Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

Default NL Takata Airbag Alert

Apparently NL's may have dodgy Takata airbags. Check productsafety.gov.au for further info.
Old 17-12-19

I have a 1999 NL, saw it on the news, but unable to find anything on the Safety Recall Site, must be looking in the wrong area. Just found it on the ACCC web site under NEWS. Have sent off an email to see what happens next.

Graham

Last edited by 2lateagain; 17-12-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

VIN list is “TBA” on the productsafety website.

If I remember tomorrow I’ll call the listed number. I really hope I don’t have to go thru replacement.

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

Link to the list of affected vehicles:

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-releas...ag-safety-risk

They are suggesting people consider not driving affected vehicles.
Old 17-12-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex86 View Post
VIN list is “TBA” on the productsafety website.

If I remember tomorrow I’ll call the listed number. I really hope I don’t have to go thru replacement.
I was sent a notice from Takata in July this year that our Astra 09 needed to have the driver side airbag replaced and gave me instructions what to do, so I rang our local dealer of GMH and they said we can do it but we are fully booked and the earliest we could do was in November, I said fine and booked it in. Well in the mean time I had a second letter saying this is the 2nd notice you must get your airbag changed over. I rang them and said it was booked in to be done in November at our local dealer and gave them details of were it was to be done and the date, they said that's ok sorry about. Ok on the day I took it to the local dealer at the time they gave me, they said about 1 hour to do fine. They rang me all done your car is ready, picked up the car no problems yes it only took about an hour, no problems. Got home checked the mail box after I got out of the car, a notice from the post office you have registered mail went to the PO. Guess what a letter telling me that this is a 3rd notice saying do not drive this car until the airbag is replaced you will need to organize a tow truck to take it to the dealer as your vehicle is unsafe to drive we will cover the cost of this. Confused, me to.
Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC
Old 17-12-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I was sent a notice from Takata in July this year that our Astra 09 needed to have the driver side airbag replaced and gave me instructions what to do, so I rang our local dealer of GMH and they said we can do it but we are fully booked and the earliest we could do was in November, I said fine and booked it in. Well in the mean time I had a second letter saying this is the 2nd notice you must get your airbag changed over. I rang them and said it was booked in to be done in November at our local dealer and gave them details of were it was to be done and the date, they said that's ok sorry about. Ok on the day I took it to the local dealer at the time they gave me, they said about 1 hour to do fine. They rang me all done your car is ready, picked up the car no problems yes it only took about an hour, no problems. Got home checked the mail box after I got out of the car, a notice from the post office you have registered mail went to the PO. Guess what a letter telling me that this is a 3rd notice saying do not drive this car until the airbag is replaced you will need to organize a tow truck to take it to the dealer as your vehicle is unsafe to drive we will cover the cost of this. Confused, me to.
Yeah you were driving around with a possible bomb in your face.
Not a bomb unless the airbag is activated of course.
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I'm not - car makers trying to cover their backside whilst not meeting their obligations really annoy me. Some dealers appear to have restricted the number of airbag recalls they will perform in a given period of time because they don't get paid as much as if their people are doing service work, so they ration the recall work to protect their "bottom line" - the car makers need to stamp out this outrageous practice by some dealers. If you book a service at your cost your airbag may suddenly be done at the same time.
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

NL Pajeros adn certain BMW's and a couple of other cars are now being recalled in the USA - the airbag fault is not the same as the earlier takata issue its just been discovered that the older canisters are just getting old and rusting (like I have been saying since the Takata thing started) and have now been known to have caused death - one being a NL Pajero here in Aussie.... In the USA the recall states that all affected vehciles are now unsafe to drive and need to be trailered to the dealer to be rectified.

I have actually replaced my dash with a non Airbag NL model complete with the steering wheel I did this 2 years ago and have recieved major flak about driving an unsafe vehicle in other circles (and likely will here as well now) but working in the smash repair industry and seeing the state of those canisters ----- I dont trust any old airbag canisters at all

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
Yeah you were driving around with a possible bomb in your face.
Not a bomb unless the airbag is activated of course.

There have been cases where the canister has activated without an accident and the driver has died.
Old 17-12-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumagoo View Post

I have actually replaced my dash with a non Airbag NL model complete with the steering wheel I did this 2 years ago and have recieved major flak about driving an unsafe vehicle in other circles (and likely will here as well now) but working in the smash repair industry and seeing the state of those canisters ----- I dont trust any old airbag canisters at all
Isn't that just as safe/dangerous as just driving a non airbag from the factory car? Seems a bit extreme to say it's an unsafe car

Can't you just unplug the airbag or ecu if you have to wait a fair while to get it done?

Last edited by disco stu; 18-12-19 at 02:55 PM.