Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Decision time. Replace the Paj with a Triton ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

I'm not sure if this will help or not, probably not, but the latest 4WD Action video at:

does a comparison of 8 different 4WD utes, and for the first and possibly only time in history doesn't talk up Toyotas (too much) and Nissans, and doesn't even over-hype Graham's D-Max. In fact, the Triton wins the comparison, and relatively easily, over the 10 or so criteria they used. As you might guess the only real caveat was on the Triton's rear overhang and potential load problems.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Just about every video test I've seen shows the Triton up there at number 1 or 2. As I said before, if not for the 2.4L motor.......

I went and saw the new van today and the actual specs are
      Tare 2094 (Paj will do it easily)
      ATM 2516 (only just over the 2500 limit and I won't be at full weight anyway, more likely around 2350)
      Ball 176 (a bit more than I expected but not by much)

It has a jerry holder on the back so 20kg of water could go there. The tanks are either side of the axle so they shouldn't add to ball weight. Maybe I could even keep more in the back tank but I'm aware of what happens when a van is too heavy in the rear.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

So if the Triton is a serious consideration then why is the Pajero Sport off the list?

Same engine but better auto for towing, shorter rear overhang, no need for extra expense on canopy, better dust sealing, a more comfortable drive, more comfort/leg room for rear seat passengers than a dual cab?

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

The Sport payload is only 650kg. I'm struggling now with the NX payload so less just makes it worse. I do like the towball max of 310kg however.

In fact, the Sport was where I was heading until I decided on a new van and looking at weights. I'd love one. In fact I don't doubt it's the best option in many ways and I'd prefer it over any dual cab. If I add the extra weight with a replacement fuel tank and carry the gear I have now, it could be too much.

I guess the alternative would be to forget the drawers and use tubs as others have suggested. Maybe carry less crap (shouldn't be too hard) but some of the stuff doesn't add much when you look at each item individually and some, like recovery gear, I have to take.

The 2.4L motor is the other issue, same as for the Triton.

Last edited by Ian H; 17-01-20, 02:23 PM.
          2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
            Just about every video test I've seen shows the Triton up there at number 1 or 2. As I said before, if not for the 2.4L motor.......

I went and saw the new van today and the actual specs are
            Tare 2094 (Paj will do it easily)
            ATM 2516 (only just over the 2500 limit and I won't be at full weight anyway, more likely around 2350)
            Ball 176 (a bit more than I expected but not by much)

It has a jerry holder on the back so 20kg of water could go there. The tanks are either side of the axle so they shouldn't add to ball weight. Maybe I could even keep more in the back tank but I'm aware of what happens when a van is too heavy in the rear.

Where these weights given to you by the manufacturer or were they actual weights as shown on a weighbridge docket. So much understating when manufacturers are flogging vans...bigger bullshit artists than car dealers.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Actual van weights.

One thing I noticed is that the MM site states the Paj payload at 728kg. I thought it was more like 775kg when I bought mine.
              Last edited by Ian H; 17-01-20, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

I'm a sceptic myself with 2.4 litre engines but they got rid of the rubber band (timing belt) lowered the compression added variable valve timing & made it out of aluminium! What could go wrong

But i'm not sure if my scepticism is actual reality or just my mind??
                Times do change.
                I'm saddened by the Sports lack of GVM, otherwise it would be a contender for me in my mind.

I drive the older 4D56 engine, it does enough, manual tranny & newer 2.4 litre "reported" performs better, more torque at a more useable point & less fuel.
                How long it will perform for who knows??

Why do they have to make things so hard

So, earlier this month, Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia (MMM) launched the upgraded Triton VGT pick-up truck with a new 2.4 litre MIVEC turbodiesel engine, which is claimed to offer significantly better fuel economy compared to the …

Mitsubishi Motors Malaysia have today announced several important updates for its best-selling Triton. The previous model’s 2.5-litre 4D56 cast iron block ...
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Brisbane, Southside

I understand the cynicism regarding the PS, but having lived the experience of a changeover form a much loved NT to the PS, I just love the PS.

