• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

Press-any portable type options?

I'm thinking of buying a press. I don't really want one taking up room in the garage, but after paying the local garage $40 to press on a ba falcon rear axle bearing/collet (5 min work) I think it's a wise idea. He wasn't real happy about me questioning his rate either!

Jobs I'll need to do soon are ball joints and other suspension parts of the pajero. In the future I'll need to do the falcon wagon rear axle bearings I'm sure, plus other typical car jobs.

Is there a portable option that would work for these jobs, or am I stuck with a free standing type?

While I'm at it, what sort of pressure am I going to need for these types of jobs?

Thanks in advance

Stu
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

Having done the rear wheel bearings on an NJ, an MK and an ML you need a good freestanding press. The bearings and the retaining collars are f@#king tight.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• disco stu
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2018
      • Wollongong

Cheers Pharb, good to know. Sounds like it's maybe similar design to the falcon wagons-bearing is held on with a dirty big steel ring that is pressed on to hold it all together

How much pressure did you need to do those bearings?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X