• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bundyk
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2012
    • North Nowra

Diesels and regular short distance driving

G'day all, a question for the brains trust.

We are looking at updating our beloved NM and have been looking at getting another V6. The main reason for this is that the Paj is the wife's daily driver, and it only goes about 5 kms each way to work. The question is, is this kind of driving as bad for a diesel as I think it is, or am I over thinking it, and a diesel will be ok so long as we keep it well serviced?

I've always been lead to believe that this kind of short trip driving is no good for a diesel. Is that the case?

To add though, the Paj will be used for 4x4ing and camping trips, so it will go for a decent run every so often, once a month maybe.

We are looking at NP and NS, which one would be more tolerant of this kind of operating conditions? (Exclude DPF issues in the NS due to this type of driving, I'm already aware of this)

Thanks in advance
    Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...
  • Onsan
    • Aug 2019
    • Townsville

Diesels and regular short distance driving

With modern diesels I’d say it’s the DPF that you need to worry about.

Without getting it up to speed and hot enough it won’t go through a burn circuit so will soot up.
    2011 NW Pajero Platinum

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

A 5 km trip will only just start getting the engine warmed up. Even a petrol engine will not warm up much, but it takes a much longer trip (where I live and in winter, it can be well over 25 km before the coolant reaches the point where the thermostat starts to open). My wife's Mitsubishi Outlander (2L petrol) is pumping out warm within 1 km, and would be well warmed up by 5 km. Diesels take a lot longer to warm up because they are more fuel efficient (less waste heat) and there is a lot more mass of engine block etc.

Short runs are not good for any vehicle, but probably worse for a diesel. I would say that for your usage (mainly city driving and occasional country runs, a petrol engine would be far better suited. For a start, they are quieter, smoother and have immediate response (no turbo lag). Diesel will only get more expensive compared to petrol as the years go by as well. Petrol engines also produce less pollution these days. Diesels cost a lot more to service and if something goes badly wrong with them they are fearfully expensive to repair compared to a petrol engine setup. Lastly, they are much cheaper to buy in th first place.
      Last edited by erad; 18-10-19, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

Thanks for the info guys.

We had been leaning towards a V6 again, but I didn't want to limit our options if the opinion was the diesel might be ok.

We'll continue to look for a MIVEC V6.

Thanks again.
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2019
          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bundyk View Post
          Thanks for the info guys.

We had been leaning towards a V6 again, but I didn't want to limit our options if the opinion was the diesel might be ok.

We'll continue to look for a MIVEC V6.

Thanks again.
          Depends how long you keep your vehicles?

It is considered harsh driving conditions & condensation in oils etc & your service schedules should be halved, regardless of engine type.
          Condensation build up & when engines are at temperature it is basically boiled off normally. But in this use harsh environment It doesnt get boiled away if engine, tranny etc runs not up too temperature on regular basis, if that makes sense?
          + most engine wear is at start up to up to operating temperature so they say
          DPF should be theoretically avoided obvioulsy as 5 minutes each way per day gunna be A problem theoretically
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• dhula
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • South of Perth

IMHO for the type of use you describe, forget a Paj and get a smallish newer (better safety features) 4cyl car.
            Then keep your Paj as the go away for the weekend/monthly camping trip etc.
            Cost more in the rego/insurance stakes having 2 (or more) cars in the driveway but cheaper and easier on the wallet regards serving etc
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• NFT5
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Canberra

There is a lot of sound logic in the 2 car suggestion above, but depends on your own situation.

We have just the one vehicle (Pajero) and a similar short run to and from work each day. Servicing is done at 10,000km rather than the 15,000km recommended and no problems after 6 years.

That said, I have a Hyundai Getz that I picked up cheap and, after some panel work and a respray, will take over the short commuter duties. It won't save much in servicing costs for the Pajero, but will help on wear and tear as well as fuel expense.
              Chris

Comment

• airbats801
                • Sep 2017
                • oregon

As long as your are active on maintenance and oil changes, fil;ters, maybe adding a additive to the diesel, I see no issue with driving them like that.

Comment

• spot01
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Adelaide

If only doing low kms per year & if you don't need the range of the diesel, I'd stay with petrol - the higher fuel cost will be mostly offset by cheaper servicing & lower purchase price.

Having 2 vehicles with low km for both is much more costly than just one car, eg, depreciation, rego, insurance, servicing, etc. Getting an older small "run around" car also poses a significant safety risk in an accident, as older cars are far less safe than newer cars.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

5 minutes to work save the planet buy A pushbike & A Pajero
                    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X