Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 17-02-19

Default Flashing centre diff light.

Just bought a 2005 3.8 manual Pajero, as soon as I hit 100kph on the open road the centre diff light flashes, if I stop and restart the motor all is well until I hit about 100 again. around town it doesn't flash at all.
A friends auto version does the same thing, he says its normal. Cant find much in the owners book about it.
Getting a bit worried as my NL doesn't do it. Any suggestions?
Old 17-02-19

I can't help, but it's definitely not normal.
Old 17-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRO FAN View Post
Just bought a 2005 3.8 manual Pajero, as soon as I hit 100kph on the open road the centre diff light flashes, if I stop and restart the motor all is well until I hit about 100 again. around town it doesn't flash at all.
A friends auto version does the same thing, he says its normal. Cant find much in the owners book about it.
Getting a bit worried as my NL doesn't do it. Any suggestions?
As Having Fun says, its not normal and its probably the most commonly asked question in the Gen3 section. Its probably the front diff solenoids under the air box but have you tried reading the trouble codes?

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=20313
Old 17-02-19

The most common problem is the solenoid valve under the airbox. Prices are cheap on eBay, the solenoid takes vacuum pressure off of the Inlet Manifold its worth checking all vacuum hoses making sure there no splits. There is also a vacuum unit that sits close to the front diff which operates a leaver to engage the front diff, which has been known to seize.

As said most common is the solenoid under the airbox
Old 17-02-19
Resident

If it was something to do with the front solenoids I would expect flashing front lights before the flashing centre diff.

If everything is happy until the centre light starts flashing, and it only ever happens above 100km/h, I'd be suspecting tyre differences.

Are all the tyres a matching set of similar age, or do you have a bit of a mix? Have you checked tyre pressures?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 18-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj swb View Post
If it was something to do with the front solenoids I would expect flashing front lights before the flashing centre diff.
That would make sense but it is not how the lights operated on mine. Solenoids were the problem and only Center light starts flashing.

Hydro, try putting the car in 4H, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)

Last edited by RUGGA; 02-03-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 19-02-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGA View Post
That would make sense but it is not how the lights operated on mine. Solenoids were the problem and only Center light starts flashing.

Hydro, try putting the car in 4d, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)
Second that. I found out one of the solenoids was faulty by applying 12v directly from battery. First and the easiest check.
Old 02-03-19

Default Similar issue

My 2004 has done something similar since Iíve had it ( about 1 year). After I drive about 10-15 miles the center diff light flashes orange and the other tire lights turn off. Once this happens I canít change for 2wd to 4wd unless I turn it off and back on again. Itís mostly a sight annoyance but Iíd love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it. For mine it is not related to speed at all.
Old 02-03-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGA View Post
try putting the car in 4H, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bywaysnothighways View Post
My 2004 has done something similar since Iíve had it ( about 1 year). After I drive about 10-15 miles the center diff light flashes orange and the other tire lights turn off. Once this happens I canít change for 2wd to 4wd unless I turn it off and back on again. Itís mostly a sight annoyance but Iíd love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it. For mine it is not related to speed at all.
Give this a try Or run the fault codes
Old 02-03-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bywaysnothighways View Post
Iíd love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it.
The faulty solenoid does not hold the vacuum needed to keep the front diff actuator in 2H only. Default resting position is 4H i.e. - car switched off.