Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
    Same for the pajero

Goodsy dosent read manuals
    Explain to me why you need a small quantity learn at every service when all they do most the time is change the oil and filter??

It makes no sense.

I read that manual extract and I'm not even sure what it refers to.

Did you read the note? Why whould you need periodic learning if it's done every service??????
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Stoneman
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2012
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
      Explain to me why you need a small quantity learn at every service when all they do most the time is change the oil and filter??

It makes no sense.

I read that manual extract and I'm not even sure what it refers to.

Did you read the note? Why whould you need periodic learning if it's done every service??????
      No one is telling you to do it
      NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

I'm not. What does that extract page refer to?

"1. If small injection quantity learning has not been executed, the engine warning lamp Blinks."

Why???????????????????????????????????

I changed the oil. WTF.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• danm
          • Jul 2013
          • Gold Coast

Goodsy, the reason I'm interested is that the service and warranty customer information booklet for my Pajero (NW with a 4M4 engine) lists Small Injection Quantity Learning as an item for each regular (12 months or 15,000km) service.

I can do all the other items, I just can't do the SIQL because I don't have a MUT3 or similar device to cause the engine management system to do it. My guess is that it isn't critically important - otherwise there'd be lots of Pajeros dead on the roadside - but it is recommended so I assume it should be done for best performance and perhaps fuel economy.

I have wondered before (on this forum) how others who do their own servicing manage this item. Please know that I'm not telling anyone what they should (or shouldn't) do. I know that most folks on this forum have forgotten more than I'll ever know about these cars.

Comment

• Stoneman
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2012
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
            I'm not. What does that extract page refer to?

"1. If small injection quantity learning has not been executed, the engine warning lamp Blinks."

Why???????????????????????????????????

I changed the oil. WTF.
            I think your reading into it to much

Comment

• Stoneman
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2012
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by danm View Post
              Goodsy, the reason I'm interested is that the service and warranty customer information booklet for my Pajero (NW with a 4M4 engine) lists Small Injection Quantity Learning as an item for each regular (12 months or 15,000km) service.

I can do all the other items, I just can't do the SIQL because I don't have a MUT3 or similar device to cause the engine management system to do it. My guess is that it isn't critically important - otherwise there'd be lots of Pajeros dead on the roadside - but it is recommended so I assume it should be done for best performance and perhaps fuel economy.

I have wondered before (on this forum) how others who do their own servicing manage this item. Please know that I'm not telling anyone what they should (or shouldn't) do. I know that most folks on this forum have forgotten more than I'll ever know about these cars.
              I think it should be done

they wouldn't state it for no reason.

Comment

• DaveE66
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2010
                • Mannum SA

I have only ever had it done when suction control valve changed.
                Cannot see the point in doing every service.
                Only other reason I can see is if fuel system has been played with.
                Mine has now done 220000 and it has only been done twice.

Dave
                NS DiD VRX, ARB Steel Bar, Roo Lites, Safari Snorkel, GME UHF, 2" Lift, Poly Airs, Dual Batteries, Cooper Tyres, Ecu remap, 3inch exhaust, Imax 12000lb Winch,

Comment

• wasasumpy
                  • Nov 2013
                  • brisabane

Many thanks Dan. Your refs on autospeed and autotech gave me a real heads up on common rail systems. Foot on throttle is merely a "request" for more torque is now just that LITTLE bit more understood by this tardy learner.
                  Standard PB, auto, GME UHF, Hayman Reece towbar (second mistake) towing Jayco Caravan tare 1850kgs, loaded 2240kgs

Comment

• csimic
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Maitland

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                    No, common rail systems really only need to go thru a relearn if an injector has been changed, the purpose of the relearn to compensate for differences in the mechanical function of the injector and reaction time of solenoid. Don't read too much in this, most people with never know if a relearn has ever taken place. Too much hype! I can add I have done this process so many times it's not funny on many different electronic Diesel engines , including deliberately entering incorrect injector codes on a dyno to measure HP changes

Thanks for that I have never had it done after changing batteries or doing my own servicing as I have not really had my Paj serviced by a Dealership I haven't ever really had this SIQL done. it must do it by itself. I just get Donaldson filter kits and change the oils more than they need to be changed with the fully synthetic oils of nowadays. I even change the cabin filter ever 12 months had no problem so far.
                    2010 Pajero VRX auto wagon, Cooper A/T 3's, 40mm lift, Lovells, Bilsteins, Polyair bags, Factory Nudge bar, driving lights, dual air cond, DVD player (rear) Hayman Reese Super Heavy Duty Tow bar, Bushskinz front/intercooler and engine sump, Polaris towing camera system, Clearview Mirrors, tows 2013 dual axle Jayco Outback Discovery Caravan. Redlec battery shutoff, Polaris HUD speedo. 400LMT Navman GPS. GME 88 channel UHF Radio. Bendix Stealth 4WD Disc Pads

