• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Edzhere View Post
    You could simply use an spdt relay (NO NC relay) as pictured below.

Just wire as follows:

85 - Power from momentary switch
    86 - Earth
    87a - Power from main battery (or accessories)
    87 - Power from auxillary battery
    30 - Power out to voltmeter

I did something like that in Shorty:
    Originally posted by nj swb View Post
    Well, after a little too much mucking around, the front now looks like this:

And the back looks like this:

Essentially, it switches the factory voltmeter between the starting battery and the auxiliary battery.

I could've used a simple double throw switch, but that would be too simple. That, and I couldn't find one that I liked. So I have a push button (with blue LED) and a latching relay circuit. On start-up, the voltmeter will show the starting battery voltage. Push the button, and it displays the auxiliary battery voltage, and the blue LED is on to remind me.

I couldn't find a suitable switch to revert to the start battery, so I have to turn the ignition off to reset. But, with my system, if the aux battery is charging then the starting battery will be too, so I don't think it will be a significant nuisance. And it's all been done without cutting a factory wire, although I did drill / cut a few holes.

Now I just need to go away to test it.
    I made it a little more complicated than necessary, because I wanted a discrete switch, and was more interested in auxiliary voltage than main - with Shorty's system, if the auxiliary was charging then the main would be too.

I was happy with it.

Edit: on my phone, the photos were fine. On my computer, they were blurred & watermarked. They're now hosted on this forum.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X