• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NJV6
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • New Zealand

Airbox dust

Today I finally located a very annoying squeak which was where the top of the strut bolts to the body and anyway noticed the inside of the air box a bit dusty on the clean side. What do you guys think of the attached photo. Filter is not very old 17000 km ( rarely in dust) and genuine parts.
    The airbox too does seem to not be as tight a fit as it should but is correctly fitted.
    Attached Files
    1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
    1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
    2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

The dust on on the lower (inlet) side of the filter - not the engine side, so I would not be too worried. More important is the upper side of the air box. Is that clean or is there dust in there as well?

Comment

• Lando
      Valued Member
      • May 2013
      • Lake Maquarie NSW

Ahh that is the upper (engine) side of the airbox erad?

Ive never seen dust in my box on that side and id be looking for answers as to why if i did?!

Are you sure the lid was sealed fully? Looks to be all on one side aswell? The front side of the box....maybe it was jacked up on that side a little bit?
      MY14 NW GLX-R

This thing goes freaking everywhere!!

Comment

• NJV6
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2010
        • New Zealand

Originally posted by erad View Post
        The dust on on the lower (inlet) side of the filter - not the engine side, so I would not be too worried. More important is the upper side of the air box. Is that clean or is there dust in there as well?
        This is the clean side.....
        It 'looks' to be sealing properly but as there are only clips not all the way round it seems to not be a real snug fit. Anyone able to give there's a wiggle and see how much movement there is - specifically on the engine side where it just slides under the tabs.
        1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
        2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

• Lando
          Valued Member
          • May 2013
          • Lake Maquarie NSW

Mine is very snug and doesnt move
          MY14 NW GLX-R

Comment

• Trisome
            • Dec 2012
            • Bray Park

Have a look at the locating pins of the air box on the engine side, and make sure they are located in in the slots. There is 1 front and 1 rear from memory, sometimes they don't go in properly. Easy to miss.

Trisome
            2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• NJV6
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2010
              • New Zealand

Thanks guys. I have rung the dealer and they used a ryco filter last time as were out of genuine. I will get a genuine one next week and compare thickness of rubber edging, I suspect the ryco is not deep enough to give a solid seal.

Comment

• Lando
                Valued Member
                • May 2013
                • Lake Maquarie NSW

Yep i was thinking this is a non genuine filter issue as i find they dont seal anywhere near as well as the genuine ones
                MY14 NW GLX-R

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

Originally posted by Trisome View Post
                  Have a look at the locating pins of the air box on the engine side, and make sure they are located in in the slots. There is 1 front and 1 rear from memory, sometimes they don't go in properly. Easy to miss.

Trisome
                  +1

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• aussieintas
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2013
                    • Sorell, Tasmania

I've used Ryco last couple of services and once a week or so drive on dusty gravel roads. Never had this dust on the engine side of air box.......so perhaps it wasnt seated correctly.
                    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Mike DiD
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007

There Cyclonic Separator usually does a great job of removing fine dust before the filter. I assume Gen 2 has them fitted.

There's a rubber cap at the lowest part where the dust collects - squeeze it to let the accumulated dust out.
                      Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

• NJV6
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2010
                        • New Zealand

Maybe it wasn't seated properly but I am pretty sure it would have been, it's the sort of thing I am fussy about. I will be measuring the ryco compared to the genuine next week and report back.

Comment

• Patriot
                          • Feb 2012
                          • Queensland

Had a similar issue with a sucking sound for want of a better word coming from the airbox. Car has always been serviced by Mitsubishi using their parts. A bit of poking around revealed a small amount of play in the engine side locating pins of the cover allowing some air to be drawn in around the rubber seal. This was on the inlet side of the filter and was not letting dust into the motor. Just annoying.

I made a small clip to fit on the engine side of the filter box and no more leak!!!!!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X