Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Pajero Sport > Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019

Pajero Sport QE 2015 - 2019 The Pajero Sport new to Oz

Old 11-04-19

Default Paj Sport vs MUX

Shopping the MUX against the Paj Sport. Looking to replace an FG Falcon and a mild 80 series Cruiser with 1 car to do everything.

Spent a little time in an MUX on the weekend, am yet to drive Paj.

Usage will be daily drive, ferrying kids around, tow race car and eventually camper, tow loads of wood from my property/in mild bush, get a little off road with family for fun.

A few questions for owners.

- Is the console/leg space issue a real thing or just journo crap? I'm only 6ft but I do have lanky legs. I see shorter people talk about how narrow and cramped the car is, but taller people say they have no issues?

- Do the older models have any known big issues? I'm not looking to drop 50k on a new one, probs 30ish, mid spec.

- How are you going for ground clearance after a basic lift and some ATs?

- I've never owned a Mitsubishi and have only heard bad things, What's the reliability actually like? People who have done big k's for this one please, I know most cars will be fine for the first years.

- Do the straps for child anchors connected up into the roof obstruct rear vision? May just get isofix seats for the kiddies?

- If you drove both but chose the Paj, why?

- Anything other questions/comments you can offer between the two is welcomed.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (21.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-04-19

I have not driven a MUX but have so a Paj Sport. I am only 5"9 and find Paj Sport cramped leg space. I suppose it is the way the centre console is designed. I like to man-spread while driving but if you keep your legs together I suppose it won't be an issue.

Are you also considering a Pajero? I just bought one and is heavenly.
Old 11-04-19

I do like to manspread lol

Not considering Pajero. Don't. Want a full size 4wd, I have one now and want to get away from it.

Towing was another thing. Seen a few people complain about how they tow.
Old 11-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDan View Post
Not considering Pajero. Don't. Want a full size 4wd, I have one now and want to get away from it.
To me a Toyota LC or a Nissan Patrol is a full sized 4WD but personally I do not regard a Pajero to be one. It is not that big to begin with. But that is just my view.
Old 11-04-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionDan View Post
I do like to manspread lol

Towing was another thing. Seen a few people complain about how they tow.

Driving an 80 series cannot be compared to a Pajero. 2 totally different vehicles. The Pajero is such a simple everyday drive and just as capable off road as the 80 series. I have had both plus plenty of other Landcruisers and patrols...I,ll have the Pajero anyday.
Old 11-04-19
Valued Member

My impressions regarding the PS and the MU-X are:

MU-X. Bullet proof engine. A little agricultural. More room.

PS. Modern and more refined. Superior 4WD system (being able to use AWD on the bitumen is an advantage when towing or even in the wet). A bit small inside compared to the Isuzu.

With regard to reliability of Mitsubishis, I've owned/driven:
Gen2 NH Pajero
Gen4 NS Pajero
MQ Triton (current daily drive)
ASX (wife's current daily drive)

My daughter has had two Magnas.

The only issue I've experienced with any of them was the problematic DPF in the NS.

In relation to towing, my Triton (same engine as the PS) tows a 1.2 tonne off-road camper like it's not on the back. I haven't towed anything heavier so can't comment beyond that.

Finally, regarding the actual Pajero, I'd suggest driving one. They don't feel anything like most 'proper' full sized 4WDs, and they aren't that much bigger than either of the options you are asking about.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 11-04-19
Valued Member

Just re-read your comment about towing and realised you were referring to the Pajero.

They are a capable tow tug as long as you aren't towing a massive van.

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto
Old 11-04-19

I test drove a Isuzu MUX when purchasing my PS.
No comparison regarding fit out and included extras.
The MUX is badly in need of a facelift. Cabin looks and feels 10 years old.

Transmission in the PS is great. Keeps the motor in the sweet spot all the time and is very smooth.
I am 6ft 4in tall and find the PS very comfortable. Drivers seat goes way back to give a good driving position and there is a foot rest for your left foot in the right place.
I went for the base model as I found the cloth seats much more comfortable than the leather. Did not need the 3rd row seats either.
Old 11-04-19

I test drove both before choosing the PS. The MUX was on the short list but the wife didnít like it and as well I didnít like the rear cargo area with the fold up seats intruding and hampering fridge slide etc. Overall the MUX felt a little dated.

The PS impressed, it has up to the minute electronics, lots of USB outlets and very smart controls. For towing our 2.5 T van I just love the superb 8 speed gearbox and combined with the finger tip paddle shifters its perfect. It tows very well which is due to the 8 speed gearbox, it tows better than my old NT Paj. It is not as roomy in the front as the Paj but its acceptable.

In the end I chose the PS 5 seat PS over the MUX, Prado, and VW Touareg.

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Slide, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, home built tinny loader -More to come
Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186
Old 11-04-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Driving an 80 series cannot be compared to a Pajero. 2 totally different vehicles. The Pajero is such a simple everyday drive and just as capable off road as the 80 series. I have had both plus plenty of other Landcruisers and patrols...I,ll have the Pajero anyday.
And another 300kg heavier than the PS, only 5 gears which means slower and worse economy.

That's what I mean by full size 4wd.

All the modern mid size ones are 2 ton and much nicer appointments.