Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup View Post
I've got Dobinsons mrr shocks and wouldn't get them again. One front strut has a slow oil leak from new, looks like the shaft seal is letting some oil out. One of the rears has been rubbed by the sway bar.

Also have the c43-043v rear springs. Unloaded ride height was a bit over 600mm (too high) and they are firm. Though they are 200kg constant load, which is what you'd want for some sort of comfortable ride. Dobinsons suggested linear rate springs to start off with, though they are too short to be retained (not that Dobinsons cared).

Would like to know how the rate of these compare to the kcrs-23.

Sad that there are more MRR failures, only hoping my Dobinson MT do not suffer an early demise as my Bilstein/Lovells combination had 3 front strut failures in 90,000km.

Spring Data;

C43-043V Free Length 400mm Spring Rate 3.059 to 5.812 kg/mm.
C43-045V Free Length 410mm Spring Rate 4.079 to 6.628 kg/mm.

KCRS-23 Free Length 375mm Spring Rate 3.038 to 4.018 kg/mm.
KCRR-23 Free Length 395mm Spring Rate 3.038 to 4.018 kg/mm.
KCRR-23HD Free Length 395mm Spring Rate 3.661 to 5.179 kg/mm.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Last edited by old Jack; 14-01-19 at 06:23 PM. Reason: HD added to spring spec.
Old 14-01-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Sad that there are more MRR failures, only hoping my Dobinson MT do not suffer an early demise as my Bilstein/Lovells combination had 3 front strut failures in 90,000km.

Spring Data;

C43-043V Free Length 400mm Spring Rate 3.059 to 5.812 kg/mm.
C43-045V Free Length 410mm Spring Rate 4.079 to 6.628 kg/mm.

KCRS-23 Free Length 375mm Spring Rate 3.038 to 4.018 kg/mm.
KCRR-23 Free Length 395mm Spring Rate 3.038 to 4.018 kg/mm.
KCRR-23 Free Length 395mm Spring Rate 3.661 to 5.179 kg/mm.

OJ.
Great info there OJ. Certainly confirms what it feels like. I suspect that the rate ramps up pretty quickly so the 'compliant part' of the spring is mostly compressed by the weight of the car.
Old 14-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup View Post
Great info there OJ. Certainly confirms what it feels like. I suspect that the rate ramps up pretty quickly so the 'compliant part' of the spring is mostly compressed by the weight of the car.
Without having a coil to measure I can only calculated the load a progressive rate coil will carry for a given compressed length based on a lineal progression in spring rate.

Rear coils on the Challenger, the 1st 3rd of the compression range is taken up by supporting the vehicle's weight and determines the unladen ride height. The 2nd 3rd of the compression range is the normal operating range when the vehicle is unladen or lightly laden. The last 1/3 of the compression range is for when the vehicle is at GVM and when operating in severe conditions. Fitting Peddar 5899 cones will substantially increase the last 3rd compression rates and protect the spring.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
Old 16-01-19

Thx all for the great info. Has anybody had issues with the OzTec shocks? I’m starting to lean towards them, and will definitely be getting the Pedders cones. Another question? Supercheap Auto sell Kings springs and they are A LOT cheaper than what I’ve been quoted, and that’s before any trade discount.. Are they the same springs?
Chris
Old 16-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1972 View Post
Thx all for the great info. Has anybody had issues with the OzTec shocks? Im starting to lean towards them, and will definitely be getting the Pedders cones. Another question? Supercheap Auto sell Kings springs and they are A LOT cheaper than what Ive been quoted, and thats before any trade discount.. Are they the same springs?
Chris

My Trade pricing on King Coils ranges from $145 to $185 per pair depending on what coil it is. Normal retail/online pricing is $180 to $260 a set and also online pricing may have freight extra!

OJ.
Old 16-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
My Trade pricing on King Coils ranges from $145 to $185 per pair depending on what coil it is. Normal retail/online pricing is $180 to $260 a set and also online pricing may have freight extra!

