• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phazza79
    • Oct 2010
    • Geelong

Vibration in 4H at 2000 RPM

Hi Guys

I am getting harsh vibrations at around 2000 RPM. It only happens in 4WD. Most prominent in 1st and 2nd under load.

Any ideas where to start with this?

I have a NS Diesel.

Thanks
    Pete.

Comment

• swys42
      • Oct 2019
      • Aldinga Beach

Hi All,

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but also had vibrations that is now gone after replacing the upper and lower bushes in the crossmember. The uppers looked fine but the lowers were all mishaped and tearing so well worth replacing, ill be checking these every year or so from now on i think.

Picture comparing the old lower bush vs new
      Attached Files
      Last edited by swys42; 08-10-20, 09:35 AM. Reason: adding picture

Comment

• benckj
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2017
        • Alexandra , New Zealand

Like others I had this vibration at 2200rpm. It was very annoying as the truck only had 64k on the clock when I received from Japan so I doubt if bushes were the problem. Had the dealer try all sorts of things to get rid of vibration but no success. Then I pulled off dampner and problem solved...........

........5 years later I've just had the transfer box worked on due to a dicky 4wd switch and guess what? Vibration is back. Thinking the Mechanic must have installed the bushes wrong or tightened it up too much cause its worse than ever. Planning on taking back soon and get it rectified.

Will report back once sorted.

Update;
        Stopped in to see Mechanic and he said the bushes never removed as cross member lowered and then simply bolted back up. Doesn't know the condition but have ordered another set and will try to fit myself when they arrive.. If problem not rectified then I'll bring in along with the removed dampner and see if they can sort out.
        Last edited by benckj; 27-10-20, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• benckj
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2017

Picked up a full set of cross member bushes from dealer today and will try and fit (weather dependent) this weekend. Not as cheap as Oz pricing coming in at $28nzd a corner. Mechanic said he would check out but I decided to do this first and then get him to look at if it doesn’t work.

Comment

• benckj
            Valued Member
            • Oct 2017

Crawled under truck today, installed a jack under transfer box and removed the 4 nuts holding sub frame onto chassis. Expected to remove the sun frame and allow access to in inside bushes but no luck. It must be held by another fixing near trans but I can locate. Any tips?

Installed the outer bushes which looked flattened much like the pics in earlier post and took for a drive. Did need to use some O ring grease on bush to get into frame hole correctly. I’d say 75% of the vibration is now gone but still noticeable at 2200rpm. Dug out the removed drivetrain dampener block I removed 5 years ago and might throw that on to see if it makes a diff.

Comment

• aussieintas
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2013
              • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by benckj View Post
              Crawled under truck today, installed a jack under transfer box and removed the 4 nuts holding sub frame onto chassis. Expected to remove the sun frame and allow access to in inside bushes but no luck. It must be held by another fixing near trans but I can locate. Any tips?

Installed the outer bushes which looked flattened much like the pics in earlier post and took for a drive. Did need to use some O ring grease on bush to get into frame hole correctly. I’d say 75% of the vibration is now gone but still noticeable at 2200rpm. Dug out the removed drivetrain dampener block I removed 5 years ago and might throw that on to see if it makes a diff.

You also have the mo uhnt on top of frame to the transmission, see pic below.
              Attached Files
              2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
              88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
              92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
              92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
              99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
              95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
              08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• benckj
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2017

From looking at the trans mount I only saw the bolts securing it to sub-frame. It looked like the trans simply rested against the rubber mounts. I need to study your diagram a bit better to understand what fixing points I m missing.

Comment

• benckj
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2017

Followed the thread leaders advice and replaced lower sub-frame bushes along with the large rubber damper located on driveshaft carrier mount. Wife reports vibration is at last completely gone!

Since I already have the upper sub- frame bushes I'll probably install those as well once I have the chance. Still need to work out how to drop the chassis member as can't install the bushes without lowering as stud bolts are in the way. Must be a bolt into trans according to diagram but I couldn't locate.

jim

Comment

• eligar
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Tea Gardens

Thanks for the good info above people.
                    I extracted my dynamic vibration maker thingy, possible improvement, further road tests needed to confirm. I'll drive her to Lightening Ridge from Newcastle tomorrow so i should know by then..
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	25B27CF9-0B74-458B-800A-5A09C6781DD8.jpeg
Views:	728
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1076965

Attached Files
                    2010 NT Activ new to me 300k, with a cowbell horn and custom rainbow colour lightbar
                    to drive on the beach - lots - thats why i got a Pajero

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X