• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

New Mazda BT 50 - towing problem ?

Similar to the rubbish advertised about utes being able to tow 3500kg, I just had a look at the specs of the new Mazda BT 50, which is basically an Isuzu D-Max in disguise.

This is the basic model:

Kerb weight 2010 kg
    GVM 3100kg
    Payload 1090 kg

Sounds OK to this point but it gets crazy from here......

Maximum towing capacity 3500kg

GCM (gross combination mass, car plus trailer) 5950 !!

Hook up your loaded caravan or boat which comes in at 3500 kg as many people would do and let's assume a ball weight of say 300 kg (250 would be bare minimum)

The GCM is 5950, take off the 3500 on the back and you have 2450 kg, being the maximum the car can weigh.

Kerb weight + ball weight = 2310. We have only 140 kg left for the gear, occupants, fuel etc.

On top of that, the car at maximum allowable weight is still 1050 kg lighter than what is behind it.

A recipe for disaster.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Comprehensive 4X4 Insurance for 4X4 Enthusiasts. We cover your 4WD and its mods and accessories on and off-road, with Aus-wide coverage for your touring gear too. Get a quote today!
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
      Valued Member
      • May 2015
      • Melbourne

Interesting link, thanks. Some of the numbers change from my post above due to different models but the main issue hasn't changed.
      Last edited by Ian H; 12-10-20, 06:00 PM.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• pharb
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Tyers,Vic

Maybe the target market isn't just caravanners.

Maybe there might be the odd tradey that buy utes.

Maybe the likes of a plumber that wants to tow his 2.5t excavator behind his ute with a couple of extra buckets on the trailer.

Tare 2010kg
        Driver 100kg
        100 litres of fuel for excavator 100kg
        Tools 200kg
        Ball weight 350kg
        Trailer axle weight 3150kg

Total 5910kg
        PCOV Member 1107.
        Daily driver NX GLX
        Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
        Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
        Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Ian H
          Valued Member
          • May 2015
          • Melbourne

Of course there are other options, I'm talking about the 3500 caravan that Joe the goose buys thinking it's OK. Even worse, the bloody sales people in the yard prepared to sell him one.

Comment

• Having Fun
            • Jun 2015
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by pharb View Post
            Maybe the target market isn't just caravanners.

Maybe there might be the odd tradey that buy utes.

Maybe the likes of a plumber that wants to tow his 2.5t excavator behind his ute with a couple of extra buckets on the trailer.

Tare 2010kg
            Driver 100kg
            100 litres of fuel for excavator 100kg
            Tools 200kg
            Ball weight 350kg
            Trailer axle weight 3150kg

Total 5910kg

Exactly! Isn't this the real reason Utes were built in the 1st place? Farmers & Tradies vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the numbers on what they can tow, but heaps wrong with caravaners thinking that these vehicles are aimed at them.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
              Exactly! Isn't this the real reason Utes were built in the 1st place? Farmers & Tradies vehicles.

Nothing wrong with the numbers on what they can tow, but heaps wrong with caravaners thinking that these vehicles are aimed at them.

Most of the twin cabs are certainly aimed at the caravan set....just check out caravan magazines for all the latest adverts from twin cab manufacturers. Cant agree with the towing figures...3500kg is still 3500kg regardless whether its a van or tandem trailer loaded with gear. I,ve always considered utes as work horses...now they are the preferred vehicle with the latte sippers and weekend wannabe s.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Agree Dicko, vans sales are a big part of the ute market due to the payload being a lot higher than any of the wagons, including the Land Cruiser.

in fact, my new 2500 ATM van has pushed the Paj to the absolute limit of it's weight allowances but I had it professionally weighed just to be sure and I'm legal with enough to spare that it's not a problem. But if it was any closer, I'd be forced in to the ute market myself.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Adelaide, South Australia.

This is one of the best unbiased and factual articles I read on this topic.
                  Interesting the only vechile listed than can tow its max tow limit at the vehicles GVM is a Landrover Discovery.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                  MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Paul NT
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Emerald, Vic

[QUOTE=old Jack;643641]This is one of the best unbiased and factual articles I read on this topic.
                    Interesting the only vechile listed than can tow its max tow limit at the vehicles GVM is a Landrover Discovery.

As can the Pajero?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X