Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bits and Pieces

Bits and Pieces Whatever does not fit into the other catergories.

Old 11-02-19

Default Tent pegs

Good idea?
https://www.facebook.com/patriotcamp...6571626/?t=225
Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC
Old 11-02-19
Valued Member

Google "screw tent pegs" big selection, range of quality and price.

I do not believe a single design peg can perform in sand, wet ground, hard ground and rock. More than happy to look at all alternatives.

I am fortunate to have a set of spring steel pegs with forged and hardened tips. They cost me $2 each about 25 years ago from Industrial Springs in Adelaide, unfortunately the company is no longer in business and I have never seen these pegs anywhere else.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 11-02-19
Valued Member

Large galvanised screws (say 6-8" long) and large flat washers from Bunning do the same job with a cheap battery drill.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 11-02-19
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

These screw pegs seem to be good......until you hit hard rock....unless it can split the rock, you're buggered.

I got some high tensile forged steel pegs similar to the snow peaks that drifta sell at an exorbitant cost.

Wow, how good are these. I reckon I could almost drive them into granite. But at aprox $10 a peg, they would want to be good.

6 pegs - 300mm - about $48 delivered. 6 x 300mm Snow peaks will cost you about $85 delivered.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6pcs-For...53.m1438.l2649

Like OJ said, these coach screw pegs are useless for sand. There are sand variants around and in the vid, patriot say they have sand versions coming soon. The few I've played with were pretty useless in sand. The 500mm sand peg is hard to beat, but happy to be corrected on that.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys

Last edited by sharkcaver; 11-02-19 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-02-19
Valued Member

We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in. But on Dirk Hartog Island, those wide sand pegs were perfect. You need both types, depending on where you are headed of course.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Peders Springs & EFS Shocks, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Infinity caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 11-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in.
I know what you mean. We were at Osprey Bay camp at Ningaloo and the ground is like rock. I had some heavy duty angle iron pegs like these: https://www.snowys.com.au/angle-iron-tent-pegs and they did the trick - with a hefty club hammer. But the Snow Peak pegs from Drifta look pretty neat.
BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Lightforce 170 Halogen driving lights, Brown Davis i/c and sump bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD oil catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker
Old 11-02-19
Valued Member

I have some plastic screw pegs that are ok in soft soil, but I haven't tried them in sand.

I will be looking at the Patriot ones at the show next weekend, but as someone else said, a Long coach bolt and a flat washer will do the same job.

I prefer screw pegs where possible due to my age etc., but I still carry the old tried Steel pegs and a big hammer.

Steve
2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: SMART Winch Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel
Old 12-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
We camped at Ningaloo Reef last year and the screw pegs were the only type we could get in to the fine gravel they had hard packed at the camp area. Even thick steel pegs bent before going in. But on Dirk Hartog Island, those wide sand pegs were perfect. You need both types, depending on where you are headed of course.
I recall thinking the ground was concrete in disguise. I pre drilled the peg holes with a masonry bit.
NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread
Old 12-02-19
Valued Member

It certainly was. We were at Osprey too and I should have parked closer to the timber barrier so I could at least tie some of the ropes off on that. We had the full annex up and I didn't have a battery drill so each screw went in using the wrench from my socket set. No fun in that heat but there was no way those pegs would come out, no matter how hard the wind blew. Unscrewing them wasn't quite so bad.
Old 12-02-19
Valued Member

Check out this video I found yesterday. He bangs one of these metal pegs into jarrah! Obviously no good for sand but for hard ground they would be ideal

https://youtu.be/fy6KEeXwQXQ

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.