Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Copper Washers For Sump Plugs

Has anyone had negative experiences with using copper washers for sump plugs?

I replaced my engine oil sump plug washer with a copper one a year ago, and have done several oil changes, never had any leaks.

I'm now looking at the original auto transmission sump plug on my 2004 Diesel Pajero, and it appears to be aluminium, and is showing signs of wear, so I'm about to replace it with a copper one, but thought Id check here if anyone had replaced this particular washer, and if so what did they use, and has it leaked at all.

Thanks

Pedro
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

The engine sump is steel, the engine sump plug is steel so using either a copper or an aluminium crush washer is ok.
The gearbox and transfer case are made from alumium alloy, the filler/drain plugs are made from steel so it is best to use a alumium crush washer to prevent galvanic corrosion due to incompatible dissimilar metals.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
The engine sump is steel, the engine sump plug is steel so using either a copper or an aluminium crush washer is ok.
The gearbox and transfer case are made from alumium alloy, the filler/drain plugs are made from steel so it is best to use a alumium crush washer to prevent galvanic corrosion due to incompatible dissimilar metals.

OJ.
That’s a great point, the transmission body is a aluminium part, but the sump/pan I’m fairly sure is steel. I suppose Isolation between these parts would be provided by the RVT seal or gasget between them.

Apparently copper and aluminium are reactive and it is not recommended that they are in direct contact, but in this case I am sure the trans pan is steel so I’m not sure if it would be something to worry about.

Can anyone verify that the auto trans sump pan is made from steel?

Thanks
Pedro

Last edited by Pedro's Pajero; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:52 AM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Put a magnet on it?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Galvanic corrosion requires dissimilar metals as well as an electrolyte to carry the galvanic current. Water is a good electrolyte, especially sea water, but oil is not. Using copper washers on aluminium casings should be OK - as long as the plug is not exposed to water. Oil is more of an insulating medium so it would not assist in corrosion.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
Galvanic corrosion requires dissimilar metals as well as an electrolyte to carry the galvanic current. Water is a good electrolyte, especially sea water, but oil is not. Using copper washers on aluminium casings should be OK - as long as the plug is not exposed to water. Oil is more of an insulating medium so it would not assist in corrosion.
4wd driveline has water exposure and mud (dirt + water) contamination. Water will dry off quickly so it is not so much an issue unless you operate in very wet conditions continually but mud carried a whole lot of substances that can be highly corrosive either acidic or alkaline. Mud that gets inside chassis rails and is not washed out correctly ends up corroding the chassis from the inside to the outside. Also not helping is cars use the metal body return and although the engine and transmissions are rubber mounted they also have earthing straps to the body.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Wow. I never realised what a science drain plug washers were!!

The only times I have regularly replaced washers on drain plugs (or filler plugs) was on some heavy earthmoving gear or trucks that utilise rubber O rings in O ring grooves, and then only when they are heat effected, aged and have lost there elasticity.

Have replaced a very small number of metal ones, but very rarely. Except for our Ford Laser which always weeped regardless of aluminum, copper or fibre, but after nearly 400,000km the amount of oil weeping from sump plug didn't matter compared to the amount that was dragged past valve stem seals

Thats the only one of my own vehicles I've ever replaced washers on, and the only one that leaks.

However when I did work experience at a Nissan dealer back in the late '80s every service recieved new plug washers.

Can't leave to much money in the customers pocket
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

Been using ali crush washers for years now on 2 paj's. Be buggered paying $1.50 or whatever they are now for oem single use washers. The one ali washer will last numerous changes before showing signs of leakage.

For example:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-x-HON...frcectupt=true

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post

My klr comes factory with copper crush washers on the banjo bolt that attaches the steed upper cylinder lubrication pipe to the aluminium head, kawasaki generally know what thet are doing so i would agree with your thesis.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharb View Post
Wow.

However when I did work experience at a Nissan dealer back in the late '80s every service recieved new plug washers.

Can't leave to much money in the customers pocket
11026-61000 genuine Datsun/Nissan copper crush washers, I sold a gazillion ovem over the years.....