Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_and_m View Post
You say “ No sport mode (manual mode)”
Does this mean you used the transmission DRIVE mode for the climb?
If so, you’ll find you’ve done most of the climb in 3rd gear. This causes a lot of torque converter slippage and the heat. My advice is next time use SPORT mode in 2nd, or 1st gear to reduce the load on the torque converter.
So I ll do a very similar trip again in the next few days, I will stick to sport mode 1st/2nd during the climbs...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Andy View Post
Thanks Marshall,
My NW has the interlock but your tips will be put under R for remember, I'll be in touch
Andy
Our MY12 NW does not have the brake and ignition interlock so it came in on later NW's. However my MY13 Colorado does and it can be a PITA at times, particularly servicing it. The Colorado has a small plastic cap near the gear lever when removed reveals a button that can be pushed with a small screwdriver or similar to release the interlock if your battery is flat or otherwise no power and you need to move or tow the vehicle.
I expect the later Pajero's with the interlock would have a similar interlock release device.
Peter
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morville View Post
Our MY12 NW does not have the brake and ignition interlock so it came in on later NW's. However my MY13 Colorado does and it can be a PITA at times, particularly servicing it. The Colorado has a small plastic cap near the gear lever when removed reveals a button that can be pushed with a small screwdriver or similar to release the interlock if your battery is flat or otherwise no power and you need to move or tow the vehicle.
I expect the later Pajero's with the interlock would have a similar interlock release device.
Peter
Nope - not on my NX.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Did a long trip again this weekend and had huge climbs in it. I kept it in Sport, 2nd gear. No warning light. Thanks for the advise.

By the way, when do I know the torque converter clutch is locked? Is it after a certain RPM level?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

It can lock up when several parameters are met. Speed is only one of them.

To feel what it's like, drive on a flat road at about 90kph and it should be locked and in 5th. As you come to an incline, you'll feel the engine revs increase, almost as if it's changing down a gear but it isn't. It's actually unlocking the TC and the revs will increase quite a bit to get up the incline.

Anther way is to be driving at a fixed speed and then give the car some acceleration. If it reacts quickly, the TC is locked. If it's a bit spongy, it's not locked.

The beauty of Auto Mate or Lock Up Mate is that you have a blue light to tell you when it's locked.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post

To feel what it's like, drive on a flat road at about 90kph and it should be locked and in 5th. As you come to an incline, you'll feel the engine revs increase, almost as if it's changing down a gear but it isn't. It's actually unlocking the TC and the revs will increase quite a bit to get up the incline.

Anther way is to be driving at a fixed speed and then give the car some acceleration. If it reacts quickly, the TC is locked. If it's a bit spongy, it's not locked.

The beauty of Auto Mate or Lock Up Mate is that you have a blue light to tell you when it's locked.
And a dash display telling you what gear you are in rather than just "D" for "dunno".
Once you have had a Lockup Mate or Auto Mate you will not know how you ever lived without one, same goes for paddle shifters when off road.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Nightbreaker +130LB & Phillips +100 HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post

As IanH said, once you learn what it feels like you can tell whether to not it is locked. The main parameters for lockup are speed and engine load (accelerator pedal position). Unfortunately the transmission readily unlocks it under quite light load, and will not lockup until in 4th or 5th gears

This is where lockup-mate to auto-mate benefit, as they are designed to keep the torque converter locked up as a priority, right down to 2nd gear.

In the Pajero, another way to check if the TCC is locked or not is to monitor the two transmission temperature sensors - the pipe temperature and pan temperature. When the two are the same value you know the torque converter is locked. When it is unlocked, the pipe temperature is higher due to the torque converter slipping and heating up the oil.

See this thread for details. Also look at the video in this thread to see how the temperatures change while driving, and when locked or unlocked.
2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BFG 265/65R18 | ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME 3510WS UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles & paddle-mate | auto-mate
2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods
RETIRED 2003 NP Exceed 3.2 DiD Lots of mods
Build thread

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate now available