• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outback21
    • Oct 2017
    • Brisbane

Diesel Chips

I have had the same Tunit chip fitted to a PB manual for 100k and then swapped to my new PC auto for 25k. This chip set midrange (5) eliminates all dead spot issues and gives noticeably better performance. Fuel usage at HWY speeds with normal load around "manual" 6 - 7 l/100klm and "auto" 7 - 8 L/100klm. I averaged 13.2 l/100klm on my big loop trip (31000 klms) towing a 2 ton van with the manual. I have had no issues with the chip at any stage. Purchased chip in 2012 second hand from ebay for $400. With the chip removed fuel usage goes up 2 - 3 l/100 klm immediately.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by outback21 View Post
      I have had the same Tunit chip fitted to a PB manual for 100k and then swapped to my new PC auto for 25k. This chip set midrange (5) eliminates all dead spot issues and gives noticeably better performance. Fuel usage at HWY speeds with normal load around "manual" 6 - 7 l/100klm and "auto" 7 - 8 L/100klm. I averaged 13.2 l/100klm on my big loop trip (31000 klms) towing a 2 ton van with the manual. I have had no issues with the chip at any stage. Purchased chip in 2012 second hand from ebay for $400. With the chip removed fuel usage goes up 2 - 3 l/100 klm immediately.
      Great fuel economy!
      Do you drive using the semi manual mode or full auto?
      Do you have standard size tyres?
      What are your touring speeds when towing?
      Any limp/self protect modes from the auto trans on long uphill gradients?

Thanks,

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Has anyone done the maths to see how many Ks you need to do to cover the cost of the remap or a $1,600 chip by saving one or two litres per 100K?

An example, a 70 litre tank does 700K so at 1 litre per 100k saving you have saved 7 litres. A grand total of $9.10 per tank.

Work out how many Ks you need to do to cover the cost of the remap or chip.

Comment

• outback21
          • Oct 2017
          • Brisbane

Diesel Chip

My PC LS is fairly standard, tunit chip, egr delete and 265 tyres. I cruise at or around the legal limit most trips. I have not had any limp modes issues with the PC in 18K of towing. I installed a $10 ebay digital temperature gauge, mounting the sensor to oil discharge side of the auto (sensor hose clamped to the aluminum pipe and wrapped with insulation) to monitor the autos temp. It cruises around 60 to 70 degrees towing and goes up to about 95 degrees in town when stopping and starting. I use the paddles when towing and have found the latest ECU MM remap has noticeably improved the autos ability tomaintain a locked condition in 5th longer and to stay locked when manually dropped back to 4th. The lower gears can be a bit frustrating when towing until the torque Converter locks in fourth but after that I don't have may complaints. The Challengers hang together quiet well, the PB towed 2 ton to Cameron's Corner, The Gibb River Road, The Mereeni Loop from Kings Canyon to Alice, Lawn Hill to Camooweal, The Darling Run, the Cape, The Bungle Bungles (no van) all with standard suspension and around 220 KG ball weight. When I traded the PB for the PC with 110k (around 70k towing) on the clock the dealer commented on how well it drove (still original suspension) and its near original condition, reselling it quickly after a quick polish.

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
            Has anyone done the maths to see how many Ks you need to do to cover the cost of the remap or a $1,600 chip by saving one or two litres per 100K?

An example, a 70 litre tank does 700K so at 1 litre per 100k saving you have saved 7 litres. A grand total of $9.10 per tank.

Approx 100k km (give or take 20k km) depending whether 1-3L/100km saving per tank ... it's not really about the Km's, more about about the longer you keep the vehicle the lessor will be the overall cost divided by yrs owned ...

NB the main reason for getting a ECU Tune is improving the driveability of your vehicle ... second comes the improved fuel economy ... it's a small price to pay for satisfaction

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• littleriver
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2013
              • Queensland

here's food for thought ...

whilst travelling in remote area's and those extra 1-3L per 100km savings could make or break your trip ...

we were lucky/unlucky enough to have experience this (GPS with upgraded maps didn't cut it as roads had been washed away in seasonal flooding ) I tells ya that extra 20L fuel that we had managed to save with the ECU Remap got us there ... now no amount of money could even be considered when it may have saved our lives being stranded (not a person in sight throughout the day on a less then travelled road) ...

my 2 cent's worth ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• PeePee
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2012
                • Brisbane

Cost didn’t concern me as long as it drove better and it does, so I am happy with it so far.
                MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Update

6 + yrs now ...

Car still going strong ... fuel economy highway in the 8's around the city in the 10's per 100km ...

Vehicle at 70k km on the odometer ...

Couldn't be happier ...

It's time to load up again and do another beach camping trip .. have new suspension now and will putting more kg's in ... (lot's more km's on the sand)

Look forward to report back

Comment

• PeePee
                    Valued Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • Brisbane

I just re read this post, I didn’t do the remap for fuel savings, I did it to improve the drivability of the car. Good outcome to be frank, haven’t consider the fuel outcome at all.
                    MY12 LS Challenger (cool silver) - 7 seater with ARB Deluxe Bar, IPF Driving Lights, Safari Snorkel, Stainless Bashplate, Ultimate Suspension Lift, Redarc electric brakes, ERPS, Dual Battery (Redarc DC/DC), Icom UHF, Rhino sports bars / platform, ARB Awning and Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's.

Comment

• littleriver
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Queensland

Originally posted by PeePee View Post
                      I just re read this post, I didn’t do the remap for fuel savings, I did it to improve the drivability of the car. Good outcome to be frank, haven’t consider the fuel outcome at all.
                      x2

it's a bonus if we save fuel but who spends money on their car to do that lol ... with all the add on's (weight) more aggressive tyres ... all the camping gear etc. ... with the tune we have a more enjoyable ride and won't be suffering from the missing down low torque & doubling our horse power from take off required to get us out of trouble ...

Comment

• colmat
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Taree

Has anyone tried the chipmydiesel version of chip?

Comment

• littleriver
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • Queensland

Originally posted by colmat View Post
                          Has anyone tried the chipmydiesel version of chip?
                          haven't tried it .. this OP is more for an Ecu Remap ..

just did a quick check on http://www.chipmydiesel.com.au/produ...di-d/1985.html

Doesn't seem to be all that informative and figures are somewhat of a guess measurements at the the fly wheel maybe ? ... a dyno graph would have been nice to compare before and after ... guess you get what you pay for ... ..

quote from their page "Compliant with MOT vehicle emission standards, suitable for Challenger DI-D engines fitted with diesel particulate vehicles (DPF/FAP) "
                          guess they need to do their research as the Challenger doesn't have a DPF ..

Comment

• littleriver
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2013
                            • Queensland

Roosystems remap Xmas special check it out ...

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X