• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exceeded
    • Feb 2017
    • Newcastle/NSW

Lithium Jump starters

Does anyone have a lithium jump starter like this one from Kings. If so how do they go with a flat battery on a diesel? https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...ower-bank.html
    What do other people have that works
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

I have a Kincrome one.
    Never tried it on a diesel but it claims to start them.

Mines been used once- on the boat. 3 cyl 2-ish litre two stroke. Fired that up like a charm.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Just Cruzin
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Pakenham

I have an SJS 1200 that I use on a 6cyl Skyline that gets driven occasionally, hasn't got enough grunt when the battery is really low so I would doubt it's ability with a flat cold diesel.
      99 NL Exceed with air in tyres

Comment

• Exceeded
        • Feb 2017
        • Newcastle/NSW

am I assuming correctly that these are rechargeable??

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Yes they are rechargeable. Usually takes 240v and 12v so you can charge at home or plug it in the ciggy socket and keep it full when driving around. Hold their charge for a long time.
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• Pwoffey
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2013
            • Adelaide

I have a PowerAll lithium jump starter, 600amp (peak). I have only used it once to try, unsuccessfully, to jump start a Navarra. The Navarra's cranking battery showed 4.5 V on a multimeter. I tried 3 or 4 times to start it with the lithium jumper, which was fully charged. No dice. Finally got this fellow's car started using traditional jumper leads from my Paj's battery. Worked first time. So I don't know about lithium jump starters. Maybe I didn't leave it connected for long enough before trying to start the Navarra the first time . I still carry it, if nothing else it's good for charging my phone, and perhaps it will one day get me out of a pickle. But I haven't given up carrying jumper leads, and hope that if my battery goes flat someone else will turn up to lend their battery.
            BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

I was away with a group early last year and a couple of them had portable jump starters. One cheapy didn't work and hardly turned the motor over but the guy only found that out when he had a dead battery as you can't test them on a live battery.

The other guy had the unit from iTech World which started 2 diesel engines during our trip with no problems at all. I see they are now much more competitive on price, down to $179 for the 1,000A version.

Get back on the road with a portable jump starter that also charges fridges, phones, laptops and other devices. A must-have emergency accessory.

After seeing how good these lithium units are, particularly if you're out on your own without a second car to jump start from, I decided to buy one. I got the TrekPow 1500A for $120 from Amazon (au) which was a lot cheaper than the iTech version at the time. I had a flat battery recently so I gave it it's first test and it was perfect. It turned the Paj over as fast as if the car had a fully charged battery so I'm very happy with that purchase.

It also started my son's VW and I haven't had to charge it back up yet.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• NTBenny
                • May 2017
                • Newcastle

I have a Noco Boost GB70. I leave it under the seat in case of emergencies when camping etc.

Portable lithium battery jump starter packs up to 3,000 amps. Powerful battery booster jump box for jump starting cars, boats, motorcycles and more.

Benny
                2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Flying
                  • Jul 2016
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                  The other guy had the unit from iTech World which started 2 diesel engines during our trip with no problems at all. I see they are now much more competitive on price, down to $179 for the 1,000A version.

https://itechworld.com.au/collection...kup-power-bank

I've got one of these, which I haven't had a chance to use for it's intended purpose (although I could have if the damn thing was actually with me 2 times when it was required...). I chose it because it had good reviews, but also because of its power supply options (12v and 19v options). They claim: " iTechworld include the fittings and adapters to run your 12v equipment and to charge your smart devices. In real world terms, this means you can plug your small 12v fridge directly into the iTECH1000A and run it for up to 10 hours before any recharge is required."

In my 'real world' tests over this summer, I found that it would last around 2 hours with my 40L engel in pretty hot conditions, this was with fridge already cold and generally in the shade. Hardly the 10 hours claimed but not a bad option if making short stops on a long journey.
                  White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

• Ky1e
                    • Aug 2015
                    • Muswellbrook

I've got 2x the thunder branded ones at work.. same as the kings though.
                    They start our new hiluxes & 70 cruisers without any issues at all. Can start ~10 cars on 1 full charge

Comment

• johndavis125262
                      • Apr 2013
                      • brisbane

HI i Brought a kings 1 a bit sceptical at first but damn the bloody thing works battery died . and connected it up and it kicked into gear i drive 2.5 diesel challenger did that twice in a couple of days replaced the battery so it really does work regards john

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

I have had a couple of these units, with mixed success starting my Disco and Paj. If the starter battery is not really flat but merely insufficient to turn over strongly, the jump starter is fully charged and it isn't too old, then they worked well. I've started my son's 80 series LC, my 2.5L Disco and my current Pajero.

However, as they age they don't seem to have the same grunt and to start the Paj the last time they worked, I had to use 2 of them together, both of which were fully charged. I have also found that they work better if you have a friend sit in the driver's seat to turn the key immediatel after connecting them to the battery. I assume its because, with a really flat battery, in the time it takes for you to walk around to the driver's side and turn the key, some of the oomph in the jump starter has been drained by the car's flat battery.

Finally, I also found that you need to remember to top up the jump starter before you go away on a trip as the charge wanes over time and when I hadn't looked at it for over 6months, when I tried to use it, it didn't have enough oomph.

Because of these issues, I have recently bought a OzCharge Rescue Mate RM1000 which conceptually seems like a brilliant idea. Haven't had to use in anger yet so time will tell. I do expect to need it though due to the annoying Paj trait of draining the main battery when not started for several days (this is the subject of another post, with no successful solution yet. Any solutions welcome).

Comment

• Exceeded
                          • Feb 2017
                          • Newcastle/NSW

Thanks all. I wound up getting a Trek Pow 1500. Yet to try it but I hope it will work well

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X