• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasePaj
    • May 2020
    • Victoria

is the NS really that temperamental?

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well. Im planning to buy my first 4x4 and really loving how the Paj's look and perform. However ive heard that the NS has alot of issues with the DPF causing issues and a meriad of other issues. The car I'm looking at is a 2007 VRX-NS diesel with 187xxxkms and fully modded. Is it better to just go for the NT/NW?

Cheers!
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

EDIT: beat me to it. Please don't post duplicates of your own threads if you can avoid it.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2016
      • Greater Sydney

And here by same poster.

Comment

• aussieintas
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2013
        • Sorell, Tasmania

Jasepaj........I have replied in your previous thread.
        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

For what it is worth, a member on this forum (kiwi????, sorry, I cannot remember the full title) has a Shogun (Pommie Pajero) NS which he has driven through Morocco, all sorts of places around Eastern Europe and his latest was from New Zealand to London, so they cannot be that bad. He is not a mechanic, but obviously knows his Pajero inside out. The main problem with the NS seems to be the DPF, which by a relatively simple modification (illegal) can be bypassed. But even without that, regular highway driving seems to burn the gunk out of the system. The NT and NW have a higher power output, but I find that I rarely use full power anyway. The auto transmission is different, but apparently still reasonably strong and if you get a manual transmission version, it originally had a dual mass flywheel which could crap out over time and would need replacing with a single mass version. Other than the above, the NS is essentially the same vehicle as the later NT, NW and NX Pajeros.

Like any used vehicle, the primary concern in buying one is its prior life. Look under and over it carefully. Is the body straight (has it been pranged)? is the underside badly scratched or bent? Look under the door seals. If there is red dust, it could have been a mine vehicle in WA (this is not a positive test but it gives a guide to its previous service life - my NW has some red dust under the seals and it hasn't been to the Kimberley - yet). What spec is the vehicle? If it is a base model, again it could have been a mining vehicle or a hire car. Check the service log book, but don't rely totally on that. I once bought a Range Rover from a friend. The engine oil had been changed regularly at 10000 km, but that 10000 km took up to 19 months to come up and the inside of the engine was rather heavily crudded up with a varnish like resin. I used to change my engine oils every 5000 km at that stage, and I soon transformed that engine into a much smother and more powerful beast.

Look for signs of rust on the seal area of the door frames - that was a known problem with the NS (and NT as well). Suspension will probably be shagged by now - be prepared to spend some money on that.

Overall, they are not a bad vehicle and are essentially the same as the later NT/NW versions. Just be prepared to have to spend money on the DPF system, but if you direct your money in the right direction, you may get a very good vehicle much cheaper than the later models.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X