• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jared01
    • Dec 2016
    • Sydney

Which PS replacement or auxiliary fuel tank do you have

Hello,

I swapped over from a NW Pajero to a 7 seater GLS Pajero Sport about 4 months ago.

Enjoying the car but think the fuel tank is a little small. I'm going to see if towing at 100km/h helps a little but I am interested in either purchasing a auxiliary fuel tank or replacing the main tank altogether.

Just after some feedback as to if you have done this, which one did you buy, why and how much was it installed.

I do not want to relocate my spare wheel.

We tow a 2t dual axle Jayco Starcraft outback caravan loaded up to 2.5t with 2 adults and 3 kids in the car as well as all the bikes and other associated equipment.

Thank you!
    2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel
  • denisp
    • Dec 2018
    • Mt Eliza

We would like a larger tank but just completed 9000km trip towing our 2400kg caravan with the existing tankage. Had 2 x 20l diesel cans on the back of the caravan for just in case, only used 10l from one the whole trip when out on the dirt.
    Fuel stops are good to have, they break the journey, so will not bother with a larger tank.

Might fit an extra spare wheel though, as spares are not always readily available.
    Considering fitting it on a two bar roof rack and will only carry extra spare when going off road or on long towing trips.
    Denis

Comment

• jared01
      • Dec 2016
      • Sydney

Originally posted by denisp View Post
      We would like a larger tank but just completed 9000km trip towing our 2400kg caravan with the existing tankage. Had 2 x 20l diesel cans on the back of the caravan for just in case, only used 10l from one the whole trip when out on the dirt.
      Fuel stops are good to have, they break the journey, so will not bother with a larger tank.

Might fit an extra spare wheel though, as spares are not always readily available.
      Considering fitting it on a two bar roof rack and will only carry extra spare when going off road or on long towing trips.
      Denis
      Hello Denis,

Thanks for your feedback.

What sort of speeds and L/100 were you getting.

Also did you tow in manual mode sitting in 7th mostly etc?
      2019 Pajero Sport GLS | Factory Alloy Bullbar | BFGoodrich T/A KO2 265/60/18 Tyres | Hayman Reese Towbar | Rhino Roof Racks | Uniden 8060S and AT970BK Twin Aerial | Safari Snorkel

Comment

• ron2503
        • Dec 2017
        • Alex Hills

Hi Jared,
        We installed an Outback Accessories 112L LRT. Cost us $1600 18 months ago. This is a straight swap with the existing original tank. The only problem I've had with it is that I get blow by through the breather when I fill it to the brim.
        2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
        Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
        Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• denisp
          • Dec 2018
          • Mt Eliza

Economy rate is about 16.5l/100km on average on non-divided roads. Worst was head wind going east across Barkly Hwy at 21.7l/100km.
          Normally just leave the car in drive and let it sort out the rest.
          On divided highways where speed in maintained pretty constant at about 95kph ( speedo 100kph) we get about 15.25l/100km average.
          The PS is an amazing vehicle, the other day on the Hume Hwy caught up with a long distant truck starting to slow for the grade. Planted my foot and before I knew it 110kph on the speedo accelerating up hill towing the 2400kg caravan. Passed the truck in an instant and he never caught up again.
          We have Pedder air bag suspension helpers on the rear to keep the vehicle level, no WDH.
          At the end of a days towing the vehicle tells me between 75kph and 80kph average speed for the trip, with slowing going through towns, road works etc..

Denis

Comment

• The Commodore
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2009
            • Macarthur Region NSW.

Ron, I had the same problem when we put the Outback Accessories tank on and still can get it to a lesser extent.
            My cure was to raise the breather height.

To do this I just added a short length of rubber fuel line to the end of the existing overflow and curved the top down to stop any crap dropping into the top of the the new piece of hose.

You just need to pop the plastic clips off the cover that is covering the existing end of the overflow, remove the cover or maybe just pull it to one side and add the new piece of tube. I think I used a cable tie to form the "shepherds crook" on the top. When done just put the cover back on using the plastic clips that you removed.

It doesn't cure the problem completely but does fix the problem if you keep more of an eye on the level you fill it to, particularly when filling at sites that are not level.

One things for sure it's a hell of a lot better than carrying fuel when towing.
            Regards.....Keith.