It tows, it goes and happily retains the super select system. Some have mentioned the D-Max or MUX, but having driven my sons MUX, are you all aware it’s 4WD cannot be driven on bitumen, it is not an AWD.

So by all means make your own minds up on this but the PS is just a great package, even incorporating the M&M lockup feature in 3rd through 8th gears which is the heart and soul of this vehicle, just love it.
                  Last edited by Greg Grey Grumbly; 17-01-20, 11:04 PM.
                  Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                  Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                    I understand the cynicism regarding the PS, but having lived the experience of a changeover form a much loved NT to the PS, I just love the PS.

It tows, it goes and happily retains the super select system. Some have mentioned the D-Max or MUX, but having driven my sons MUX, are you all aware it’s 4WD cannot be driven on bitumen, it is not an AWD.

So by all means make your own minds up on this but the PS is just a great package, even incorporating the M&M lockup feature in 3rd they 8th gears which is the heart and soul of this vehicle, just love it.
                    I don't think the OP is arguing that the PS isn't a nice vehicle - he has a significant concern about payload capacity, and the PS has less payload than his Pajero.

A PS with GVM upgrade? If it's the same axle housing & wheel bearings under the Triton it might be reasonably simple for an engineer to certify the PS rear axle to the Triton's rating?
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

I also think PS it is a lovely vehicle for the correct application.

The output of the engine & fuel economy , transmission, 4wd system, I am in no doubts about.

A GVM upgrade would be a tipping point alright.
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Correct guys, it's all about GVM and payload.

Greg, with all that gear on your PS (boat, motor etc), I don't doubt it pulls well but have you had it weighed ?

Comment

• Greg Grey Grumbly
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Brisbane, Southside

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          Correct guys, it's all about GVM and payload.

Greg, with all that gear on your PS (boat, motor etc), I don't doubt it pulls well but have you had it weighed ?
                          No I haven’t had it weighed, but with only two up, 63kg of boat, 30kg of motor and slide, a bushman fridge and a second battery I’d hardly consider I’m anywhere near max all up weight.

As well my caravan tow ball weight is relatively light 100kg dry, I did measure it once loaded and it was about 160 kg from memory.

The thing is it all feels good, but you’re correct, I should get it weighed.

Greg
                          Greg Grey Grumbly

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Tie Down Racks, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, Almac Boat Loader, Almac Outboard Slide, Provent catch can, More to come
                          Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
                            No I haven’t had it weighed, but with only two up, 63kg of boat, 30kg of motor and slide, a bushman fridge and a second battery I’d hardly consider I’m anywhere near max all up weight.

As well my caravan tow ball weight is relatively light 100kg dry, I did measure it once loaded and it was about 160 kg from memory.

The thing is it all feels good, but you’re correct, I should get it weighed.

Greg

You'll be surprised mate. You also have a bullbar, tow bar, second battery, fridge, wiring and underbody protection. Would be interesting to know your weight.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Out of interest only,

Advice from a dealer/ Mitsubishi sales rep that I don't know from a bar of soap so take it as you will as far as accuracy.

Pajero sport MY20 released in couple of weeks he advised.

Also mentioned has had payload upgrade apparently.

Addition of Aluminium bonnet & wasn't sure about roof skin in lieu of steel.

What payload is, I don't think he had a clue??

Well he did fire 100kg's upgrade but my feeling was it was totally random shot from the hip figure the way he suggested it, as he was looking to the gods for guidance on a figure i felt???

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                                Valued Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • Greater Sydney

When were looking for iout Pajero Bobbi asked the salesman what the wire was running around the last on the window on the passenger side.

To mu amazement he answered .'it's a heater to keep that window clear in bad weather. When you turn your head you can check your blind spot clearly.'

Most sales people know bugger all.

Reps as I was had to know everything that were selling we were selling to a different class if people.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X