• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cwhite
    • Mar 2018
    • Roxburgh Park, Victoria

Headlights

Hi guys , I want to know if those headlights upgrades kits that Kings is selling are worth to buy, I have an NS 08 tdiesel auto in need of better lights. Also please , are the factory roof rails strong enough to support a roof top tent? . Thanks Cwhite
  • NFT5
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Canberra

In a word, no.

Headlights that are designed for use with halogen bulbs, whether reflector or projector style, have a reflector that is specifically shaped to take advantage of a filament that is in a specific position and is cylindrical. LED bulbs have, usually, 3 or four surface mount LEDs that are mounted so that they face sideways. Since LEDs emit light in only one direction, this leaves large areas of the reflector, at the top and bottom, unlit. Even a rank amateur would realise that the top of the reflector is the part that generates light on the road directly in front of the vehicle. Of course there is enough reflected light that you don't always end up with a giant black spot, but the intensity of light in this critical area is all wrong. Have a look at this picture, taken from the Kings website. What's with the weird shadows?

Back to the cylindrical shape of the halogen filament and placement in the light, for a moment. Even though the arc in an HID bulb is roughly the same shape and size as a halogen filament the 'hotspots' are at the ends, instead of in the middle, and the curve of the arc can also play havoc with correct light distribution. For those of us with Gen 4s we are fortunate that the low beam projector actually copes reasonably well with HID. Unfortunately the Gen 3 owners aren't so lucky but not quite at the bottom of the scale. Almost everybody has been blinded by a Hilux with an HID or LED conversion.

So, back to the 4WDSupacentre website. I think that this graphic is hilarious.

Top left is the halogen on low beam. Now notice that the vehucle is on a downward slope and, although probably adjusted down for effect, the low beams are actually pointing, vertically, in roughly the correct position. Top right is the shot supposedly with their LED conversion. Now why would the lights be aimed about a metre higher than the halogens were? How'd you like to be the oncoming vehicle with that thing coming at you, even on low beam. I won't go in to high beam which is obviously aimed at the moon.

Another important thing about these conversions is how much light they put on the road directly in front of the vehicle and the colour of that light. Have a look at the shot with the halogen low beams. Notice how you can see every irregularity in the surface, even the rocks(?) in the middle of the track. Now notice how none of that detail is visible with the LEDs. It's one thing to have lots of light, but if it's the wrong colour you can't see diddly squat.

Technically speaking?

Standards set for the H11 bulb in your Gen 4 low beam specify a light output of 1100-1400 lumens. Pretty average for a headlight and part of the reason why so many members chase an upgrade. It's always been standard practice to quote technical specifications per bulb - certainly that has applied to both halogen and to HID. However, in the ongoing "mine's bigger than yours" race with LEDs it's become common practice to quote the output for the kit, not each bulb. According to the headings, yes, both of them, the specifications relate to the kit.

So, 1800 lumens eh? I've seen plenty of LED bulbs that struggle to put out 300 lumens, so 900 lumens each would not be out of the question. They do say 24 watts so that's 75 lumens per watt which is kind of average. High quality LEDs are pushing 100 lumens/watt without being over-driven. Remember that the 24 watts is power output, not input which would be higher since there are always some losses.

Oh, hang on, there's the current draw spec. 1.6A @ 13.2V. What's wrong here? 1.6A @ 13.2V is 21 watts. How do they get 24W out from only 21W in? Much magic happening here, or is that twitching of my nose a response to BS? It gets better. Their User manual quotes input at 48 watts. So 48W in for 24W out but only using 1.6A? Yes, complete BS.

It doesn't matter. Even if those bulbs were 1800 lumens each, why would you put those in when you can have H9s that will give you up to 2240 lumens, each, and are matched perfectly to your lights. And you'll be able to see the rocks on the road because the Colour Rendering Index is near perfect. Expect around $65/pair for Philips or Osram bulbs.

Next step up? As I said, HIDs will work and boost lumens to a little over 3000LM per bulb. High output, standard wattage bulbs can take this to around 4000LM which is what 50W HIDs used to put out, without the light destroying heat. Budget around $200 per pair for high quality bulbs and ballasts.