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by denisp View Post
              We have Pedder air bag suspension helpers on the rear to keep the vehicle level, no WDH. Denis
              That's not a good way to set up. The air bags do nothing to get the weight off the back axle and my guess is that you would be illegal with too much weight over the rear wheels. Not to mention the safety aspect, particularly with a van that size a WDH should be fitted.
              2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• denisp
                • Dec 2018
                • Mt Eliza

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                That's not a good way to set up. The air bags do nothing to get the weight off the back axle and my guess is that you would be illegal with too much weight over the rear wheels. Not to mention the safety aspect, particularly with a van that size a WDH should be fitted.

Ian,
                Air bags do not alter loading, but they do level a ride.

The loading of our PS with our caravan hitched is such that both front and rear suspension of the PS is about 90% - 93% of maximums each, without a WDH. The airbags prevent rear sag as the PS rear suspension is fairly soft.

When off the bitumen on lots of dirt roads you have to unhitch a WDH anyway as you do when crossing a lot of curbs up North to get to a parking spot or fuel bowser.

If a WDH is not disconnected, it might put a force couple on the hitch that would be less safe than our set up. Where is the safety you mention then.

Don't knock it, everything works well, nothing unsafe about it.

Denis

Comment

• ron2503
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Alex Hills

Originally posted by The Commodore View Post
                  Ron, I had the same problem when we put the Outback Accessories tank on and still can get it to a lesser extent.

To do this I just added a short length of rubber fuel line to the end of the existing overflow and curved the top down to stop any crap dropping into the top of the the new piece of hose.

You just need to pop the plastic clips off the cover that is covering the existing end of the overflow, remove the cover or maybe just pull it to one side and add the new piece of tube. I think I used a cable tie to form the "shepherds crook" on the top. When done just put the cover back on using the plastic clips that you removed.

It doesn't cure the problem completely but does fix the problem if you keep more of an eye on the level you fill it to, particularly when filling at sites that are not level.

Thanks Keith. I'll give that a go.
                  2017 PS. OE Bullbar & Towbar. Uniden 7740NB UHF in Console. Roadvision 7" LED's, Custom Offroad SS bash plates, Outback Armour 2"lift; Outback Accessories 107L LRT, Towpro Elite, Masten 6 wheel TPMS.
                  Towing '99 Jayco 16' StarCraft poptop.
                  Traded 1997 Terrano II. OME with Kings Springs. ECB Bullbar

Comment

• denisp
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Mt Eliza

Originally posted by The Commodore View Post

Our extra fuel is only occasionally carried and then on the caravan. Only 40kg extra load on the caravan when tanks are full and fits comfortably in lockable cradles on the rear fender. Cost $100 for the cradles and cans a little less spent than a heavier larger diesel tank for the car.
                    Denis

Comment

• Ian H
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2015
                      • Melbourne

You need to be very careful adding weight to the rear of a caravan. In fact the major caravan repair place in Melbourne won't do it. That applies to tool boxes, bike carriers or even a second spare.
                      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• dragonjon
                        • Feb 2018
                        • sunshinecoast

I thought it was illegal to carry fuel cans on the rear of any vehicle or caravan?

Comment

• denisp
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Mt Eliza

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          You need to be very careful adding weight to the rear of a caravan. In fact the major caravan repair place in Melbourne won't do it. That applies to tool boxes, bike carriers or even a second spare.

Already knew that.
                          Don't know who you refer to as major caravan repair place, but they have their eyes closed if they do not look at jobs on a case by case basis.
                          New caravan sales centers will often add bits to the back of caravans which they would consider carefully before hand.
                          Try to watch what I am doing and look at the ramifications, so far OK.
                          By the way, it is alright to carry diesel fuel in the correct container on the back of a caravan.
                          There are rules for how much, what container and what hazardous liquid.

Denis

Comment

• OldEmmGee
                            • Jan 2016
                            • Adelaide

Just wondering if anyone has revisited the replacement fuel tank recently?

I'm keener on the metal tank (Brown Davis 112L) over the ARB Frontier (100L) for the small additional fuel for a similar price ($1,000).

I was running a much more economical car and refuelling every 2 weeks - now down to a week and a bit....350-400 km per week.
                            2018 PS; King Springs on rear; Nudgebar; Hardkorr lightbar; rear storage inc Aux battery/Redarc BCDC; Provent EGR filter; Rear diff breather; reversing floodlight; MSA mirrors for towing a Bailey caravan....rarely....

Comment

• denisp
                              • Dec 2018
                              • Mt Eliza

I would be interested to know what happens to the fuel gauge and distance prediction on the dash if tank capacity is changed.
                              Could the software changed to allow for the extra fuel capacity?
                              It would seem to be simple to change the software algorithm to allow for the change if the tank level sensor and the tank has the same characteristics as the original.
                              Mitz wouldn't allow it though would they.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X