Comment

• P4J3R0
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Brisbane

About to do a small trip so I might do a injector relearn and see if this makes any difference to fuel usage.
                      NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• chris newman
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Melbourne

Just to confirm there is an app "Russian" but in English. called NMPS Diag that lets you do a small injector relearn using an android phone and Bluetooth ODB11 interface.
                        It is picky on which ODB11 adaptor, one of mine "elm327" did to work but my Konnwei passed the test and I was able to run a fuel leak test, the small injector test did not run as 1 parameter was wrong so I have to wait a few days to try again.

MY10 NT Exceed DiD, Android Headunit 10.1" from Idoing with the camera working. Dual Battery, Piranha Tray for the original battery, Projecta 150A Charging unit, Main Battery Pannasonic (2018), second battery (2019) Lead Crystal 130AH. Draws and Engle Fridge, ARB Compressor, Kings Awning and James Baroud Rooftop tent. Aux Fuel tank.

Comment

• crispus
                          • Oct 2018
                          • Romania

Originally posted by chris newman View Post
                          called NMPS Diag that lets you do a ...
                          I would be interested to know if that app lets you do a force regen as they advertise...
                          Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic, just a car enthusiast...

Comment

• crispus
                            • Oct 2018
                            • Romania

I ended up buying this app and I had to buy a little more expensive BT adapter that supports the commands needed by this app (one could check this using Elm327 identifier preferable one with a newer elm327 chip version i.e v2.x)

I can confirm working so far:
                            • resetting the DPF - I was able to clear P1498 Excessive PM accumulated in DPF and reset the DPF
                            • supply pump relearning
                            • fuel rail pressure leak check (increasing the fuel rail pressure to 180MPa) and allowing to check if there is any leak (after "playing" with fuel lines)
                            So far those $4 were well spent on NMPS Diag. Thanks chris newman

Comment

• chris newman
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Melbourne

Originally posted by crispus View Post
                              I ended up buying this app and I had to buy a little more expensive BT adapter that supports the commands needed by this app (one could check this using Elm327 identifier preferable one with a newer elm327 chip version i.e v2.x)

I can confirm working so far:
                              • resetting the DPF - I was able to clear P1498 Excessive PM accumulated in DPF and reset the DPF
                              • supply pump relearning
                              • fuel rail pressure leak check (increasing the fuel rail pressure to 180MPa) and allowing to check if there is any leak (after "playing" with fuel lines)
                              So far those $4 were well spent on NMPS Diag. Thanks chris newman
                              Well done, it is a great app for those things.

I still can't get the relearn working as one of my values for the Small QT map No. =1 and it needs to be Zero to work, I have emailed the developer to see if any way around it. It says to wait and try in a few days time but this has been a few months now.
                              MY10 NT Exceed DiD, Android Headunit 10.1" from Idoing with the camera working. Dual Battery, Piranha Tray for the original battery, Projecta 150A Charging unit, Main Battery Pannasonic (2018), second battery (2019) Lead Crystal 130AH. Draws and Engle Fridge, ARB Compressor, Kings Awning and James Baroud Rooftop tent. Aux Fuel tank.

Comment

• crispus
                                • Oct 2018
                                • Romania

I didn't tried small QT yet with this adapter/app, but I know that in the manual says that are some preconditions (on your model might varies):
                                1.After the ignition switch is in "LOCK" (OFF) position, connect the M.U.T.-III to the diagnosis connector.
                                2.Put the vehicle in the following idling stable conditions:

Engine coolant temperature: 80 - 90°C
                                Automatic transmission fluid temperature: 60°C or higher
                                Lamps, A/C condenser fan and all accessories: OFF
                                Transmission: Neutral <M/T>, P range <A/T>
                                Power steering: Static state
                                Also, what is not mentioned in manual and I had to do is to have the fuel temperature between 30-60 degrees. First time I did this I had to pour water on the fuel temperature sensor (is located near the SCV valve) in order to make it start...

Another diag tool I use is a chinese clone of the DS150E and it is pretty good. It also have this small QT function.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X