Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Advice sought - potential for surface rust under carpets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Advice sought - potential for surface rust under carpets?

G'day all, I'm picking up a MY04 NP 3.8 petrol tomorrow arvo. Had a mechanic inspection and all good (considering the age). It's done 210,000km.

Looks like it's been on a couple of road trips and on a beach once or twice, just some minor surface corrosion underneath. Which is what I'm planning on doing with it anyway and I don't intend to keep it more than 3-4 years anyway. More importantly it appears to have been taken care of and many receipts are there from over the years. One negative point is that from the receipts I can see that it lived in Bondi for 4-5 years at one stage.

However, I'm reminded of an old MX5 I bought a few years ago which also lived in Bondi but probably for closer to 10 years. But it leaked water once in a downpour and I pulled up all the carpet to dry it out and found surface rust all through it under the carpet. Some of it quite bad.

Would it be worth my pulling up the carpet tomorrow before I pick it up (I mean just trying to lift it at the edges of course, just enough to see) in order to to check this? I've only paid a deposit at the moment. Is it a big job? Would anybody else consider doing the same if they were in my shoes, knowing it's done a couple of beach trips and lived in Bondi for a while?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HeavyPizzaz; 03-09-18, 02:54 PM.
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

To clarify, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anybody had corrosion problems under the carpets?

Comment

• starjunk
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • Sydney

Originally posted by marty085 View Post
      To clarify, I guess what I'm trying to ask is, has anybody had corrosion problems under the carpets?

Any beach car will have the potential for surface corrosion. If you pull off one of the door treads (maybe front passenger side, easy access) you'll be able to lift the carpet up enough to see.
      '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
      '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
      '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
      '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• Pwoffey
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2013
        • Adelaide

Seems a pretty simple thing to check for rust under the carpet. What you do if you find it depends on the extent of the rust, what it might take to fix it, how much the deposit was, and how much the full price is. Good luck.
        BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front, Dobinson IMLrear shocks with Kings 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
          Valued Member
          • May 2017
          • Sydney

Thanks for the replies. Was easier to pull up than I was expecting. Thankfully very clean underneath.

Comment

• Shano592
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2012
            • Central Coast NSW

Welcome to the club!
            Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
              Valued Member
              • May 2017
              • Sydney

Thanks Shano!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X