Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 29-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Does anyone in Melbourne who has done a mod have a set of springs they could lend/sell you ?

While on the subject of suspension would anyone have PB/PC standard springs (coils) they have removed to put in a lift kit available preferably in the Brisbane area?
Old 29-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4x2 View Post
While on the subject of suspension would anyone have PB/PC standard springs (coils) they have removed to put in a lift kit available preferably in the Brisbane area?
PB/PC Challenger rear coils are the same size as Gen 2 Pagero and PA Challenger.
Gen 3 & 4 Pajero rear coils will not fit.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 29-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
PB/PC Challenger rear coils are the same size as Gen 2 Pagero and PA Challenger.
Gen 3 & 4 Pajero rear coils will not fit.

OJ.
Hi OJ,
Thank you for that information,will make sourcing the parts easier and perhaps a little cheaper.I am actually looking at lowering (dumping) my PB as my wife uses it to taxi her elderly friends about and some have difficulty getting into the vehicle. It has been suggested we buy a smaller SUV but I would prefer to modify what we have as its a good vehicle and I've grown attached to it over the years. It's certain to be a cheaper alternative than a new car or younger wife!!!
Old 29-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Hi OJ,
Thank you for that information,will make sourcing the parts easier and perhaps a little cheaper.I am actually looking at lowering (dumping) my PB as my wife uses it to taxi her elderly friends about and some have difficulty getting into the vehicle. It has been suggested we buy a smaller SUV but I would prefer to modify what we have as its a good vehicle and I've grown attached to it over the years. It's certain to be a cheaper alternative than a new car or younger wife!!!
Well this is a situation I have not previously considered, it would take a few days to work through this challenge. There will not be any off the shelf aftermarket springs to do what you want so these will need to be custom made. There are minimum legal ride heights that need to be complied with as well as maintaining adequate spring rates so the car can still carry the legal loads and not bottom out. Therefore you will end up with stiffer suspension that is less compliant, I would expect 4 custom coils combined with new struts and shockers to be about $2000, so if you want to go down this path rather than change vehicles then send me your email address via a PM so I can send you my best calculated guess at what might work.

If it was me I would be changing vehicles and looking at a secondhand Kia Sorento which is still under new car warranty.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 29-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Well this is a situation I have not previously considered, it would take a few days to work through this challenge. There will not be any off the shelf aftermarket springs to do what you want so these will need to be custom made. There are minimum legal ride heights that need to be complied with as well as maintaining adequate spring rates so the car can still carry the legal loads and not bottom out. Therefore you will end up with stiffer suspension that is less compliant, I would expect 4 custom coils combined with new struts and shockers to be about $2000, so if you want to go down this path rather than change vehicles then send me your email address via a PM so I can send you my best calculated guess at what might work.

If it was me I would be changing vehicles and looking at a secondhand Kia Sorento which is still under new car warranty.

OJ.
Hi OJ,
I just got off phone where I inquired about the legalities of lowering my PB 4x2 (rear wheel drive) and was told it was legal as long as I had 100mm clearance. King springs make a -30mm coil to suit Tritons but most aftermarket coils are heavier duty than standard so I would opt to have original coils reset. About five years ago I had the rear coils reset 35mm shorter which worked well leaving the car level a stance I prefer. I had to shorten the rebound rubber of course and if I do go down this road again well definitely anchor coil to the axle pad (locating point). I like the Sorento but would probably go for a smaller four cylinder turbo auto that will run on 91 octane. Have you noticed most medium suvs require premium unleaded these days and it's bloody expensive. Also heard some time ago the government is going to phase out 91 octane. Now there is some fuel for thought.
Old 29-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Hi OJ,
I just got off phone where I inquired about the legalities of lowering my PB 4x2 (rear wheel drive) and was told it was legal as long as I had 100mm clearance. King springs make a -30mm coil to suit Tritons but most aftermarket coils are heavier duty than standard so I would opt to have original coils reset. About five years ago I had the rear coils reset 35mm shorter which worked well leaving the car level a stance I prefer. I had to shorten the rebound rubber of course and if I do go down this road again well definitely anchor coil to the axle pad (locating point). I like the Sorento but would probably go for a smaller four cylinder turbo auto that will run on 91 octane. Have you noticed most medium suvs require premium unleaded these days and it's bloody expensive. Also heard some time ago the government is going to phase out 91 octane. Now there is some fuel for thought.
100mm is the minimum ground clearance required by any vehicle that is to be road registered, this is covered in the ADR's. So whoever you spoke to only gave you part of the information you required.
However it does not mean you can modify your Challenger so the ride height is lower than the minimum legal ride height as prescribed in the RVCS data, which is the document Vehicle importers are required to submit and have approved by the Australian government. The Challenger has a minimum unladen legal ride height of 502mm front and 512mm rear, this is measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line. This measurement is 40mm lower than the factory standard ride height. Failing to comply with this requirement would result in an unroadworthy vehicle and therefore void your insurance.

OJ.
Old 29-05-19

Okay,so best I get my tape measure out before my wallet.
Old 29-05-19

So.... we've crossed off the younger wife option then?

Can thoroughly recommend Kia Sportage. I have 2.0l diesel and it's a ripper. Better than petrol version.
Old 29-05-19

Quote:
Hi OJ,
Many years ago I was discussing rebuilding TUS shockers on our Gen 2 with The Ultimate Suspension company. In the process of conversation it came up that they did offer a lower ride height spring for more senior customers that had used the Pajero more for towing than off roading.

They might be worth a call. I think their details are included in the sponser part of this site.
Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.
Old 30-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie_au View Post
So.... we've crossed off the younger wife option then?

Can thoroughly recommend Kia Sportage. I have 2.0l diesel and it's a ripper. Better than petrol version.

Yes sorry, but after weighing up the pros and cons overnight I have decided to leave things as they are. Changing either or both would cost a fortune and both have proven to be reliable over the years. When the time comes the Sportage will definitely be on the short list.