Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 17-01-20

Default Why does my paj have leaf springs??

Hey guys

Interested to know why my Pajero has leaf springs in the rear.

I've been getting quotes for a suspension lift and all of the companies assumed coil in the rear and I had to correct them. Further, pretty much all specifications I have seen listed my car as coil springs in the rear.

It is a 98 Model NL GLS 3.5l petrol. Did some of these come out with leaf springs or is mine abnormal for some reason?
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

Have you looked underneath to see what is actually fitted.

3 link coil suspension was fitted from 1988 on the NF LWB.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 17-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Have you looked underneath to see what is actually fitted.

3 link coil suspension was fitted from 1988 on the NF LWB.

OJ.
No I will have a look when I get home tonight. Are you saying that all LWB Pajeros after 1988 gave coils in the back?

These suspension companies are confusing me!

They have also asked me to measure my torsion bars? I thought all LWB have the same length torsion bar as well?
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry000 View Post
No I will have a look when I get home tonight. Are you saying that all LWB Pajeros after 1988 gave coils in the back?

They have also asked me to measure my torsion bars? I thought all LWB have the same length torsion bar as well?
Yes I believe all LWB NL, September 88 onwards had rear coil suspension.

Both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Pajero had torsion bar suspension on the front suspension but there is a good chance there is a difference in length, thickness and spline count of the torsion bars between Gen 1 and Gen 2, because of the upgrade to the V6 engine would have added more weight to the front end.

Sorry I do not have any data to confirm this.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 17-01-20
Resident

Some base model Gen 2s had leaf spring rears, but I don't know if they were doing this by the time NL was released, and they certainly weren't putting leaf springs under the GLS.

If you have leaf springs and GLS trim either somebody went to a lot of effort or you have a grey import.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 17-01-20
Valued Member

NH GL had 2.6L Astron 4 petrol or 2.5L non turbo deisel, non Super Select part time 4wd .........and leaf springs.

There might of been an GL NJ of similar spec.
I donít think there was a GL NK.

I have an NL brochure somewhere. There might of been a GL in there, but pretty sure if there was it had coils.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 20-01-20

Quote:

When I went and ordered my suspension kit (was self fitting it) the mechanic at the 4wd joint had a look underneath and advised that the 3.0 takes the shorter of the two torsion bar lengths. Hope that might help

Can't help on the leaf springs. My understanding was they were leftovers that Mitsubishi used on the 4 cylinder gen 2 which I don't even know if they made it to the NJ, may have only been the NH.
Old 20-01-20

Quote:
Hey guys

Interested to know why my Pajero has leaf springs in the rear.

I've been getting quotes for a suspension lift and all of the companies assumed coil in the rear and I had to correct them. Further, pretty much all specifications I have seen listed my car as coil springs in the rear.

It is a 98 Model NL GLS 3.5l petrol. Did some of these come out with leaf springs or is mine abnormal for some reason?

I have a 98NL GL (A poverty pack) and it has rear coil springs. Somebody must have changed yours to leaf springs.
XSWAT 1998 NL GL, 3.5L MANUAL, 2" OME 50 mm Lift, MAXXIS 751 33X12.5R15 on CSA N26 RIMS with -11 OFFSET, UNIDEN UHF, NARVA 175 SPOTTIES, AIRCON & RADIO/CD,......CONVERTED to SEVEN SEATER, Manual Hubs (ex tritton)
1990 NG SWB 2.5 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, 33s, LIGHT BAR, GEN 2 IDLER & PITMAN ARMS. PLANS - Dual Battery, GEN2 front brake calipers.
1999 NL SWB 2.8 TDI AUTO JAPAN IMPORT, ARB BULLBAR, DUAL BATTERY, SPOTTIES.
2016 MY16 PAJERO GLX AUTO DID GRAPHITE COLOR STOCK
Old 20-01-20

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=13310
This will give some answers
Old 21-01-20

Can confirm that it does in fact have coil springs after having a proper look under the car. Companies were just confusing me saying it might have leaf springs.

As far as the torsion bar goes they want me to bring it in for measurement before they order it. Kind of annoying since Im fairly sure its the longer ones.