• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paj man
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Perth

Breaking the Soft Plastic Seal

Just thought I'd share my recent success with SP's - was never a big believer but now I'm hooked (pun intended haha).

I've always gone about SP fishing half-heartedly and have never really seen success with them (apart from the magazines). I've managed Salmon, Tailor and the occasional Bream/Flathead but always found myself using them for a bit, then switching to baits or another type of lure and having more success.

Last week I decided enough was enough, I'm committing a whole trip to just using SP's. Me and a mate managed to get out of Perth Metro yesterday morning and after anchoring and getting a burely trail going, I rigged up a plastic and got to work. My mate boated a skippy first up on bait but on my second cast, I hooked and boated a nice 690mm Pinkie. I continued to catch; skippy, a Breaksea cod, a small Dhufish (WA Dhuie) and another Pinkie while my mate only managed 1 more fish for the day (which happened to be a 35kg+ Samson fish haha). I was very pleased I was able to catch WA's main 3 demersal's on SP in my first (proper) attempt and all I can say to people wanting to give this a try is; persist and mix things up. In future, there'll be no bait on my boat - next step is demersal jigging.

Apologies for the dodgy photo's, it took until I got home to realise my phone's camera was on the wrong setting I couldn't resist throwing in the Sambo - the look on his face says it all.
    Attached Files
    1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

That is a top day's worth of fishing. Well done!
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Rovingman
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2014
      • Blue mountains

Great catch. I had a blast fishing on the coast last hols, 5 free dinners..
      Pajero NT RX 2011
      Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
      LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Paj man
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Perth

Thanks gents - certainly was a memorable day out.
        1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Comment

• Alex86
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Here and there

Good catch! I haven't tried much with soft plastics, got one tiny coral trout (if memory serves me right) on the ningaloo reef from the kayak...
          '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
          Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• seadie
            • Jun 2012
            • darwin

WOW that samson fish is huge! Well done. The other bonus with SPs is less mess from stinking bait squid, pilchard etc
            MY05 NP DID GLS,Custom Front&Rear Bars,Custom Side Steps,EWX Runva Winch,2"lift (Bilsteins&Lovells), Rear Polys,Chip-It Chip with EGT Gauge,Beaudesert Exhaust System, 285/75R16 BFG KM2's,Allied Rims, Custom False Floor & MSA Drop Slide, 80Lt Engel, Safari Snorkel,Rally 4000 HID's,Baja Designs 20" LED Light Bar,Bushskinz Intercooler,Sump&Tranny Plates,4.3 Ratio Diffs,Diff,Tranny&Transfer Breather Kit, Dual Battery System in seat well,ARB Compressor,Cross country TMIC,NM 4M41

Comment

• Paj man
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010
              • Perth

Agreed! I'm now consistently chosing lures over baits for pretty much all the fish I do

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X