• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4x4Enthusiast
    • Dec 2014
    • Brisbane North

265/70R17 Upgrade

I have a 2017 NX Exceed with standard wheels of 265/60R18 and is looking to upgrade.

Thinking to go to 265/70R17. The total diameter is 803mm but I am not sure if the rim will fit correctly. I believe that the diameter will fit and not scrape.

My other options are 265/65R18 (802mm diamter) or 265/65R17 (776mm diameter).
    not sure what would be best for comfort and off-road. I am doing about 90% bitumen and 10% sand. Also towing a 1.5t camper trailer.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but it is easy to get lost in the detail.

Any advise will be appreciated.
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by 4x4Enthusiast View Post
    I have a 2017 NX Exceed with standard wheels of 265/60R18 and is looking to upgrade.

Thinking to go to 265/70R17. The total diameter is 803mm but I am not sure if the rim will fit correctly. I believe that the diameter will fit and not scrape.

My other options are 265/65R18 (802mm diamter) or 265/65R17 (776mm diameter).
    not sure what would be best for comfort and off-road. I am doing about 90% bitumen and 10% sand. Also towing a 1.5t camper trailer.

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam but it is easy to get lost in the detail.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Have you got 2 sets of rims? You talk about 17 and 18 inch tyres. 17 inch wont go on an 18 inch rim. 18 inch wont tif a 17inch either.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Ozzz
      • May 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      Have you got 2 sets of rims? You talk about 17 and 18 inch tyres. 17 inch wont go on an 18 inch rim. 18 inch wont tif a 17inch either.
      This detail is the key
      My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

I think the size you may need reading between the lines might be 265/65R18 = 803mm

The STD rim size for NX 2017 is 18" rims,

But of course could be changed to a 17" rim no problems at all & also taller wall, better for offroad.

For info only if you look at GLX MY2020 it is fitted with 17" rim & so were earlier Pajero.

The overall diameter is same it is just the 17" rim has taller side wall
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• 4x4Enthusiast
          • Dec 2014
          • Brisbane North

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          Sorry for the confusion😁
          I have 1 set of 18”.
          Considering to put new 18” tyres on the 18” rims
          Alternatively buy new 17” rims and put 17” tyres on them

Want o know which is recommended option and then which profile of tyre to go with the rim

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

More choices with 17" rim

The benefit of 17" rim is taller sidewalls + cost to purchase tyres + options available.

For fyi only

If you go 265/65R18 you will have similar sidewall height as 17" standard wheel to best of my knowledge with slightly lifted vehicle no troubles with scrubbing or spare wheel carrier drama's etc.
            About 13mm lift in height.

This is what i'm going to do at the moment, but if i found cheap 17" Pajero rims, they'll be fitted.

But options of tyres more limited with 265/65R18's.

I have plenty of tread on Dueler 697's 265/60R18's, blind Freddy can see these things have lower profile sidewalls & not my idea of good all round 4wd tyre once worn out
            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 07-09-20, 08:45 PM.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• 4x4Enthusiast
              • Dec 2014
              • Brisbane North

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
              More choices with 17" rim

The benefit of 17" rim is taller sidewalls + cost to purchase tyres + options available.

For fyi only

If you go 265/65R18 you will have similar sidewall height as 17" standard wheel to best of my knowledge with slightly lifted vehicle no troubles with scrubbing or spare wheel carrier drama's etc.
              About 13mm lift in height.

This is what i'm going to do at the moment, but if i found cheap 17" Pajero rims, they'll be fitted.

But options of tyres more limited with 265/65R18's.

