Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-2 Pajero

Generation 4-2 Pajero NT model 2009 - 2011

Old 24-10-13

Thanks guys for all the advice,what a great forum.I will take action on all the points mentioned and will report back if I have any further problems
Thanks again
Bill
Old 24-10-13
Valued Member

I recently did Cunnighams gap in my NT towing 1500kg camper. Not the same thing I know, but I had no issues passing people going up and sitting on or above the speed limit the whole time, including slowing down and accelerating back up again for traffic in places. (Even managed to drag race a Prado towing a camper who tried to outaccelerate me up the hill when I went to pass him ... he lost). Needle didn't move and performance was good.
2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.
Old 24-10-13
Who ya gunna call....

An extra tonne would change that. My old TD Hilux towed a 1.6tonne van around the country side for over a year. About 20000k's all up.
Cooling system was a one but on hot days 30+ we still had to used the heater on steep climbs.

I do find it funny that off all the things that will put the PJ into limp mode a cooking motor isn't one of them. It's terminal!
Old 25-10-13
Valued Member

you can try http://www.evanscooling.com
Old 25-10-13
Valued Member

Something to keep in mind is that the difference between your temperature needle sitting at normal (just under half) and then at the upper end of the scale near hot is only a few degrees from memory, something like 5 or 8 degrees.

I have a 2+ tonne boat and where I launch it from means I have to tow it up a very steep and long hill. With four blokes inside the car and towing the boat it's a third gear job and has the Paj working hard. When the ambient temp is above 30C, by the time we've got to the top of the hill the needle at times has been sitting at about the 2/3 position. Once over the hill and back on flat ground the needle will return to it's normal operating position within 20-30 seconds - so very quickly.

I'd definately agree with the point about switching off the aircon and turning the heaters on full and winding down the windows while going up the hill (I turn the setting to the demister). It's surprsing how much that little bit extra in heat exchange ability effects the temp, because ever since I have been using this technique my needle barely moves from the normal operating range, even when towing up the hill on the hottest days.
Old 25-10-13
Valued Member

The air con will automatically shut down if engine labours to much and is running hot, it's a safety feature as I found out other week.
Old 25-10-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I recently did Cunnighams gap in my NT towing 1500kg camper. Not the same thing I know, but I had no issues passing people going up and sitting on or above the speed limit the whole time, including slowing down and accelerating back up again for traffic in places. (Even managed to drag race a Prado towing a camper who tried to outaccelerate me up the hill when I went to pass him ... he lost). Needle didn't move and performance was good.
Last year I towed my 2500kg van through Cunninghams gap without any fuss or worry. Paj was loaded up with self and 4 passengers, plus a fat dog, and the van was loaded up with luggage etc. performance same as above

David
Old 25-10-13
Valued Member

Had very similar experience.
Blown fuse on the thermo fan.
2013 NW GLX-R Factory Locker, TC mod,Dual Battery, 240V inverter, Anderson Plug, Fire Extinguisher. GME TX3500 UHF Radio, MM Alloy Bar, ORU 12000lb Winch,EGR mod, Fancy wheels, 33" Pirelli ATR Tyres, LRA Aux tank, Custom bash plates & Rock sliders, Ultra Gauge, ARB Compressor, LED Light bar, little mods around the cabin. Kings Std Ratecoils & Ultimate Shocks, Firestone HP airbags, Airteck Snorkel, Hema 6. Towing: Starcraft outback
Old 25-10-13
Who ya gunna call....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchin Jack View Post
The air con will automatically shut down if engine labours to much and is running hot, it's a safety feature as I found out other week.
Would this not be to late if the ac was on during the climb and it only shut off when the engine/cooling system was as tip over point if you know what I mean.

Better to turn off before the climb.

If your worried get your cooling system checked out but I don't think theg will find anything as it it only happening in extreme conditions.
Old 28-10-13
Valued Member

Hi,

I towed our 2.3t full caravan up Toowoomba range a year ago on a 40C day, I have an Ultragauge and kept a close eye on the intake air and cooling water temps. I played it conservatively and ended up down to 40km/hr for some of it, mainly because I didn't want the water temp to go over 105. Unfortunately the slower you go the less flow on the intercooler and the intake are reached 100C also. There was a lot of unused power and the engine never missed a beat. Temp gauge never went into the red but was definitely higher than normal.

Cheers,
Karl