• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jake_Slav
    • Jul 2017
    • Dunsborough, WA

Blown head?

Hate to be asking this about my paj ): but 2 days I was struggling to get her to start (would turn over but would stop, and if i hold the key down and it would start to turn over and fire up.)
    Then yesterday i was driving back from my local shops (around 3/4K's) nd notice heaps of white smoke pouring out the exhaust, pulled over and checked the coolant and there was none.
    Everytime I run the car it continues to pour out smoke (very thick) even when idling and drinks the coolant (can see it dripping out mid way exhaust)
    Anyone have any info what could be going wrong? :/
    And if it requires a rebuild, would it be cheaper to put another motor in?
    Thanks, Jake.
    94 NJ 3.0 Auto
  • alchemysa
    • Aug 2010
    • Belair S.A.

Originally posted by Jake_Slav View Post
    Hate to be asking this about my paj ): but 2 days I was struggling to get her to start (would turn over but would stop, and if i hold the key down and it would start to turn over and fire up.)
    Then yesterday i was driving back from my local shops (around 3/4K's) nd notice heaps of white smoke pouring out the exhaust, pulled over and checked the coolant and there was none.
    Everytime I run the car it continues to pour out smoke (very thick) even when idling and drinks the coolant (can see it dripping out mid way exhaust)
    Anyone have any info what could be going wrong? :/
    And if it requires a rebuild, would it be cheaper to put another motor in?
    Thanks, Jake.
    With luck it will just just be a blown head gasket but its almost impossible to tell without the heads coming off. A complete top end gasket kit cost me about $150 a few years ago. If you can do it yourself its not an expensive fix but its a rather time consuming job for a first timer. Then, if the heads need repair or replacing you will be up for more time and expense. You'd be looking at it being off the road for about 2 weeks minimum if the repair job gets messy.

Lots to consider.
    TIME IS RUTHLESS.
    A Subaru '16 Outback Diesel has finally replaced the NH Pajero. (Also had an NA once upon a time). Still got an 89 Sierra.

Comment

• torana68
      • Mar 2014
      • near bredbo

watery oil in the sump? which engine?

Comment

• BeanCounter
        • Mar 2012
        • Tasmania

I recall when I did my head gasket, being my first time I only had a normal socket kit. All up cost me about the $400 mark. That was gasket kit, torque wrench, coolant and oil, and new head bolts. Was also a couple of minor other tools such as spring compressor and breaker bar and extension

Not sure on your mechanical capabilities but for me first time went over the course of three days. (No head work just a good clean)

Three things I recommend
        1) grab some zip lock bags, as you remove bolts put them in a marked bag eg pelenum intake bolts. This way you don't lose or mix up, and when putting the car back together you just grab the next bag and keep going.
        2) with the ease of it all replace the valve seals. Come as part of a vr kit and so easy with the heads off.
        3) take your time.

Comment

• alchemysa
          • Aug 2010
          • Belair S.A.

Some handy hints for head removal....

TIME IS RUTHLESS.
          A Subaru '16 Outback Diesel has finally replaced the NH Pajero. (Also had an NA once upon a time). Still got an 89 Sierra.

Comment

• Jake_Slav
            • Jul 2017
            • Dunsborough, WA

Thanks for all the advice, but the job is way too big for my capabilities.
            Ive never done this amount of work to a motor so i feel like i would screw it up.
            Took Rupet (my paj) to a mechanic yesterday and he said it was done. A valve is leaking coolant into the piston and cant even turn over due to being filled with liquid, he said it will be around $4000 to sort it out if i can find someone to take on the job. He couldnt belive i managed to drive it too him. Think i might have to part him out and scrap it ):
            94 NJ 3.0 Auto

Comment

• ticky
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2015
              • Adelaide

Arn't they the same engine as the Magna or the 380 or something? there should be heaps of them around.

If its a valve, or a head gasket, the job is not that different. Particularly if you take the advice given in another post about doing the Valve stem seals. I know it sounds really scary, but what have you got to loose by having a crack at it. a decent set of instructions, a couple of mates and a few fairly basic tools will see you through. there is plenty of advice available here and maybe some guys in your local area can come over for while and point you in the right direction.

It's mainly unbolting things, cleaning, install new parts and rebolt things back on.

I believe you probably lack confidence more than ability.

It's F%$#ed anyway, what have you got to loose.

Steve
              2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• torana68
                • Mar 2014
                • near bredbo

Still dont know which engine this is?

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Gold Coast

Originally posted by torana68 View Post
                  Still dont know which engine this is?
                  First post states NJ 3.0 auto so it's the 3 litre V6 petrol engine.
                  With that degree of coolant loss it seems likely mechanic is correct and more than a mere head gasket. Rotten thing to visit a Paj lover and right on Xmas too.
                  99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• alchemysa
                    • Aug 2010
                    • Belair S.A.

$4000 seems a lot to replace a couple of heads. (Assuming thats all it needs). But even if it was only $2000 its still probably as much as the car is worth. Unfortunately these older Pajero's are not worth much anymore.
                    TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Gold Coast

To get a mechanic to pull engine out, to strip and rebuild with new bits, the quote is $4k.
                      Perhaps better to put the $4k into a later model and sell the broken Paj for parts. Not many left running but check the link for an example. Seems he had a similar issue and replaced the engine with all the extras done right, per write-up. Must have thought the rest of his Paj warranted the cost to repair. Obviously need to be checked to own satisfaction, but if all is well you get a superior vehicle. Just a suggestion.
                      99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• BeanCounter
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Tasmania

Originally posted by alchemysa View Post
                        $4000 seems a lot to replace a couple of heads. (Assuming thats all it needs). But even if it was only $2000 its still probably as much as the car is worth. Unfortunately these older Pajero's are not worth much anymore.
                        By the same token is it better to spend $2k on a car you know that is only worth $2k or spend $10k on a car you don't know? People have said to me that I should upgrade my old 94, but I rather throw little money at it while it is reliable than throw a larger amount of money on an unknown. Call it "the accountant in me"

Comment

• Jake_Slav
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Dunsborough, WA

I dont have $4000 let alone $10000 for a new vehicle, hoping to get to the heads today to see if its just the gasket, but with little knowledge and basic tools its not particularly easy.... sigh....
                          I really appreciate everyones help! Such a great community!
                          94 NJ 3.0 Auto

Comment

• Jake_Slav
                            • Jul 2017
                            • Dunsborough, WA

Just got the spark plugs out but i'm unsure how to test or see if there is any water in the cylinder(s)
                            struggling to remove quite alot of things due to not having a whole socket set -_- but trying to get the fan out and leaving the battery in, still it gets in the way.

94 NJ 3.0 Auto

Comment

• alchemysa
                              • Aug 2010
                              • Belair S.A.

Hard to tell from looking at one plug.

If its leaking as bad as the mechanic says you might be able to see which cylinder is worse by removing all the plugs and turning it over with the starter. You might see water spray coming out the plug hole.

How far are you going with this? If you are planning to take the heads off I strongly suggest you carefully read the link I provided earlier with head removal hints.
                              TIME IS RUTHLESS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X