I have plenty of tread on Dueler 697's 265/60R18's, blind Freddy can see these things have lower profile sidewalls & not my idea of good all round 4wd tyre once worn out
              I have dine this research and my final decision of tyre will be based on the rim I choose.
              Maybe just put 265/65 on the 18”
              I can pick up a nice set if 17” rims second hand and then go 265/70.
              Both options will end up on 802mm diameter. Just not sure what the 802mm will do on the spare wheel. The diameter will increase by 28mm from the original 265/60R18 that came with the vehicle
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2019
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by 4x4Enthusiast View Post
                I have dine this research and my final decision of tyre will be based on the rim I choose.
                Maybe just put 265/65 on the 18”

Both options will end up on 802mm diameter. Just not sure what the 802mm will do on the spare wheel.
                My understanding from this forum only is it fits car & spare 803mmish

I am lifting spare wheel so maybe I will need to trim carrier to fit 265/65R18's when time comes

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

For your Pajero the 17" factory rims will bolt on OK. With factory size tyres on either 17" or 18" rims.

For both 17" & 18" rims you can go "plus one" (up a step in profile) and still fit the spare in the standard spare carrier, without modification.

If you have a "spare wheel lift kit" of any description, which spaces the wheel away from the door as well as lifting it, you will need to trim the cover a little.

Personally, for serious offroad work, I believe the more sidewall the better. I have 17" rims with 265/70 tyres, for the extra sidewall I can get. I would happily go to 16" rims if I could find some that would fit on my Pajero.

If you want more sidewall on either size rim you can go to a taller tyre, but it won't fit the factory spare carrier while inflated to road pressures. You may or may not also have tyres hitting body / suspension / guards at some point in wheel / steering travel.
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2019
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Personally, for serious offroad work, I believe the more sidewall the better. I would happily go to 16" rims if I could find some that would fit on my Pajero.
                    Funny you say that, my last years of bashing 4wd's through terrain were landcruiser utes, tyres were 7.50/16's.
                    That's what they had on them & we never worried about getting to technical, they worked great to be honest, heaps of side wall i can now see

NX MY16 i just brought has Deuler 697's 265/60R18's, next to my camper trailer very evident as to what you say. CAmper trailer it is fitted with 16" rims, the 265/60R18's really stand out next to it & look out of my eyes a really dumb choice of tyre about as stupid as it gets

265/60R18's harsher ride on tar, easier to damage on dirt or rocks. But it does look good i will give them that, functionality zero unless i'm missing something???

I will be in time looking for 17" rims or at a minimum be fitting 265/65R18's

I have to lift spare wheel due to required draw bar height i'm after with DO35 hitch already fitted, so thanks for info 265/65R18's / 803mm diameter wheel assembly will fit spare wheel cover with a shave of the cover if i understand correctly.

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

265/60R18's harsher ride on tar, easier to damage on dirt or rocks. But it does look good i will give them that, functionality zero unless i'm missing something???
                      I don't know, on a serious 4WD is the bigger diameter/ lower profile choice of tyre & wheel ever a better option for functionality?

I don't think you are missing anything - it's all about looks apparently!
                      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Wazza999
                        • Jun 2018
                        • Canberra

Perhaps a combination of brake disc diameter and large positive offset influencing design and looks. While I would prefer to have the 17"s rather than the 18", I remember experiencing the difference reducing the sidewall height makes to handling. At work in 90's we ran GQ Patrols with split rims, while I owned one shod with Desert Duellers, even with an 80 profile, the difference was tremendous.

MY11 NT Pajero RX 3.2 DiD, OME 2'' lift, Boo' s bash plates (3mm), BFG KO2s (18''), ECB bar

Comment

• alanymarce
                          • Apr 2015
                          • Colombia

We went one size up from the standard on the vehicle (2016 3.8L) and now have 265/65-17s. They're fine - good ride, no issues with clearance, good on the highway and off road. We have a 50mm lift.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

A race car/ road type race car doesn't have much sidewall, less squirmy on the race track i suppose?

Comment

• Larppanen
                              • Feb 2020
                              • Finland

Just fitten 265/70R17 winter tyres to NT with +40 mm lift.
                              Way better looking than previous 265/65R17, fills the gap between wheel arches better.

Almost fitted bolt-on, just needed to cut out sheet metal supports of mud slaps in front of front wheels that made contact to tyre edge when cornering:

Pajero 2010 3.2TD 147kW Automatic

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X