• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • k100dennis
    • Dec 2015
    • Railton, Tasmania

265/75 16's, but which ones

Time for new tyres, got 75,000 km's out of the Kumho's without any problems. I'm tossing up between BFG KM02's and Goodyear Duratrac's. Opinions welcome, don't want to start a tyre war or anything. The main of my off roading is on my father in law's property, steep, creek ford, boggy in winter, mostly getting firewood, so towing a trailer as well.
    2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

The KL78 is an AT tread pattern, the BFG KM2 is a mud tyre and the DuraTrac is a hybrid AT/MT tyre so both of these will give you better off road traction in muddy conditions. The DuraTracs will be easier to live with on the road but will not have the off road traction of a full MT tyre.

Plenty of full blown MT tyres to consider but you really do get what you pay for especially with on road handling and tyre longevity. The cheaper MT tyres provide the off road traction but do not last as long and can be down right dangerous on the bitumen.

Other AT/MT hybrid tyres to consider are Kumho MT51, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 and Cooper ST Maxx. and all of these tyres have reasonable onroad manners considering their off road ability.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• k100dennis
      • Dec 2015
      • Railton, Tasmania

Thanks Jack, I've asked some Cooper users about them and some have commented that the tyres get a bit hard in the latter part of their (long) life and this can be a problem with wet road grip etc. Again, just opinions from some. We also run the Cooper's at my workplace because they perform well in the quarry environment. Our garage guys say they see hardly any punctures with them. I'm told the Duratracs are reasonably quiet and also have sipes which assist with wet road grip, so I was leaning a bit that way.
      2004 NP Diesel, auto, GLS, white with silver trim. Kumho KL78 tyres, EGR system removed, upper rear lights connected, Rhino Rack Vortex RST, Engel MT60, Full River 120 AH AGM Deep Cycle, Enerdrive VSR, Kimberly Kamper Kakadu, HEMA HX-1, Airbag Man airbags, 2 stroke oil at 200:1.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Cooper tyres, people either love them or hate them!

I have had 5 sets of Coopers in total, 2 sets of ST on a previous 4wd and 3 sets of ST Maxx on the Challenger, best AT/MT tyre for my requirements of outback touring and beach work at GVM+ loads.
        Each set I have got between 60,000kms and 70,000kms out of 4/5 tyre sets being rotated every 5,000km to 7,500kms. I change tyres when they are worn down to 3mm to 5mm just before winter on the 3rd or 4th year of use, the insurance excess is greater than the value of the residual tyre life and I do not like running on 3/4 to 7/8 worn tyres. It is just not worth the risk.

With almost 40 years of 4wd ownership I have used Pirelli, Michelin, Uniroyal, Yokohama, Toyo, Bridgestone, BF Goodrich over the first 25 years and Cooper tyres for the last 15 years.

All tyres get noisier and harder as they age and the ST Maxx are no exception.

All AT/MT tyres consume extra fuel, 1.0 to 1.5 litres/100km if they are standard diameter and 2+litres/100km is they are a diameter and or width up.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• chippy4x4
          • Apr 2009
          • adelaide

I was put onto SAILUN tyres by a good friend of mine a few years ago. He is a mechanic on a far northern Queensland cattle station. They have tried all sorts of brands and tread styles and only ever got 6 - 8 weeks out of a set due to the rocks etc. Then the rep gave them a set of Sailun to try and now they won't buy anything else until a better one comes along. They are getting 2 to 3 weeks longer between sets and on the road vehicles they handle well. I have been running them on my Pajero and also on my Ford BA ute, and I am very happy with them. They grip well and are Quiet on the blacktop. Sure you can get better or worse, but I have found these to be a good value to $. I have a property and have found their off road ability to be good. But lets face it, with all the driving that most of us do, 99% of it is on a road of some sort. The Kumos are great and as you said you have had a good run. The pink roadhouse at Oodnadatta told me he only uses them or their sister tyre Nankangs, and that he could not remember the last time he had a flat or failure. At the end of the day it all gets back to cost, how many KMs they last, and are you happy with them. High cost does not always translate to better. Hope this helps, but then again it is my thoughts and I am getting old and dottery

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by chippy4x4 View Post
            I was put onto SAILUN tyres by a good friend of mine a few years ago. He is a mechanic on a far northern Queensland cattle station. They have tried all sorts of brands and tread styles and only ever got 6 - 8 weeks out of a set due to the rocks etc. Then the rep gave them a set of Sailun to try and now they won't buy anything else until a better one comes along. They are getting 2 to 3 weeks longer between sets and on the road vehicles they handle well. I have been running them on my Pajero and also on my Ford BA ute, and I am very happy with them. They grip well and are Quiet on the blacktop. Sure you can get better or worse, but I have found these to be a good value to $. I have a property and have found their off road ability to be good. But lets face it, with all the driving that most of us do, 99% of it is on a road of some sort. The Kumos are great and as you said you have had a good run. The pink roadhouse at Oodnadatta told me he only uses them or their sister tyre Nankangs, and that he could not remember the last time he had a flat or failure. At the end of the day it all gets back to cost, how many KMs they last, and are you happy with them. High cost does not always translate to better. Hope this helps, but then again it is my thoughts and I am getting old and dottery
            Interesting, sounds like your doing alright out of these.
            Just had look online for interest sake, come in 10 ply, 17" quick look at price $700 + Fit for set of 4.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X