The ultimate? Full custom retrofit replacing the projectors with high quality bi-xenon units and upgrades to high beam as well. Cost? Anywhere from $800 to $2500 depending on options chosen. Typical around $1200.
    Chris

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Another Top Post from our resident light expert, well done Chris.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

OJ.
        Wot he sed!
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Wazza999
          • Jun 2018
          • Canberra

What is the way to check if a vehicle is fitted with HID low beam lights? My 2011 NT RX has stickers that warn of high voltage, the lights seem to be bright white-the brightest headlamps I ever had and have a slight delay when turned on, but there are no headlight washers and there's a blanking plate in the bumper where they would be fitted. The ECB bull bar has a slot for washers but perhaps they were removed when it was fitted? From what I can ascertain, the vehicle was first registered in October 2011, were washers compulsory at that time? The vehicle has had two inspections once when the rego was changed from NSW to ACT by the dealer and again when it was registered to me so I'd expect any issues to have been identified.

Comment

• Scooby
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2011
            • Ipswich, Qld.

Does it have the button on the end of the Rh steering wheel switch stick which is for the washers?
            Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

I think on the 2011 RX HID and washer was an option pack as per link below. As Scooby says, does it have the headlamp washer button at end of indicator stalk?

2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Wazza999
                • Jun 2018
                • Canberra

Thanks, no it doesn't have a washer button on the end of the stalk. Could it still be fitted with HID lights? Can't check anything atm as my son has borrowed it and is in Port Macquarie, having been flooded out in his attempt to visit Sturt NP. Looking at the list of options/inclusions most are options not inclusions in the RX. Some I'm glad I don't have, one I wish I didn't have is the 18" rims.

Comment

• NFT5
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Canberra

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
                  What is the way to check if a vehicle is fitted with HID low beam lights? My 2011 NT RX has stickers that warn of high voltage, the lights seem to be bright white-the brightest headlamps I ever had and have a slight delay when turned on, but there are no headlight washers and there's a blanking plate in the bumper where they would be fitted. The ECB bull bar has a slot for washers but perhaps they were removed when it was fitted? From what I can ascertain, the vehicle was first registered in October 2011, were washers compulsory at that time? The vehicle has had two inspections once when the rego was changed from NSW to ACT by the dealer and again when it was registered to me so I'd expect any issues to have been identified.

You've already confirmed HID lights with the high voltage stickers, colour and slight delay when turning on. Other ways too, but definitely HID.

The washers have not been refitted with your bar but if you look underneath there will be a supply line that's been blanked off.

Rego checks don't always pick these things up. Mine had a roadworthy done last week and original halogens retrofitted with bi-xenons just got a "Headlights?" tick. Most mechanics either don't know or don't care. If the lights work then that's good enough.

The separate switch for the headlight washers isn't mandatory under the ADRs, so may or may not be there.
                  Chris

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Could it still be fitted with HID lights? .
                    RX Edition did come with HID lights. One Thousand units released in Nov 2010.
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Wazza999
                      • Jun 2018
                      • Canberra

Thanks Guys,
                      The lack of washers was the thing that made me question, I thought the HV sticker could have been a generic fitment, the delay and colour were the things that had me most convinced. It's hard to sort out what was an inclusion on the RX and what was an option. For example in mine the sound system is the basic one, no rear locker, manual seat adjustment.

Comment

• Patagonia
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Thanks Guys,

The lack of washers was the thing that made me question, I thought the HV sticker could have been a generic fitment, the delay and colour were the things that had me most convinced. It's hard to sort out what was an inclusion on the RX and what was an option. For example in mine the sound system is the basic one, no rear locker, manual seat adjustment.
                        Think youshould have the auto adjustable thingy also if was originaly hid, remember you can spot the system in the front suspension for confirmation.
                        2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                        Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                        31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                        2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

OJ.

I'll believe him that's for sure

Thanks
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Swede50
                            • Oct 2016
                            • Melbourne

I was wondering if there was any opinion on these projector specific conversions
                            Stedi have this

$ 150.00 ,,, would want to be effective
                            NT '10 ARB Bar King & Koni Raid TJM Snorkel Lithium Aux, Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT LRA Aux tank and lots of other stuff

Comment

• stumagoo
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Perth WA S.O.R

Most European car HID washer setups use the regular squirter activator but you hold it for 2-3 seconds to wash the lights --- never seen a Paj setup so not sure for them
                              1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                              *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                              1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X