• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Is LPG still worth it?

Given the cost comparison between lpg and petrol I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth having dual fuel. When lpg was around the $0.40 to $0.60 mark it kinda made sense but now at $0.80 it's borderline whether lpg running costs more than petrol.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

Typically, you use about 25% more LPG than petrol for the same conditions. If you already have an LPG conversion, then while ever the petrol cost is 20% more than LPG, you are still in front. However, if you are considering getting an LPG conversion, I would seruiously look at it, because I doubt that the economics will be there any more. FWIW, I compared LPG and diesel costs a long time back, and as long as LPG was less than half diesel costs, I considered that I was ahead with my LPG;. The only downer with LPG was the lack of range, yet I managed to tow my 16.5 ft poptop caravan around the block 3 times using LPG almost exclusively. I only used 2 tankfuls of petrol in each trip. That was in my old NL, which had 45L of petrol (plus a 20 L jerrycan which was filled when LPG was scarce) and 60L of LPG. I used to get around 330 - 340 km from the gas system before it died. In areas where there was no LPG, I used to keep the gas tank full as a reserve, and then use petrol until I got back into an area where I could get LPG.To do this, I rigged a realy for the petrol pump so that when LPG was selected, the petrol pump was not running.

Naturally, roads such as the Gibb River Road were out of bounds for the caravan, but I still manaqged to cover a lot fo that road by camping at each end and then expolring. Now, I have a diesel, and I can get around 650 to 700 km from a tank (no jerry can). That is with the caravaqn attached. Much better.
    Last edited by erad; 10-10-17, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

NO.
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Many moons ago I had a newish XD Falcon. I put it on gas. Gas was around 6-8 cents a litre. I also had some sort of electronic timing module put on and when installed it was set up on a dyno. It produced around 5% less horse power than when on petrol and when changing over you couldn't tell the difference. It worked out that I was using about 15% more gas than petrol for the same mileage. It was well worth the effort then. Now I wouldn't bother. Gas producers and government are thieving from us too much now. Maybe good if you do high mileage in the suburbs but you,d want to doing 1000klm+ a week to see any real worth. Its a pity that gas costs stuff all to extract and produce when compared to petroleum products. The working man is a soft target for govts and greedy corporations. Still cheaper than bottled water though....lol

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

Unless you live in Melbourne I wouldn't do it - the only place in Australia with cheap LPG. I've had 3 LPG cars and whilst cheap on fuel, range was terrible, filling on a hot day was painful. Trying to find a good LPG mechanic is almost impossible nowadays and fewer service stations are installing LPG bowsers on the new/upgraded sites.
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• spot01
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Adelaide

Also consider with less people using autogas availability may become an issue as the demand falls. I read somewhere that some servos have removed their autogas pumps - last week I noticed an autogas pump with "out of order" written on it - the notice looked quite old.....
            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• rykiel575
              • Sep 2017
              • Sydney

I had a BA falcon on dual fuel.
              I bought it with the conversion already done so I didn't really have cause to regret it although dual fuel vehicles probably had a 2k premium over the straight petrol ones.

Whilst it was okay and gave me a saving of about $4 per 100kms (compared to straight fuel) the additional maintenance on the LPG system made it not really worth it.
              2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• Skexis
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2012
                • Adelaide

Replies near enough mirror my own thoughts. I've got LPG on my NP however it's never worked since I bought the car nearly a year ago and I haven't really missed it as I'm a low mileage user anyway.
                "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• 2007_pajero
                  • Oct 2012
                  • Adelaide

very interesting discussion going on here. I had LPS fitted to my last NS V6. It was top of range vapour system and I sold that car after doing 210000km . Absolutely no issues with LPG or the engine. You can only par even LPG fitting cost if you decided to minimum of 100K else its not worth it.

Only downside is low range. Was getting only 380km out of full 65L tank and it does take time to fill up.
                  2007 NS--- Sold
                  2014 NW--Current

Comment

• Ricstar
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Brisbane

Slightly diverging from the question of "Is LPG worth it"?

I have an NP Pajero with the Impco Sequent - Multipoint injected LPG.

Based on original cost to install, the repair costs are now eating into any savings.
                    My Impco LPG ECU has died. About $1200 to supply and fit a new one.

So searching for a 2nd hand one. Anyone know of a wrecked Paj on LPG with the Impco LPG system?

Thanks in advance
                    03 NP Exceed 3.5 Auto - LPG Inj, Tinting, 2.5t tow, Piranha / Remco dual battery setup, Maxxis 771 265/70/R16 - LT, GME 3420 UHF, 2" lift Kings and Bilstien?s, Engel 40L, Custom rear shelf, one wife, one child, Jayco Swift, no boat, And a Toy Poodle who prefers to ride in the Paj over the Commodore (My Mitsubishi Puppy).
                    Xmas list, Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Smartbar

Comment

• Skexis
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2012
                      • Adelaide

You'll probably be better off putting a wanted ad in the Marketplace.

Comment

• coneye
                        • Oct 2008
                        • adelaide

When i got my Pajero 2008 model , i put gas on the week i bought it ,, 97,000 klm later probably broke even , but now i doubt , if i would spend the money , remember them doubling the price of gas systems , because we got the govt grant . Never seen a biusness put itself out of buisness like they did ,

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2000
                          • Tasmania

Originally posted by coneye View Post
                          When i got my Pajero 2008 model , i put gas on the week i bought it ,, 97,000 klm later probably broke even , but now i doubt , if i would spend the money , remember them doubling the price of gas systems , because we got the govt grant . Never seen a biusness put itself out of buisness like they did ,
                          Yeah that caper was such a scam , happened everywhere
                          I haven't had gas on a vehicle for years now & that's after having it on 5 previous cars.
                          I see now that gas is 86 c / l in Cbr now .
                          Gas will be done in a few years with diesels & hybrids becoming so popular.
                          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• fourocker
                            • Jan 2018
                            • Blue Mountains NSW

LPG is redundant, no real savings, shorter engine life, extra maintenance and poor range, I believe they're trying to price it out of the market so people move away from it......just my opinion.

Comment

• Dark13one
                              • Mar 2018
                              • Australia

Used to own a 2003 GU patrol auto using 285/75/16 all terain tyers ... got about 17/100 on petrol and 23/100 on lpg ... thats hwy usage no trailer and no roof rack ... used to get about 350 klms out off gas .. costs wise had to run it on lpg to make it cheap enough to use .....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X