Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 18-01-20

Default Pajero fuel limit question.

So this might seem a stupid question but here goes.
Why is it, i never seem to be able to fill my tank to the factory set amount?
So the my pajero is suppose to be a 88litre tank but I've probably never been able to fill more than 80 litres at the pump.

As i said probably a silly question but keen to know why that is.

Thanks
Old 18-01-20
Valued Member

Probably because you haven't rub it dry.
Old 18-01-20
Valued Member

As mentioned, it will still have some fuel in the tank - I think about 82 litres is the most I have ever been able to add. Note it is not good for the car to run it dry.

As the tank is quite long & flat, it can make a difference if the car is not level when filling - nose down gets more in & tail down gets less in (as the filler is near the back of the tank).
Only try to get more in if you are going to drive some distance immediately, as some room should be left for the fuel to expand when hot.

Also, when filling, you may need to pause when it first clicks off to let the foam settle - this is less of an issue if using premium diesel which has anti foaming additives.
Old 18-01-20

The level of the car is the main issue. I have found most servo’s lean downhill, I have had some where I have got a measly 70l in an empty tank.
Old 18-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauno View Post
The level of the car is the main issue. I have found most servo’s lean downhill, I have had some where I have got a measly 70l in an empty tank.
What the heck?
Surely uphill or downhill would depend on which way you pull into the driveway area?
MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.
Old 18-01-20
Valued Member

As others have said there is always fuel left in the tank and system so you can't put in the maximum. On my swb the tank is 69 litres most I've got in is 62 litres when I was really low on fuel. That said I normally fill up when the fuel light comes on, which on average is around 58 to 60 litres.

It's been the same on evry vehicle I've owned.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 19-01-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithyv View Post
What the heck?
Surely uphill or downhill would depend on which way you pull into the driveway area?
In the Newcastle area is seems most servos have concrete which falls backward as you look towards the shop part. I guess they design them so any spills go into a certain drain. The majority you can only pull into from 1 side of the road due to dividers.
The Pajero seems very sensitive to slope when filling. I have never owned a car that has done it before. Even the slightest fall seems to have an impact.
Old 19-01-20
Valued Member

I have found when filling my NW that with a normal pump nozzle, the diesel gurgles up the filler tube and cuts the nozzle off relatively early - I can normally get at least another 5 litres in after the first click. If I use a fast fill nozzle, initially the nozzle may shut off once or twice at the start, but it then really goes fast and when it is full it is normally only one more click and the tank is then full - virtually to the neck. My preference use a fast fill nozzle every time.
Old 19-01-20

You're being ripped off at the servo, I can get 128L
Old 19-01-20
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
You're being ripped off at the servo, I can get 128L
160+ But I'm cheating even more.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box