, the same trip, load, traffic, etc., just with & without the a/c? A test might be: When travelling at a constant speed on a flat road with notraffic (a/c off), reset the fuel comp, after a few kms, reset again & turn the a/c on - compare figures after a few more kms. May need to repeat a few times to get accurate results.

Does the a/c "cycle in & out" once it has reached temperature? If the compressor is running all the time & it isn't getting really cold, it may be low on gas, which could increase fuel consumption. Check belt is tight & the a/c condensor (in front of the radiator) isn't blocked with bugs, mud, seeds, etc
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• 2007_pajero
          • Oct 2012
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
          Sounds high - a/c uses some engine power of course (old room a/cs were rated as 2 or 3hp, etc.), but that seems a lot - is that in light or heavy traffic, warm or hot days, etc?

None of my Gen 4 Pajeros have used anything like that extra just for the a/c - I would think no more than 1L/100 in mine, although not usually many people in the car & mostly only front a/c on. More people, rear a/c, 40C+, red hot car parked in sun all day, etc. will use more fuel. The slower your travel in traffic, the higher the rate /100km of fuel the a/c will record (as less kms per hour of a/c use). If I get stuck in heavy traffic (don't you love all the roadworks in Adelaide at present!) mine might get to 12L/100 on a short trip in the worst case, but even without the a/c on.

Are you comparing apples with apples, ie, the same trip, load, traffic, etc., just with & without the a/c? A test might be: When travelling at a constant speed on a flat road with notraffic (a/c off), reset the fuel comp, after a few kms, reset again & turn the a/c on - compare figures after a few more kms. May need to repeat a few times to get accurate results.

Does the a/c "cycle in & out" once it has reached temperature? If the compressor is running all the time & it isn't getting really cold, it may be low on gas, which could increase fuel consumption. Check belt is tight & the a/c condensor (in front of the radiator) isn't blocked with bugs, mud, seeds, etc

Thank you for feedback. Cleaning radiator and new air filter does help.Getting it re gas would be next week task.
          2007 NS--- Sold
          2014 NW--Current

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by 2007_pajero View Post
            Thank you for feedback. Cleaning radiator and new air filter does help.Getting it re gas would be next week task.
            I forgot to mention the Pollen Filter (behind glovebox) - is that the one you mean by "air filter" or the engine's air filter? If not already done, the pollen filter is worth checking, particularly if the interior fan isn't pushing much air through (some people have discovered dealers not changing them annually despite being included in the Capped Price Service Schedule).
            I just noticed you have a 3yo NW (I was thinking 10yo NS), so it would be very unusual for it to be low on gas so soon unless it has been damaged. I don't know if these have a "sight glass" any more to check it yourself? Being a 3yo, I assume it is still under warranty, so perhaps ask the dealer as any repairs would be warranty (unless damaged)?
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• flyboy
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2017
              • SA

My Pajero doesn’t seem to change fuel consumption much, if at all, with both air conditioners running.

Did a 2500km trip last week (not towing but car packed to the gills) and averaged 8.5 with an equal mixture of driving at 100 or 110.

My speedo over-reads by 5, so was actually driving at 105/115 indicated. One day which had a few 80 sections returned 7.4.

I’m super happy. My Mitsubishi 380 manual is about 800kg lighter and returns 10.0 on the highway (although the gearing is partly responsible because it’s so short).

The 4m41 engine is really quite efficient. Mate it to an 8 speed and you’d be down in the high sixes, which is remarkable for a 2.3 tonne car with the aerodynamics of a brick.
              Last edited by flyboy; 25-10-17, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X