• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sabre
    • Apr 2010
    • SE Qld

DPF Solution Summary?

I had an NW pre purchase inspected this morning, and it failed dismissally, so I moved onto our next choice, a 08 NS Auto Diesel with 140klm.

I have read 10 pages of the 90 odd regarding DPF, until my head started to hurt!

Is there anyone out there who can give me a summary and solutions to this problem? I would have thought by now there would be a definitive solution?

Hope someone can help.... thanks.
  • Trisome
    • Dec 2012
    • Bray Park

You can fix them without a great deal of trouble, the problem is most people don't know including the dealers.

You have obviously read the wealth of info on this forum, I will try to summarise.

* do the software update, this reduces the ferocity, frequency and duration of the burns.
    * run the right oil
    if you tow or want more power
    * chip
    * exhaust
    * air filter

If you want to drive one that works, come over for a 10 minute drive.

Trisome
    Last edited by Trisome; 31-12-17, 05:26 AM.
    2007 VRX, Cold Air, HPD Intercooler, 3" Exhaust, Just Autos Tune, Lovels Springs, EFS Shockies.

Comment

• Sabre
      • Apr 2010
      • SE Qld

Trisome,

Thank you for your insight, I very much appreciate it and your offer, I may well take you up on that, even for a bit of a chat.

I simply want something to be able to drive, and occasionally tow a trailer and caravan without some dreaded and what appears to be an inevitable end! Seriously though, while having the discussion with my neighbour, what is the proabability......obviously if someone has a problem they tell the world, whereas how many people without a problem tell the world?

Comment

• DrewW
        • Nov 2011
        • Gold Coast

Hi Sabre

I am one of what may be a dpf silent majority. I have had my NS SWB since 2012 and have had no troubles. I occasionally tow an 1800 odd kg off road hybrid and before that an Ultimate camper trailer. Done Birdsville, the Gulf etc with no problems. Had a Spider chip but diced it because feel usage went up 13%, both around town and towing on cruise control. Love the shorty and hope to keep it for many years to come. Mind you it is only now coming up to 120000kms. Cheers
        NS SWB 3.2 DiD Auto. 2" lift, King springs, Bilstein shocks, Bushkinz bash plates, Airtek snorkel, BRC breathers,TJM Bullbar, 12000lb Grande Winch,Tyredog TPMS,Nomad valve body & TC lockup kit

Comment

• kiwi1973
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • New Zealand

I've had no real issues with the DPF in my 2007 model, though I did just a couple of weeks ago decide to remove it anyway for other reasons. Thing is that it probably won't cause trouble, but if it does it can be removed. Where people go wrong is that they then think you need a special DPF delete pipe and ECU reprogramme etc, which is not the case. There is a little bit of know how involved however, such as if deciding to replace the temp sensors with resistors, or just disabling the system entirely.
          2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

• Patagonia
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

If I wanted to buy these days I would look for an NT, no dpf issues (early ones have hi flow dpf and later ones no dpf) better fuel economy, more power and torque and a little more silent cabin.

Enviado desde mi SM-J500M mediante Tapatalk
            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• craka
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Newcastle (Newie)

Guess I'm a bit of the silent DPF ones too.
              My shorty is up to 195000kms, I'm the second owner since 88000kms and have had no DPF issues. I make certain it takes low ash oil of the correct specification, by doing my own oil changes. Use it for every day use and for longer drives, but it only very rarely gets a short 5min run or so most runs would be at least of 20minutes of non stop start traffic.
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• DrewW
                • Nov 2011
                • Gold Coast

Good point about your trip duration Craka. When not on a very rare long trip, my only usage is 5km to golf twice a week, and driving 1km to my partner's place most days. I am a perfect candidate for dpf problems yet don't get them. How do I check that I do have a dpf in fact or whether the previous owner got rid of it?
                NS SWB 3.2 DiD Auto. 2" lift, King springs, Bilstein shocks, Bushkinz bash plates, Airtek snorkel, BRC breathers,TJM Bullbar, 12000lb Grande Winch,Tyredog TPMS,Nomad valve body & TC lockup kit

Comment

• P4J3R0
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Brisbane

Took my dpf as soon as I could and did the resistor mod.

300km on the clock and no issues
                  Easy and cheap fix to prevent any issues.
                  NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• pajerogsr
                    • May 2016
                    • Victoria

I had PDF issue only ones and the reason is EGR valve stuffed up

New upgraded EGR, oil catch can and still same PDF

Car has done 345 km no issues

Comment

• Simmo84
                      • Feb 2018
                      • Adelaide

Hi guys, I have another 2500 km drive to get home to Adelaide from Bundaberg and am in dire straits with this DPF/EGR. I’m looking for somewhere up here that can perform the necessary works so that I don’t end up stranded in the middle of buttfk nowhere again on the return trip. Thanks a million

Comment

• Silverfox
                        • Apr 2010
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Simmo84 View Post
                        Hi guys, I have another 2500 km drive to get home to Adelaide from Bundaberg and am in dire straits with this DPF/EGR. I’m looking for somewhere up here that can perform the necessary works so that I don’t end up stranded in the middle of buttfk nowhere again on the return trip. Thanks a million
                        Hey mate
                        The is a Mitsubishi dealership:
                        Ross Gray Mitsubishi
                        101 Takalvan St, Bundaberg Central QLD 4670
                        (07) 4150 1333

Obviously don't know where you are in relation to this dealership, hopefully not far?

Cheers
                        Fox

Comment

• Simmo84
                          • Feb 2018
                          • Adelaide

Thanks silverfox but I was more looking for someone that can delete this dpf and EGR as a long term solution.

Comment

• Stoneman
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2012
                            • Melbourne

Originally posted by pajerogsr View Post
                            I had PDF issue only ones and the reason is EGR valve stuffed up

New upgraded EGR, oil catch can and still same PDF

Car has done 345 km no issues
                            What’s the upgraded EGR?
                            NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• cooperplace
                              Valued Member
                              • Oct 2010
                              • adelaide

Originally posted by Simmo84 View Post
                              I reckon you could do the resistor mod by the side of the road. There's a jaycar electronics in bundie, and they could sell you a 12v soldering iron and resistor for <$30, and you can fit it in about 45 minutes. That should fix the EGR. As mine is a NS manual, I know nothing about DPFs.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X