Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > GPS Tech / Navigation

GPS Tech / Navigation Discussion on GPS units. Maps and laptops

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

The Explore Oz maps are only 144k resolution which isn't any good in the high country or for minor outback tracks.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Last edited by Ian H; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:07 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzz View Post
Thanks mate, as along as it works then happy life. I have decided to get out first. As along as my phone can be used as gps then i can try to andriod auto or carplay to the head units unless the offroad app cant be supported
I think android auto only supports google maps and not any third party mapping products. I understand you can bypass this by casting to the screen. If you loook up threads about replacement head units you will find detailed discussions of this issue.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

I use a 10 inch Samsung tablet. I use Igo for local suburban/city type traffic and Hema/Explore Oz/ Memory Maps plus custom downloads for the rest of Qld. Having access to all the other android apps is handy. Connect via wi-fi or blurtooth to phone if internet is reqd. Next move will be a windows 10 inch tablet...Phone is just too small for reading maps. . Also carry my Asus 14 inch laptop that has heaps of maps as well and is used at night to plot tracks. The Samsung has a 256Gig card full of music as well that when connected via bluetooth to a remote speaker provides the nights musical entertainment. My tasblet is mounted with homemade extension arms resting on the dash and attached to a large suction cap on windscreen. Does not interfer with line of sight over bonnet and is readily available to read...lot better than if it was placed where the central dash media centre would be placed..

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper

Last edited by Dicko1; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:48 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
.....I use ......Hema/Explore Oz/ Memory Maps plus custom downloads for the rest of Qld. ........Next move will be a windows 10 inch tablet.........
If you go with a windows 10 tablet, with an internal gps, check out what the gps is as it probably won't work with MMaps without other interface programs. Unless they've changed back, when they went to Windows 8, Microsoft changed from gps's with NMEA output to APP's which have a different output. MMap also requires a com port input which W10 doesn't have. The MMap will run but it won't read the gps without an NMEA conversion program and a com port emulator program. OziExplorer works ok though. Maybe MMap have upgraded, too, I haven't checked lately.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I use a 10 inch Samsung tablet. I use Igo for local suburban/city type traffic and Hema/Explore Oz/ Memory Maps plus custom downloads for the rest of Qld.

...and you still get lost mate.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
...and you still get lost mate.

Hey....I represent that remark!!!

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
Having lots of friends on facebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...both meaningless.

Telegraph X camper