• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RodMac
    • Aug 2008
    • Sunshine Coast Qld

Access through firewall

I am contemplating fitting driving lights and ask if anyone knows a relatively easy or accessible way to get the cabling required for the cutout switch through the firewall, or do I have to simply drill a hole through the firewall.
    And then I need to find a place to put said switch !
    Any clues or advice appreciated.
    2016 NX GLS.
    Last edited by RodMac; 26-10-19, 12:12 PM. Reason: Model ID
  • Ian Sharpe
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2000
    • Tasmania

I’ve generally gone through the rubber grommet where the steering column goes thru the firewall. In my NL I did drill a 1” hole with a hole saw and put a rubber grommet around that. If you drill be careful as to what’s on the other side!
    NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
    NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

In SA we don't have to use a cutout switch & can simply use a "add a circuit" device that plugs into the fuse socket for the high beam fuse in the fuse box under the bonnet. Unsure if other states allow this method.

I believe there are also wireless remote switches that save having to run a cable through the firewall.
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• drgtr
        • Sep 2019
        • Rosemeadow

Originally posted by RodMac View Post
        I am contemplating fitting driving lights and ask if anyone knows a relatively easy or accessible way to get the cabling required for the cutout switch through the firewall, or do I have to simply drill a hole through the firewall.
        And then I need to find a place to put said switch !
        Any clues or advice appreciated.
        2016 NX GLS.
        Either rubber gromit on driver side. Thats abit small but poke a hole through it.

Easiest way but longer run is the passenget side massive loom rubber cover. two 10mm bolts and you are through!

Comment

• oscaroo
          • Dec 2017
          • Sydney

Afaik in NSW you don't need an in-cabin switch either. As long as it's highbeam only

Comment

• Keithyv
            Valued Member
            • May 2018
            • Perth

I'd never be drilling through the firewall!

Plenty of places to go through - massive rubber grommet on passenger side is probably the easiest.
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• farcanal
              • Mar 2010

+1 on the "not drilling the firewall"
              Too much stuff that can get injured.
              I've always just poked wiring through existing rubber grommets.

Comment

• Drewan
                • Apr 2017
                • Adelaide

Your really only talking about running 1 wire extra through, so the hard part is getting your hand in to send it through, next to an existing bundle. And as has be eluded to fuse taps are better than sex
                Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Victoria

you can always use the accessory wires prefitted to the factory harness. There are three, factory towbar wiring uses 1, if you have trailer brakes you use another, so 1 is left. connector is 4 pin connector on inner guard (only has 3 wires) and the other end is in left hand kick panel in bottom corner
                  2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• farcanal
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
                    you can always use the accessory wires prefitted to the factory harness. There are three, factory towbar wiring uses 1, if you have trailer brakes you use another, so 1 is left. connector is 4 pin connector on inner guard (only has 3 wires) and the other end is in left hand kick panel in bottom corner
                    Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of this, if possible.

Comment

• Stinky
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Gladstone, qld

Shitload of room in the main firewall grommet. Easy to do. Or you could use a remote control switch. I've got the lightforce remote control set up in my nx.
                      The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                      My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• Mundy55
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2015
                        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by DibbyDibbyDJ View Post
                        I'd love to see a photo, too, please.

Comment

• RodMac
                          • Aug 2008
                          • Sunshine Coast Qld

Thank you all for your input, I am planning on using the 4wd Supacentre 'Plug n Play' harness and will see if I can get the harness through main wiring loom access point when I get around to doing it and I did notice a grommet on passenger side so will investigate a bit more.

I have just fitted one of these to a Grand Vitara and they work well, as long as you use the 12 volt relay not the 24volt relay DOH !!

regards to all

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

To get through the main harness grommet on the L side firewall, you undo the metal clamping bracket (10 mm bolts from memory, slide the bracket away and then you have easy access to the engine bay side. Access to the inside requires you to remove the kick panel forward of the L door. Easy.

Comment

• jackhays
                              • May 2013
                              • Adelaide

I used the large grommet on the passenger side, unbolted it to allow me to see what was inside the cable run.

Then I decided to make a small cross nick in the rubber and fed my switch cables through that.

The rubber closed back over the cable nicely then I used some sealant tape and wrapped around the cut I had made. I'm putting a second battery in the engine bay and it will cover the grommet so I wanted to make sure the grommet was sealed and ok.

Oh, I ran an aerial cable at the same time even though I didn't have the radio yet, same reason, the battery will block access to the grommet

Note I did run two switches through the grommet, I decided it would be good to leave the spotties and light bar isolated around the city and I have a switch for each.

BTW I didn't have to remove anything inside the passenger compartment to get to the cables I fed through
                              MY16 NX GLX, MM towbar and lift kit, HPD Catch Can, EGR mod, Bushskinz, ECB Alloy BullBar, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm, Bridgestone AT697

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X