OJ.
Found a full set 30mm lift on special fleabay $299.20 delivered
KCFR - 55
KCRS - 23

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MITSUBIS...UAAOSw4A5YnV7P

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) - OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch front #plate light bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T,Dash cam, 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Last edited by littleriver; 16-01-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 26-01-19

Hi Chris 1972
Ive been running the oztec/kings combo for nearly 4 months now and am more than happy with the ride and handling both on and off road.I do some pretty hard steep off road work and also tow a wood trailer and camper at different times.My setup is heavier than yours so maybe you will require different spring rates but I think you will you be happy with the result if you choose to go this way.
I see your up Ballarat way but I got great advice and service at Can Do 4x4 in Lilydale.Talk to Jacky
2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.
Old 26-01-19

Default Suspension Lift options for me too!!

Hi, I'm also looking for suspension lift upgrade for my challenger and looking for assistance on best options available.

Current set-up....
* 2012 LS Auto
* Factory alloy bar and tow bar
* Single Kings drawer in rear (drivers side)
* 2nd agm battery located between drawer and rear seats
* 265/65/R17 AT light truck tyres
* EBH = 535mm for both front and rear (yes all 4 corners the same)
* No heavy towing, just occasional box trailer for handyman stuff
* Mainly used as family daily drive with occasional offroad trips

Looking to increase the height up to 50mm above original EBH as per NSW regulation limits, just because I like look of lifted Challenger but hopefully new suspension could also improve general handling and off-road performance above standard. Would love to go bigger tyres too but conscious of comments about effect on auto.

Cheers
Old 11-02-19

Thanx for all the advice guys. I’ve gone with the OzTec/Kings combo, and its getting fitted this Friday. Looking forward to a big improvement. ��
Old 12-02-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmat View Post
Hi, I'm also looking for suspension lift upgrade for my challenger and looking for assistance on best options available.

Current set-up...….
* 2012 LS Auto
* Factory alloy bar and tow bar
* Single Kings drawer in rear (drivers side)
* 2nd agm battery located between drawer and rear seats
* 265/65/R17 AT light truck tyres
* EBH = 535mm for both front and rear (yes all 4 corners the same)
* No heavy towing, just occasional box trailer for handyman stuff
* Mainly used as family daily drive with occasional offroad trips

Looking to increase the height up to 50mm above original EBH as per NSW regulation limits, just because I like look of lifted Challenger but hopefully new suspension could also improve general handling and off-road performance above standard. Would love to go bigger tyres too but conscious of comments about effect on auto.

Cheers

Hi Colmat,

Max lift height is Front 570mm front as you need to retain 2/3's of the original droop travel to stay legal. Go higher than this and you have lost too much droop travel so you will get more unwanted traction control and stability control activations.

Max lift height for the rear is 595mm with an Auto and even then you can still get a small amount of driveline vibration at 35kph to 45kph, this can be reduced by fitting offset trailing arm bushes but this does add to the cost of the upgrade.
Factory ride heights are Front 542mm+/-20mm and Rear 552mm +/-20mm, so there is a standard rake angle of 10mm (difference between front and rear ride heights, from my experience the Challenger can tolerate up to 30mm difference before you notice any handling problems.

Without knowing your exact axle weights it is difficult to give you a recommendation on which particular coils to use but the King/Oztec combination is a reasonably priced recreational suspension upgrade. If you travel heavy, tow heavy or do a lot of extended off the bitumen touring at GVM+weights then you need to be particularly careful with both coil and shocker/strut selection. If you weigh your front and rear axle weights I can assist with some more detailed information. What ever coils you fit I strongly recommend replacing the rubber cone spring assists with the Peddars/Aeon 5899 cones as these provide a greater level of spring assist in deep compression and activate earlier in the compression travel, dozens of owners have fitted these and I have not heard of a single complaint about there performance.

Larger diameter tyres and the Auto trans, yes I too would like to go up a tyre diameter and have been worried about the effect on the Auto but now having had Auto Mate fitted for 6 months and 14,000kms I am up sizing the tyre diameter in the next few months when I get new tyres.

OJ.