• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boog
    • Jul 2018
    • Perth WA

Transmission fluid

Is anybody running different transmission fluid other than the genuine in a NX have been told the Penrite brand is ok to use.
    2014 Pajero NX 3.2 DID
  • benckj
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2017
    • Alexandra , New Zealand

I’ve got an NS and changed to Penrite FS several years ago. Even at 1/3 the cost it’s better than OEM. Have upgraded all my fluids to Penrite products including diffs and transfer box. Never been better!

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by benckj View Post
      I’ve got an NS and changed to Penrite FS several years ago. Even at 1/3 the cost it’s better than OEM. Have upgraded all my fluids to Penrite products including diffs and transfer box. Never been better!
      The NS has the Jatco transmission (both petrol & diesel models), which has a reputation for being fussy about transmission fluids. I believe Penrite advertise the FS as being compatible with that transmission, and benckj's experience would support that.

NT+ diesels use an Aisin transmission that is more forgiving of transmission fluids. Having said this, I've been using Penrite FS for a few years, have no problems, and I don't intend to change.

I believe Penrite now recommend their "LV" (?) ATF fluid for Pajero, which has a slightly lower viscosity range that matches the Mitsubishi spec a little better. I type slightly as there is a significant overlap in the viscosity ranges, with the LV (for Low Viscosity, IIRC) being slightly lower.

If your use is predominantly suburban commuting / easy highway running then the LV is probably your best choice. If you tow significant weight, or do a lot of difficult off-road work (soft sand or long steep climbs) such that you might expect elevated transmission temps for extended periods of time, then I would recommend the FS - the slightly higher viscosity range will offer slightly better protection during hard work, at a (minor, probably too small to measure) increase of fuel consumption.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Yeorgos
        • Feb 2020
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Boog View Post
        Is anybody running different transmission fluid other than the genuine in a NX have been told the Penrite brand is ok to use.
        I got mine flushed with the recommended Penrite Auto Trans Fluid LV 15,000km ago , its used as a daily work commuter , regular country drives , two 4wd trips and i can't fault it as it hasn't missed a beat , i also used Penrite ATF in my 07 UZJ100 Cruiser auto with modified valve body also with no issues and in my wife's 2010 3.2 Grand Vitara auto with good results
        George
        2016 NX GLS Pajero
        2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• Boog
          • Jul 2018
          • Perth WA

Transmission fluid

Thanks for the replies I will go with the Penrite..
          2014 Pajero NX 3.2 DID

Comment

• v8r
            • May 2014
            • mudgee, nsw

whats the general verdict on Dex3 in the jatco? i have an ns diesel and can get dex3 and a "reduced" price?

cheers,
            joel
            My Fuelly.com stats

Comment

• Freedom70
              • May 2018
              • Victoria

[QUOTE=Boog;641033]Is anybody running different transmission fluid other than the genuine in a NX have been told the Penrite brand is ok to use.[/QUOTE

I’ve been using Castrol Transmax Dexron-VI Mercon LV in my NW for a couple of years without any issues.
              2014 NW VRX 3.2 DID

Comment

• Stinky
                • Jul 2007
                • Gladstone, qld

[QUOTE=Freedom70;641240]
                Originally posted by Boog View Post
                Is anybody running different transmission fluid other than the genuine in a NX have been told the Penrite brand is ok to use.[/QUOTE

I’ve been using Castrol Transmax Dexron-VI Mercon LV in my NW for a couple of years without any issues.
                Just bought a 20L of this yesterday to do a full flush on the NX this weekend.
                The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• Kingmarz
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2016
                  • South Island New Zealand

I have used Penrite fully synthetic trans fluid in both my old Challenger (Aisin I think?) and current Pajero (Jatco) with no issues and would recommend it. I did a 10ltr flush through trans cooler lines and might perform annually just to give the Jatco some chance of lasting but so far so good.
                  The more I use Penrite products the more respect I have for their brand.
                  Attached Files
                  02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 2” lift, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels & 33x12.5 mud tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

• Yeorgos
                    • Feb 2020
                    • Adelaide

The way i see it is , I prefer to use an engine oil , trans fluid , gear lube , coolant , with an additive package that meets and exceeds the vehicles recommendations regardless of brand and change it more regularly especially when driven in severe operating conditions (which tends to be most of the time for me ) , rather than using the genuine stuff and forgetting to service it for extended periods
                    George
                    2016 NX GLS Pajero
                    2010 JT Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

For what it is worth, I once had a Range Rover with a horrible 3 speed Torqueflite transmission (that was the main reason I got rid of the car and bought a Pajero). The Torqueflite is virtually bulletproof, ut the ratios were all wrong and there weren't enough gears anyway.

One time I changed the fluid. Dexron II was recommended and All I could get at the time was Dexron III. Well, Dexron III is the latest and greatest so it must be better than the old Grade II stuff. Wrong! The gears changes were certainly a lot crisper and nicer to drive when it was all warmed up, but reversing out of my driveway when it was cold was horrible. It was Grip/Slip/Grip/Slip all the way until the fluid warmed up. I phoned the oil company tech support and they told me that Dexron III had modified friction characteristics and that I should go back to Dex II if I wanted to get rid of the jerky reversing when it was cold. I just left it and grumbled about it until I sold the car. I warned the buyer about the jerky reversing and they accepted that nothing was wrong with the transmission.

So beware. Using fluids which differ in specs from the manufacturer's recommendations could have unwanted side effects.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X